Does Christmas annoy you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Christmas annoy you?

Ok maybe I am being a grouch here but Christmas these days is becoming such an annoyance. Firstly shops stocking christmas stuff in August. Half of its food that will be out of date before Christmas even comes around. People complain but then go and buy it anyway.

People reckon buying earlier spreads the cost but most of those buying earlier just end up buying more in the long run.

The music channels are already playing Christmas songs (its not even December!0 then you get others with their decoration already up 9and dont get me started on the need to plaster your house in Blackpool illuminations then complain about Electric bills!
    I hear parents constantly complaining about the cost of christmas and then go and spend hundreds on their kids. Half of it the kid doesn't even notice once they have opened the next present and all this sating the kids demands helps us develop the 'got to have everything' culture that is so prevalent these days. It wont kill them not to have the latest iphone or Call of Duty game within hours of it coming out. The old iphone will still continue to function. Sure spend money on them but why the need to give them so much? If you choose to then don't complain its too expensive YOUR choosing to spend it, no one is forcing you.

Christmas can be a wonderful and special time especially if you have children but so many think the magic of christmas is buying as much stuff as possible. Maybe its peoples belief that spending money and having new shiny things constantly makes them a better person in others eyes.

Maybe I am just a Scrooge?!!
    Shop at the Wampstore

I just hate music around christmas time..

although you make a good point here. it's all about feelings not gifts. at least it should be...
    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

I just ignore it until the 24th of December. It gets in the way, and everyone seems to think that you're required to want to join in the total bull**** that is endless Christmas themed rubbish...

Then I ignore it again after the 27th. All it does is make things expensive and difficult, it doesn't actually achieve anything. Well, it achieves forcing me to spend time near my family, who I don't get on with, so it provides some forced holiday time full of arguments I guess!

so I might be an even bigger Scrooge than you, DL!
      A model what I painted: My WIP thread

Comment

You are spot on, Brett. "Christmas creep" is occurring earlier and earlier. Lights and adverts are popping up before Halloween now. One of the larger retail chains is starting their "Black Friday" sales before Thanksgiving. Ridiculous.
        Last edited by Jabberwocky; 20-11-2012, 07:41 am.

Comment

I find it fitting:

:cheeky:
          The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

You're all a bunch of miserable Scrooges.....bah humbug to the lot of you.....lol.....and Easter will start in January
            http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
            http://irregular-magazine.com
            http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
            http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Comment

yup and I'll walk around for four months like this:

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

I hate the mall. I hate the mall even more this time of year. I do love Christmas though. Mainly because I usually get to see my familly (once or twice a year is perfect for me). I get to buy things for people that are special for me and give them to them. Get to buy a tree and decorate it with ornaments from over the years. The house smells like forest and I get to do all this while drinking nog! Can't say the music is great, but after a coulpe nog's I'm dancing with the wife...

You are right about the kids though. My nephews open a toy and want to play with it. You basically have to take it away from them and force them to open the next one. Just let the kid have a couple prezzies throughout the day and they will be happy as.

It is annoying that they start so early now. And the fact that all these people line up and camp out at 3 in the morning to get a $6 toaster from some big box corporation store that paid kids in asia a penny a day to make...But I digress.

How about some eggnog?

Comment

sadly I am split, I enjoy buying gifts for other and seeing the face they have when they open it. on the other hand my family is not vary friendly with each other and fight alot if they get together, bad mix of the rich, poor, the sane and insane. also I work in retail and the Christmas music is already playing, I wish I could break the speakers. So I am 50/50:surrender:

Comment

as a dyed-in-the-wool Pagan, it's Yule (winter solstice) and I pick and chose what I want, tree and lights, food and friends. I make it a point to give to a charity in Dec. (looks like it will be Sandy this year)
                    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says " oh crap....she's awake!~

Comment

I'm right behind wiccanpony on this one. Who wants Christmas when you can have Saturnalia instead? So I shall be going to the Carribean for the week. Sun, sand and a fair bit of rum. Oh, and what is left over goes to Pudsey to keep my conscience half-way clear.

Hope you all have a good time however you spend the time.
                      Last edited by Paintybeard; 20-11-2012, 09:20 am.
                      My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass

Comment

Nope you have the gist of it. I am one of those people who moan after having spent too much. Afterwards I just think damn it how could I be so weak! The awful thing is you imagine the joy it will give them and 12 months later it ends up in the charity bags. Religous or not we really did have more connection with the true christmas spirit years ago. I really will make an effort to spend less this year. Parents are feeling the pinch and children should too. Thats the real point, parents need to feel that its okay to not buy loads.
                        "Keep your brush wet and our humour dry." :cheeky:

Comment

I'm looking forward to a fairly quiet Christmas this year, only one of the kids left at home. Unfortunately she's in the choir so is doing midnight mass but at least they've scheduled it to finish at midnight and not at 00.45 this year. Also no more staying up until 2am wrapping those last minute presents. Some of the kids may come back for a few days after and maybe stay until new year. To be honest I'm looking forward to, hopefully, seeing my son come home from China for a few weeks in February. Christmas? bah humbug!
                          "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Comment

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

Here in Israel only Christmas celebrations are held in areas where there are more than 2 and a half Christians (Jerusalem, Haifa, Nazareth) and they are actually very tasteful and most important quiet :), and since we are the holy land, we get to have two Christmas celebrations. The first one on Dec. 25th and the second one on Jan. 7th :)
                              In the meanwhile us Jews enjoy the funky foods and pretty decorations and we go on grumbling about Hanukkah and 8 days of presents and stuff :)
                              Tesla > Edison http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk [...]" -- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

Visit my blog at: http://adary-miniatures.blogspot.com
                              Originally posted by Darklord
                              Tommie will be painting it entirely using a single hair taken from the buttocks of a Peruvian lesser spotted vampire hamster attached to his left ear lobe.

Comment

Working...
                              X