Wamped IV - your opinion wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wamped IV - your opinion wanted

Because of the stress and hassle that was induced over the Wamped III contest I feel a change is in order this time around and I want to revamp the contest to make it more managable.

I thought we could discuss some ideas and see what everyone things is a good way to go.

The first thing I want to do is get rid of the sponsors and have the contest sponsored by the Wamp store. Its growing in size and I like to think it offers some decent products both in terms of eligible products (if we went that root) and indeed as prizes.

This would mean a much smaller prize fund but would make the focus on the contest much more about fun than a load of prizes. Our normal sponsored contests all have a fantastic array of prizes to satisfy peoples thirst.

I think there are 2 or 3 ways we could do the contest.

The first would be to keep the format similar to what it is now, enter anything, possibly have 2 or 3 categories. Either based on the usual sci-fi,fantasy genres or perhaps more of a free for all but have beginners,standard and expert sections.

Another option is we turn it into a more themed contest along the lines of Rotten Harvest or Chick Challenge.

yet another option is a straight up contest but entries would have to feature something bought from the wamp store but this may make the contest not so easy to participate in

My final suggestion is to have our own version of Iron Painter. It would be much different to our normal contests and plenty of room for smack talk. If we went this route I think we wouldn't advertise it outside of Wamp to keep it manageable

As always these things are a community thing so your opinion matters, let me know if you like any of these choices or maybe have your own suggestions. Even if you don't enter the contests I would still like to hear from you.
    Shop at the Wampstore

I like the variety that having lots of categories encourages. While some people may not have the minis to be able to enter the sponsor specific competitions throughout the year, Wamped is one that they know they can always have something suitable for.

I think the categories from the last competition worked fairly well as there were plenty of entries in each and a fairly good voting spread from what I could tell. Beginner/standard/expert is a nice idea as it spreads the prizes round and encourages those who are dismayed by some of the more stunning entries we have but where do you set the goal posts? Who decides what level a painter is at?

At the end of the day, if you're providing the prizes then we can only have as many categories as you can afford.
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

Iron Painter idea sounds awesome. it is quite difficult to organize though, and in my experience there is 30-50% in dropouts along the way... so that's something to vector in as well, if you opt for it.

Undave makes a good point about the deciding who paints at what level.

as for me, I'll take part whatever you decide

(somehow have a feeling this was not very useful LOL)
      The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Undave View Post
        Beginner/standard/expert is a nice idea as it spreads the prizes round and encourages those who are dismayed by some of the more stunning entries we have but where do you set the goal posts?
        As a clearly (IMHO) beginner level painter, I like this idea. I'm happy to enter any contest given the time to paint something, but actually having a chance (however slim) to win something (even bragging rights) appeals to me and would motivate me more to paint something new and enter it.
        Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Comment

The original Wamped contest was great but obviously has the drawback of perhaps putting off the less talented among us - doesn't apply to me I know as I'm happy to throw something in to add support.

The idea of levels is nice except for determining who is at what level, the 'experts' are easy to place but what is 'intermediate' and when does a 'beginner' lose that status.

Iron painter, how I love that competition! Yes, there are drop outs as can be expected given the tight schedule but that adds to the fun as a beginner can suddenly find themselves in the next round. The 'I Think I Can' section is always good although in IP there is no prize for it but comments from the judges which is always nice. Of course with IP there is only one winner and no separate categories although each round does have a different theme open to interpretation.
          "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Comment

Ok so keeping WAMPed IV in house great Idea! but I have a suggestion!! this comes from talking to Marko!! his club ran a painting comp and previous WINNERS competed in the Masters category?(am I right Marko?) So WAMPed IV should have 2 categories!!! Category 1 called " The Open Category" and Category 2 " The Closed Category"

Everyone except previous winners can go in the Open which will rid the issue of painting level and Only Previous Winners can go in the Closed, how many of our top flight painters have won WAMPed or sponsored events? Im guessing all of them at some point (without checking?), and at Brett's authorization of course the open would have the usual 1st 2nd 3rd places but the closed only a 1st place spot! so with out giving Bretts stock away lol the prizes would have to be small as we couldnt expect him to dish out loads of stuff like big sponsors do!

thats my suggestion!!! lol

Im not sure an IP style one is viable!! I know its worked before but when ya look at peoples lives we are all so bogged down with life how many people honestly have the time to do 2,3 or 4 rounds? so 1 round best mini wins keep it simple thats more contestant friendly that way!

ok 2pence worth over lol
            http://www.artisan-quarters.com/index.php
            http://www.brokentoad.co.uk/
            http://pnp.li/QXSl
            http://pnp.li/q9jv
            http://pnp.li/uTvk

Comment

skip the price pool, all i need is a big n nice trophy! :)

to divide the contest into standard/master is a good idea, but then again who decides what go into what?
              Skelettet S Minis at facebook

1 3 3 4 - "All truth is parallel - all truth is untrue"

Gallery (CMON)

Comment

Originally posted by SkelettetS View Post
                skip the price pool, all i need is a big n nice trophy! :)

to divide the contest into standard/master is a good idea, but then again who decides what go into what?
                Big enough?

