Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

England, Great Britain, The United Kingdom and all that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England, Great Britain, The United Kingdom and all that...

I'll be lucky to paint a single figure this year or any other. If I do manage it, no one will be more shocked than I.

Lol, nice find David, did the narrator actually pause for breath in that 5 minutes?

And people say I talk fast!!
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

Thats pretty funny

Comment

Ah, I need some time to hear well what he's saying. Damn English tongue! :confusedsign:
        We are blind to the world within us

Comment

And of course absolutely none of that is taught in schools...

I had no idea what the difference between dependencies and territories was or that there even was a difference. It's certainly interesting to see how much of the world we still have a vested interest in.
          "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
          "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
          "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
          "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
          "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
          "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

Originally posted by Undave View Post
            And of course absolutely none of that is taught in schools...
            Ahem, I studied French for 8 years at school. So I was - I am studying English by myself, a slow, hard slope to win.

Comment

Originally posted by weareblind View Post
              Ahem, I studied French for 8 years at school. So I was - I am studying English by myself, a slow, hard slope to win.
              Ah, you might have mis-understood there. What I mean is none of the stuff in the video is taught in British schools. The entire Empire thing seems to have been glossed over and geography seems to revolve around how many toilets people have.
              "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
              "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."

Comment

Ah, you might have mis-understood there. What I mean is none of the stuff in the video is taught in British schools. The entire Empire thing seems to have been glossed over and geography seems to revolve around how many toilets people have.
                Really? It sounds quite strange to me... because in Italy we study at school, and for a consistent amount of time too, English Imperial History. It is an important slice of the world history itself.

Comment

Really? It sounds quite strange to me... because in Italy we study at school, and for a consistent amount of time too, English Imperial History. It is an important slice of the world history itself.
                  Now that speaks volumes, it really does. It's almost like, as a nation, we're supposed to be embarassed about our colonial past.

Comment

Now that speaks volumes, it really does. It's almost like, as a nation, we're supposed to be embarassed about our colonial past.
                    First, thanks for the "that speaks volumes". New sentence to write down in my homework book :headbutt:
                    Funny enough, we say "questo la dice lunga - that speaks FOR LONG TIME"

Second, yes, sometimes we feel that England seems to be embarassed by a past not-so-past (in term of years). But how can I understand the world as it is today (India, Wales, England, Ireland, USA, Australia, a large part of the African continent) without knowing and understanding the colonial period?

Comment

we're supposed to be embarassed about our colonial past.
                      That sounds about right for the politicly correct crap we have to put up with these days in this country.

Although even when I was in school it seemed the curriculum at the time was the Romans and WWII (not both together) and geography was skipped over providing you could find your own way home...
                      "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

Originally posted by War Griffon View Post
                        and geography was skipped over providing you could find your own way home...
                        Tom-tom go

Comment

when I was at school history included American history and WW2, which I think are still two of the main topics
                          http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
                          http://irregular-magazine.com
                          http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
                          http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Comment

We did mainly WW2 for GCSE and then renaissance and reformation at A-level.

Comment

Tom-tom go
                              Didn't even have mobile phones when I was in school so sat navs were a thing of the future

Comment

Working...
                              X