Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

England, Great Britain, The United Kingdom and all that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did a lot of UK history and I did quite a bit on colonial Africa and the slave trade at University as part of my degree.

I can't understand why they don't teach history as if it existed and not as if its something to be slightly ashamed of..though judging from what my niece learns it depends on what sort of school you go to as she's had a rounded history education.

Comment

For history A-level we did "people, power and politics", taught by 2 teachers, one giving a general overview of our country and stopping off at certain points that had significant changes, whilst the other focused on the 17th century, specifically the civil war, the interegnum and the restoration of the monarchy. As a contrast we learnt a bit of Russian history, too.

For GCSE history it was Medicine Through Time, The Wild West, local history and a couple of other things.

Now, onto that video. Where do India, Pakistan, Kenya, South Africa etc fit into it? They're part of the commonwealth, but weren't listed in that category on the video.
      The eyes!, the EYES!!

...tapping fingers impatiently...

Comment

All those countries are now independent so, like Americaland, they aren't listed
        "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
        "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
        "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
        "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
        "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
        "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

Originally posted by RogerB View Post
          As a contrast we learnt a bit of Russian history, too.
          Same here, it was the only element of the the British Empire we touched on due the attempted spread of Bolshevism through British India, barring that it was America between 1918 - 1939 and the British Industrial revolution. Living in Huddersfield meant many visits to former sites of historical importance of the industrial revolution and possibly some of the most boring Thursday afternoons of my life, it turns out most weavers homes were pretty much the same

Comment

It's definitely a per school thingy. I learnt about the British Empire right from Queeny (Elizabeth I) right up to King George 5 (WW1) and all the 'bits' inbetween. Plus the usual WW2 bits.

Geography was all about crop rotation........
            sigpic

Comment

For GCSE history it was Medicine Through Time, The Wild West, local history and a couple of other things.

I did the same but also the middle east conflict
              Peace James
              https://www.facebook.com/exilespainting/
              https://www.instagram.com/exilespainting/

Comment

I did some stuff on Charlemagne, French Revolution, Russian Revolution and then gave up due to lack of interest...

I did do a fair bit of Roman history whilst studying Latin though...
                CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
                Originally posted by TheProdigalGamer
                You people scare me

Comment

For 'O' level history we got British society 1815-51 (Peterloo massacre, repeal of the corn laws etc) WWI and Russian revolution.

Cool vid David, wish i could show that to some of the people ive met here in germany. I hate to admit this but a few times when asked 'you are english?' ive just said yes, rather than deal with some of the reactions/blank expressions ive been getting when i say 'no, im scottish'.

Comment

I used to get this all the time when working with Americans, they just couldn't understand the difference or my annoyance when they called me English and I had to explain it all to them.
                    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

But Wales is part of England. Isn't that right, Martyn?

*ducks for cover*
                      The eyes!, the EYES!!

...tapping fingers impatiently...

Comment

Originally posted by War Griffon View Post
                        I used to get this all the time when working with Americans, they just couldn't understand the difference or my annoyance when they called me English and I had to explain it all to them.
                        Well, maybe the difference is clearer for European people.
                        We are blind to the world within us

Comment

But Wales is part of England. Isn't that right, Martyn?

*ducks for cover*
                          No saving throws for cover Roger, unlucky
                          "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

Working...
                          X