Platic Pounds, Euro to stick with paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platic Pounds, Euro to stick with paper

So I'm working on my Q1 newsletter (for work) and I'm writing two articles about currency updates, one on the pound to polymer and one on the euro sticking with paper. I thought I'd pop over share some high level info and see what you all think?

As a banknote "professional" (I can call myself a professional because I make my living off them right?), I really like polymer notes. Other than the upfront retooling expenses, I think the features and costs of polymer notes just make more cents. (get it "cents"
    :08:)
    • Polymer banknotes are resistant to dirt and moisture, so they stay cleaner longer than paper banknotes.
    • Polymer banknotes are secure. They incorporate advanced security features making them difficult to counterfeit, while further enhancing the strong security of Bank of England banknotes.
    • Polymer banknotes are more durable. They last at least 2.5 times longer than paper banknotes, so they will take much longer to become "tatty", improving the quality of banknotes in circulation.

GBP: to start with a new Churchill fiver, followed by a Jane Autsen tener in 2016 and '17 respectively.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...hurchill-fiver

EUR:
    Sticking with their new "Europa series" in paper and added a new fiver in March '13 and just reviled the new ten with a protective coating estimated to double its lifetime.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A0C0JQ20140113

Canada, Aussie, Kiwi, and Mexico have been using polymer bills for a while now. Japan would be intersting to see switch as they take great pride in yen and their notes are usually very clean and I've heard some of their ATM's steam clean notes between uses. (who ever pits $ INTO an ATM? ) I can only imagine what people in the US would say if we switched. "Obama is literally trying to devalue the greenback again" and then all the idiots would buy more gold...)

What do you all think?
    Good/bad move to stay ahead of counterfeiters?
    Good/bad move for public health and safety?
    Good/bad move to extend the life of bills and reduce costs?
    I don't care, never lasts long enough in my pocket to notice?

It's about time Churchill got on a note. As long as they don't do them in finecast I don't think I'll really care.

Actually I can't wait to get my hands on a Churchill fiver, the happy/sad face trick will work great with that picture
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

heard about this a while back and yeah its good news. Long term cuts down costs. Plus if you wash it by accident it should last better!

By the way its tenner not tener!

You probably knew this anyway Pete but I read the other day the US prints 18 million new notes A DAY!.
      Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

LOL, I didn't!

I wonder how much of those 18 MM is to replace, and how much of that is just to "have more".

Comment

Money is money - if it helps remove counterfit stuff from circulation then that's a good step, but a lot of people prefer just to have a card, paypal, Dogecoin etc for everything with notes as a last resort.

Reducing costs over a period when a reduction in cost has been wanted by governments is probably a good thing to stop them taking away funding from elsewhere, but thats a problem for the very top and not something I'd see happen first hand.
          The Chilling Network - home of #nonstopwargaming :)

Comment

We still use the old "trusty" paper kroner here in Denmark, but I rarely carry cash these days anyway. If the long term cost is lower with polymer, then by all means, make the switch.

And while we are at it, lets switch to the Euro, so I don't have to calculate exchange rates all the time - kroner to pounds is easy enough (10:1) but Euros are 7.5:1, which I really can't be bothered with doing without a calculator.
            "Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back."
            - Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

My new paint blog - Brath's Paint Shop

Comment

BOOOO to euros!!
              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Yes, I also used to have a "get of my lawn" attitude to the euro, but the Danish krone is tied at a set exchange rate with it anyway, so I really can't be bothered with finding any more good reasons not to make the switch.

besides, you Brits still drive on the left side of the road, so nobody expects you to be reasonable.

Comment

Pete who the hell is Jane Autsen? You imbecile!
                  "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                  -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Spelling ain't my forte, especially at work where they make use EI. I'm a number jockey, spreadsheet ninja.

Comment

Originally posted by S_Dalsgaard View Post
                      besides, you Brits still drive on the left side of the road, so nobody expects you to be reasonable.
                      Yes silly of us to drive on the side thats proven to be the safer one.

The problem I have with the Euro (apart form the whole not being in Europe thing) is you are then tied into the actions of other countries. Look at Spain and Greece, so close to collapsing (and only avoided after a huge bailout)

And look at the quality of driving in those countries too - both drive on the right and they are shocking! :grin
                      Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Sure, bring up all kinds of sound arguments. That's no way to have an internet discussion.

I can actually understand why you don't want to join the Euro, but as mentioned, the Danish currency is already tied to the Euro, so the only difference would be the name for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Undave View Post
                          As long as they don't do them in finecast I don't think I'll really care.
                          I just snorted tea out of my nose at that comment!

Im looking forward to the new banknotes. I just need more of them!

Comment

Working...
                          X