SNP calling for Scottish independance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP calling for Scottish independance

What's all this about the SNP wanting Scotland to be independant? Does this happen often? I'm English but consider myself to be British first and foremost so I would actually be devastated to see the UK possibly be dismantled because of some fanatical William Wallace characters (my own opinion obviously). Do they not realise both countries would be best off together? All they will do is leave one Union just to join the European Union, a union so large that an insignificant country like Scotland would get hardly any influence. Why should hundreds of years of history, tradition and comradery be destroyed because Salmond wants the red taken off his flag? It strikes me as being a rather large inferiority complex. A complex that is unjustified.

If there are Scots on here who want independance I'd especially love to read your views on it.

What are everyone else's views on it?

In Wales only a tiny minority are stupid enough to think we'd be better off as totally independent. They tend to be the type who learn a couple of slogans and then repeat them rather than actually engaging their brains and thinking about the implications.

If everyone in Scotland was willing to accept a pre-industrial quality of living then they should do fine. If, however, they would like to continue to enjoy the advantages of being part of the United Kingdom, it's subsidies and it's industrial, military, healthcare, infrastructure, cultural and financial advantages then perhaps they should just start to be a little realistic. I doubt very much that what comes out of Alex Salmond's mouth is the same as what he expects or even wants, but he also knows the importance of tapping into a small nation's pride for political gain.
    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
    Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

Regional devolution is probably a better way to go, tax revenue raised in Scotland ought to be spent on Scotland not on some statues in London. I know it's not anywhere near that simple but people do have a tendency to find causes close to home. More money tends to get spent closer to the centres of government who control that money than on the periphery which is sometimes out of sight and out of mind.

Complete independence is a wee bit un-realistic. All the treasury, civil and military equipment belongs to the United Kingdom, if they seceded and had to give it back they'd be penniless and completely defenceless.
      "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
      "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
      "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
      "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
      "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
      "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

I am not sure the SNP have worked out how they would actually make Scotland viable economically.

Although one can argue its better for Scottish taxes to be spent in Scotland it works both ways, there are a huge number of deprived areas in Scotland getting benefit from UK taxation. I think people would squeal pretty quickly if that got stopped. Half the reason the Scots can afford to subsidise tuition fees and care and the rest of it is because they have the best of both worlds in a sense..all the big costly things taken care of nationally so they can fund things locally.

If Scotland is so marvellous and wants independence I do wonder why so many Scots are sitting in the parliament in London.

I'd settle the West Lothian question..if you want independence, bugger off voting on any laws that affect England. I doubt the Scots would like that.

Comment

Its just chest puffing to create political hyberbole. Scotland at present is millions in debt in relation to what it spends compared to what it recieve's. Its essentially subsidised by England. Let them have independence, why should I support them getting free prescriptions, university places and hospital parking when I have to pay for all these?

It won't happen, they are probably the same folks that hate England for something that happened hundreds of years ago, there's plenty of Welsh and Irish feel the same but Scotland seems to have a lot more!! I mean I don't hate the Danish because they invaded a hundreds of years ago, get over it!

(By the way I have nothing against Scotland, I love the place (would move there if I could!) go on holiday there, heck I'm 1/4 Scottish!)
          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I think the UK is more than the sum of its parts and everyone will lose out if it gets broken up. It's like going to a BBQ and everyone brings something for everyone to share. If Wales went independent I'd be sat at home eating a mountain of potato salad.

Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubster View Post
              I think the UK is more than the sum of its parts and everyone will lose out if it gets broken up.
              Agreed, I am proud to be English but I am equally as proud to be British too. I cheer on team GB as much as I do any England team. (really bugging me people saying they will cheer on GB at the Olympics but not the GB football team because they dont like the English. HELLO!!! what about all the English in the rest of team GB then?!!
              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

One of the annoying things from a Welsh perspective ... and this may sound petty, but believe me it's important ... is that the British National Anthem has been adopted by the English rugby team as it's pre-match anthem. Now, imagine how important rugby is in Wales, then imagine a Welsh person trying to sing the English Rugby Anthem to show their British patriotism.

Have Jerusalem boys, or Land of Hope and Glory (although that refers to Britain too), or the theme tune to Call My Bluff, or anything else.

Comment

problem is we dont actually have an English National Anthem!! I think they tries Jeruselum for the commonwealth games or something but it didn't work.

Can the Welsh not adopt their most famous tune?

Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Ocelot View Post
                    What's all this about the SNP wanting Scotland to be independant? Does this happen often? (Yes, quite a lot) I'm English but consider myself to be British first and foremost so I would actually be devastated to see the UK possibly be dismantled because of some fanatical William Wallace characters (my own opinion obviously). Do they not realise both countries would be best off together? All they will do is leave one Union just to join the European Union, a union so large that an insignificant country like Scotland (Im trying very hard not to take that as an insult) would get hardly any influence. Why should hundreds of years of history, tradition and comradery (can you be a bit more specific?) be destroyed because Salmond wants the red taken off his flag? (The flag is actually blue & white) It strikes me as being a rather large inferiority complex. A complex that is unjustified. (unjustified? This is coming from someone who has just written "insignificant country")

If there are Scots on here who want independance I'd especially love to read your views on it.

I have never really bothered much about it in the past, im proud to be Scottish but also proud to be British (hey, i even support the England cricket team!) If however the UK were to leave the EU i would be a little concerned regarding my position here in Germany (would i still retain the same rights as an EU citizen etc?)

What are everyone else's views on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
                      problem is we dont actually have an English National Anthem!! I think they tries Jeruselum for the commonwealth games or something but it didn't work.
                      A rugby anthem doesn't need to be an official national one, look at Ireland's crazy rambling Eurovision entry.

Comment

Sorry, i could not resist posting this:

Comment

A bump (and maybe a ban?)

I care not

Comment

I'm English first and British second and I think most of us here that this concerns feel the same way. I would hate for the union to be broken up and I feel Alex Salmond and his SNP, although claiming Scottish independence as the reason for being elected, knows the only reason they are in power is because Labour failed in the last couple of Scottish elections; you can tell this because of his reluctance to actually go to the people and ask the question. And now he want to ask 2 questions... I think one question should be and whatever the result it should then be put to bed and either Scotland stands on it's own or remains part of the union. I dread this Devolution Max which I think is the preferable result for the SNP because the rest of the union will still have to subsidise Scotland as well as them raising their own taxes, so in effect they get the best of both worlds.

Comment

If Scotland leaves the UK, do they take all their Leprechauns with them?

JK!
                              "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                              -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Working...
                              X