No announcement yet.

A Look Ahead at New Homes of 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being that construction was my former career I'll add my tuppence worth.

Yes new uk homes are getting smaller, though to be honest the standard of construction doesn't seem to have changed that much. It was never very high to start with so that's not saying much.

You have to understand how things work from the developers point of view. Land to build on is the biggest cost. Sub-contract labour to build the things is the next. Materials that go into each dwelling are the smallest amount. The quicker that a house can be completed the less it costs to build it, so building practices have changed. Less skilled work, more components.

Basically a new home is a facing brick outer skin, occasionally broken up with rendered or close boarded timber portions. Block work inner skin. Internally the inner blockwork face is drylined, and then painted.

Drylining is the name given to sticking sheets of plasterboard onto the front of the blockwork walls. Plumbing is 90% plastic push fit pipe now, the internal woodwork is MDF, again stuck on the drylining. Upstairs flooring is chipboard, on engineered joists, which are lengths of sterling board with real timber caps top and bottom. These are hung off the blockwork walls by galvanised joist hangers.

Windows are pre-made uPVC and the roof is form by pre-made trusses; and if you saw how they are fixed together you'd laugh.

Probably the material cost of a new 4 bed house is around 15 - 20,000. Prices vary regionally, but here in the north west of Essex you would be looking at paying 350 - 400,000 to buy one.

And that's not a bad mark-up per unit.
    www.miniature-heroes.co.uk

Comment

Yup, not far off just up the road on t'Essex coast. A construction company that we used to provide windows to worked out that a 3 bedroom bungalow cost around 55k-60k to buy the land and build upon (this goes up or down according to how many units could be crammed into the space provided. A family sized home goes on the same sized plot and just has a second storey, without necessarily adding any more rooms (maybe additional wet rooms).
      Both of these are/were selling at around 200k-250k. Nice mark up, and it tends to mean that around a 25%/33% take up of the properties built on release allows the constructor to break even.
      CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
      Originally posted by TheProdigalGamer
      You people scare me

Comment

I read a report taht in many areas of the UK its cheaper to build your own home than to buy one. It gets even cheaper if you use soem of Eco materials avaliable or materials normally used on commercial buildings, if you spend time looking around it can be done very cheaply apparently.
        http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
        http://irregular-magazine.com
        http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
        http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Comment

This is true, IF you can get a half decent plot, and for half decent money, but in a nutshell, yes.
          CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
          Originally posted by TheProdigalGamer
          You people scare me

Comment

Same old story, if you have the capital you can afford to save money.
            "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
            Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Iacton View Post
              Fair enough, but I live in a leafy village. If I lived in the nearest big town, the equivalent value property would get me about a 1/3 less space. If I were spending the same cash on a place in London I might get lucky and get a one bed flat with a separate kitchen/lounge from the bedroom and bathroom!
              Works the same way in this country, though some areas are worse than others. New York is worst, followed by big cities in California. Currently I am near St. Louis, let me tell you my shock when I learned I could easily buy a house here if I had a small downpayment of 2000 dollars and a steady job I have been to for a year! Houses are as low as 40,000 here. They get more in the city, but the price hike when you start that low makes it still look cheap. I can't wait to finally be a homeowner, even if I don't like the area as much.
              The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
              Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
              My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
              Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

$40,000 for a house? Holy crap! Even the cheapest houses over here couldn't be bought for less than around 80,000, which equates to about $130,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubster View Post
                  Even the cheapest houses over here couldn't be bought for less than around 80,000, which equates to about $130,000.
                  Mines up for 70,000 and thats fully renovated entire house rewired, re plumbed, relined and plastered, windows kitchen all second fix renewed fields overlooking on 3 sides on a lane big rooms, and still no takers. problem is 200 yards away the investors can pay 30k for a house

(in fact heres mine: http://www.pattinson.co.uk/Property-...-Wingate/89643)
                  Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Nice place mate. That kitchen looks pretty sweet. Hope it sells once and for all.

Comment

Here's our place, it's really convenient for commuting.

000822_tin_shack.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by NeatPete View Post
                        Nice place mate. That kitchen looks pretty sweet. Hope it sells once and for all.
                        cheers mate, fitted myself (did most if the work actually) selling another matter been on for 3 years and we have halved the price
                        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
                          cheers mate, fitted myself (did most if the work actually) selling another matter been on for 3 years and we have halved the price
                          Just tell the buyers once they buy it and you move away, the neighborhood sex offender will finally be gone. :P

Comment

Working...
                          X