I think previous wamp contest winners would go in expert as a rule maybe? The other option is the top cat has better prizes so the good painters want to enter that one or simply for Kudos. Doesnt Gencon and Salute have various sections. I wonder how they choose
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

that one will do, yes :D

i know that in dukes of bavaria, the entrant get to chose himself if enter standard or master. then the judges kindly ask if they want to change if they feel its good enough. I dont think they move the other way though.
                  Last edited by SkelettetS; 05-08-2013, 12:50 pm.

Gallery (CMON)

Comment

I think that sounds like the way forward as I mentioned earlier the winners go in the masters only!! and everyone else fights for first place lol I think naming the categories open and closed or something similar, will help prevent people feeling not good enough, so having the top painters duke it out in their own category will lift some pressure from the non winners out there!!
                    http://www.artisan-quarters.com/index.php
                    http://www.brokentoad.co.uk/
                    http://pnp.li/QXSl
                    http://pnp.li/q9jv
                    http://pnp.li/uTvk

Comment

or, to make more intrigues and plots, we could have a pre-voting who is going to the master selection, where only the ones that's competing can vote ;)

Gallery (CMON)

Comment

I like Wamped, because if nothing else it means I can enter GW minis into a competition on here if I wanted to! Unless Brett sorts the unthinkable and actually gets a GW sponsored event :D

There's plenty of opportunities for 'booby prizes' as well as no-one takes themselves too seriously!

I know you want to keep it in house Brett, but with enough warning, you could probably take some of that stress/financial impact away by asking around first?

Maybe it could work like the formula one qualifying? So we whittle it down to a top 10 'shootout' of the best entries, and everything else goes into a second tier?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks View Post

I know you want to keep it in house Brett, but with enough warning, you could probably take some of that stress/financial impact away by asking around first?
                          This is what I want to move away from though, to create something more easy logistics wise. There's no problem getting sponsors but sorting them all out is time consuming

I like the knockout style idea but it would need to be sufficiently different from Iron Painter.

A straight up contest with a theme would probably be the easiest. i do like the rotten harvest,chick challenge type contest but what theme would we have?
                          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

For myself and what looks to be several others, the biggest attraction of past Wamped competitions was that you could enter pretty much whatever you wanted. I've got half a dozen pieces that I've been saving for the end of the year specifically so I've got something really good to enter into the competition. Imposing a theme is going to restrict that quite a lot and possibly have a detrimental effect on the number of folks who enter.

Themes and knockouts are all very well but we kind of have that already in the ladder challenges for themed head to heads and a multi-stage knockout competition could take months to resolve. I personally don't have the minis or the will to enter several successive rounds and fit in with whatever theme is chosen in each round (apologies if I'm misunderstanding how IP works here.) I don't mind buying the odd mini for a competition if it's something I'd probably get anyway (a competition is as good an excuse as any) but I don't really want to be shelling out for a load of minis I didn't really want because I don't happen to have anything that fits.

Also, not advertising it outside of Wamp would cut down on the numbers and make it easier to run, but that's not what Wamped should really be about. We want to use the competition as an advert for how great Wamp is to attract more folks to join and contribute and to get exposure for the store. Aside from Portal, Wamped is the single biggest way we can get the rest of the internet to realise what we are about and how amazing we all are, it would be a shame to waste the opportunity.

If you really wanted to use a theme, how about doing what we did in Wamped I (or was it a Warlord competition?) and have a special prize only available to those entries which fit that theme? That way folks can go to town with whatever they want or think up a bit of strategy to incorporate the theme into their entries. It's also a good way to spread the fun around.
                            "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
                            "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
                            "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
                            "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
                            "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
                            "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

good points undave.

The theme thing would be something like Monsters or evil or something like that, something generic that leaves people scope to paint a variety of minis rather than a too specific theme like 'woodland creature carrying a ghetto blaster'
                              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Working...
                              X