X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    warhammergrimace

• warhammergrimace
    replied
    Not come across that as a form of defence in the styles I've studied, the only similar one was when using a buckler, but the actual buckler deflected the blow.

Leave a comment:

• DrEvilmonki
    replied
    saw it today, thought it was ok, not great but ok.

Leave a comment:

• Spectral Dragon

• Spectral Dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by warhammergrimace View Post
    Re the sword, I've studied several sword styles from differing periods of history, which include rapier, 1.33 medieval single sword, sabre, cutlass and none use to forearm to block blows, as most swords would slice right through the arm.
    Your misunderstanding mate.

I didn't mean you block your opponents sword strike with your forearm, what I meant was you use your forearm to brace your own sword against when deflecting your opponents strike. In my styles you use the flat of the blade to block, so you also use the flat of the blade when bracing your own sword against your forearm.

I can't find any illustrations of this or I would post one.

Leave a comment:

• warhammergrimace

• warhammergrimace
    replied
    Re the sword, I've studied several sword styles from differing periods of history, which include rapier, 1.33 medieval single sword, sabre, cutlass and none use to forearm to block blows, as most swords would slice right through the arm.

Leave a comment:

• Cubster
    replied
    Didn't Disney use to release movies like this under the Touchstone label to stop people associating them with the kids' cartoons?

If that well known English film critic and pretentious [eupemism for a lady's front bottom, erroneously believed to mean a pregnant fish] Mark Kermode doesn't like it, that's a good enough recommendation for my money.

Leave a comment:

• LOBO
    replied
    I saw this movie and liked it. worth to see. I think why this and movie like Tron Legacy do so bad is because it has the Walt Disney name attached to it. Movie critics gave Tron 2 1/2 stars? All sci-fi Disney movies don't rate/do well in the theaters. Must be some inside story to this?

Leave a comment:

• Cubster
    replied
    And yet it's on track to be a colossal flop at the box office. How can that be? I've yet to hear a really bad word about the film, I certainly want to see it. Probably something to do with the enormous expense of making the thing. Still, I'm pretty sure Disney may just make the odd sheckel from merchandising so they might not be too worried about the box office.

Leave a comment:

• thetang22
    replied
    I saw the movie this past weekend. I will agree it was a fun movie, and worth a watch....but I'm satisfied at that. I won't need to see it again for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Spectral Dragon

• Spectral Dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Shades View Post
    I bow to the masters of threadjack-fu treachery.

Speaking of kung-fu treachery, everyone needs to be aware that they just made a pilot for a Black Dynamite cartoon, for Adult Swim, I think. It is a must-see. Unless you haven't seen Black Dynamite yet. In which case, go immediately to Netflix and get hip.

@Spectral Dragon, thanks for the insights. Sounds like you know your stuff. The hero in this case was the heroine, as it turns out. She did not use a shield, and the sword resembled a saber, but it had so many curves and cut-outs, it was kind of hard to tell. Yeah, as far as I could tell, the stance was totally impractical. No leverage, no response speed, no balance. Pure showmanship. Hey, I'm all for turning off the brain and letting a fictional epic cinema sweep over me, but that moment just totally jerked me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Don't let that moment spoil the movie for you, though, folks. Everything else was exactly what I hoped John Carter of Mars would be.
    Sounds like a fancy shiv (terminology for weapons isn't my thing, just practical technique so I could be wrong) to me, if it's fairly long the stance makes sense. Will comment again when I see the movie.
    Spectral Dragon
    Last edited by Spectral Dragon; 15-03-2012, 01:35 am.

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    I bow to the masters of threadjack-fu treachery.

Speaking of kung-fu treachery, everyone needs to be aware that they just made a pilot for a Black Dynamite cartoon, for Adult Swim, I think. It is a must-see. Unless you haven't seen Black Dynamite yet. In which case, go immediately to Netflix and get hip.

@Spectral Dragon, thanks for the insights. Sounds like you know your stuff. The hero in this case was the heroine, as it turns out. She did not use a shield, and the sword resembled a saber, but it had so many curves and cut-outs, it was kind of hard to tell. Yeah, as far as I could tell, the stance was totally impractical. No leverage, no response speed, no balance. Pure showmanship. Hey, I'm all for turning off the brain and letting a fictional epic cinema sweep over me, but that moment just totally jerked me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Don't let that moment spoil the movie for you, though, folks. Everything else was exactly what I hoped John Carter of Mars would be.

Leave a comment:

• supervike
    replied
    Originally posted by shanerozzell View Post
    Mmmmmmm Mars, Mars bars, caramel & soft nougat covered in chocolate..... Love them!

That's a thread hijack!
    No sir. That is what we call a MILKY WAY...

Anyhow, I've yet to see John Carter, but I've been listening to the audiobooks (which are free on the 'web) and they are really fun.

Leave a comment:

• waghorn41
    replied
    Of course holding his sword across his arm might actually be to wipe the chocolate off after he's just sliced his favourite bar.

Leave a comment:

• shanerozzell
    Banned

• shanerozzell
    replied
    You seen the size of me Waggers??? I tried to convince the doctor I needed chocolate for medical reasons but he'd never heard of choco-botics before

Leave a comment:

• waghorn41
    replied
    Originally posted by shanerozzell View Post
    Mmmmmmm Mars, Mars bars, caramel & soft nougat covered in chocolate..... Love them!

That's a thread hijack!
    But have you tried the triple choc Mars bars Shane? Have to admit I'm a Cadbury's man myself but Mars do make some nice products - well, actually I'm a fan of most chocolate companies

Leave a comment:

• shanerozzell
    Banned

• shanerozzell
    replied
    Let's talk John Carter of Mars

That's a thread hijack!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X