Let's talk John Carter of Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk John Carter of Mars

I attempted to hijack another thread with this topic, but no one took the bait. I apparently need to continue developing my hijack-fu, before I enter the ranks of expert WAMPer-jacks.

Anyhoo, here's what I said: John Carter of Mars is the best cinema eye-candy since Avatar, and a better story to boot, which says a lot when a mindless pulp adventure/romance delivers a more satisfying story than a pseudo-serious modern tale of enviro-genocidal corporate imperialism. It definitely did justice to the combined Victorian/pulp-era/Frazetta-style imagery I had in my mind. Very rich production and attention to detail. The green giants were the best-depicted I've seen from any previous source! Very believable anatomy. I loved the tusk design. The flyer battles and chase scenes were phenomenal.

I could continue gushing over the movie, but I'll save room for other people. So my one nit is this (and I'm ready to blame Hollywood, not the creative talent behind this movie): is there any sword-fighting style in history that places the blade over the opposite forearm? I cringe when I see that. It's like firing a handgun sideways. It doesn't make you look like a bad-ass hero -- it makes you look incompetent, vulnerable, and silly-looking with your weapon.
    Blog: Mini Mayhem - The Blog!

haven't seen the movie yet.

on the sword-fighting, the only logical reason i could possibly think of would be if you're very tight on space. at first thought, one might think you'd have more power (since your shoulder muscles are more involved), but you'd be removing the much more effective "momentum power" that swinging a blade would have.

i always chuckle at the sideways-pistol gangsta wanna-bes... though, i guess you >could< use the kickback to help 'sweep' a target range using that... rather than kickback pushing your aim above the targets... but that only works if your zombies are all standing in a nice row across the street in front of you. hehe.
    "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
    Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743
    sigpic

Comment

To answer your question regarding the sword technique, yes, there is.

But, for the main and most common use you use a sword and shield for that, and even at that the sword goes over your gauntlet hand, not forearm.

A thrust will always result in more force in a single point than a slash will over a line, that's just physics.

Also, using the forarm is used in sword styles which deflect blows rather than meet them. Many sabre-styles are like this, but the forarm is placed with the sword at various angles. Using that stance as a starting point is actually a good way to ensure you are ready for a mid-section or upper area of the body blow with this particular style of combat.

Of course, redirecting a blow leaves your opponent extremely vulnerable to a quick slash or stab.

Of coarse, not having seen this movie, I can still guess that he wasn't using a sabre, but a broadsword. Doesn't work so well with a heavy blade.
      The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
      Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
      My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
      Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

Let's talk John Carter of Mars
        Mmmmmmm Mars, Mars bars, caramel & soft nougat covered in chocolate..... Love them!

That's a thread hijack!

Comment

Originally posted by shanerozzell View Post
          Mmmmmmm Mars, Mars bars, caramel & soft nougat covered in chocolate..... Love them!

That's a thread hijack!
          But have you tried the triple choc Mars bars Shane? Have to admit I'm a Cadbury's man myself but Mars do make some nice products - well, actually I'm a fan of most chocolate companies
          "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Comment

You seen the size of me Waggers??? I tried to convince the doctor I needed chocolate for medical reasons but he'd never heard of choco-botics before

Comment

Of course holding his sword across his arm might actually be to wipe the chocolate off after he's just sliced his favourite bar.
              "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Comment

Originally posted by shanerozzell View Post

That's a thread hijack!
                No sir. That is what we call a MILKY WAY...

Anyhow, I've yet to see John Carter, but I've been listening to the audiobooks (which are free on the 'web) and they are really fun.
                Main Blog

superheroes Blog

Comment

I bow to the masters of threadjack-fu treachery.

Speaking of kung-fu treachery, everyone needs to be aware that they just made a pilot for a Black Dynamite cartoon, for Adult Swim, I think. It is a must-see. Unless you haven't seen Black Dynamite yet. In which case, go immediately to Netflix and get hip.

@Spectral Dragon, thanks for the insights. Sounds like you know your stuff. The hero in this case was the heroine, as it turns out. She did not use a shield, and the sword resembled a saber, but it had so many curves and cut-outs, it was kind of hard to tell. Yeah, as far as I could tell, the stance was totally impractical. No leverage, no response speed, no balance. Pure showmanship. Hey, I'm all for turning off the brain and letting a fictional epic cinema sweep over me, but that moment just totally jerked me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Don't let that moment spoil the movie for you, though, folks. Everything else was exactly what I hoped John Carter of Mars would be.
                  Blog: Mini Mayhem - The Blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Shades View Post
                    I bow to the masters of threadjack-fu treachery.

Speaking of kung-fu treachery, everyone needs to be aware that they just made a pilot for a Black Dynamite cartoon, for Adult Swim, I think. It is a must-see. Unless you haven't seen Black Dynamite yet. In which case, go immediately to Netflix and get hip.

@Spectral Dragon, thanks for the insights. Sounds like you know your stuff. The hero in this case was the heroine, as it turns out. She did not use a shield, and the sword resembled a saber, but it had so many curves and cut-outs, it was kind of hard to tell. Yeah, as far as I could tell, the stance was totally impractical. No leverage, no response speed, no balance. Pure showmanship. Hey, I'm all for turning off the brain and letting a fictional epic cinema sweep over me, but that moment just totally jerked me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Don't let that moment spoil the movie for you, though, folks. Everything else was exactly what I hoped John Carter of Mars would be.
                    Sounds like a fancy shiv (terminology for weapons isn't my thing, just practical technique so I could be wrong) to me, if it's fairly long the stance makes sense. Will comment again when I see the movie.
                    Last edited by Spectral Dragon; 15-03-2012, 02:35 am.
                    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
                    Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
                    My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
                    Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

I saw the movie this past weekend. I will agree it was a fun movie, and worth a watch....but I'm satisfied at that. I won't need to see it again for a long time.

Comment

And yet it's on track to be a colossal flop at the box office. How can that be? I've yet to hear a really bad word about the film, I certainly want to see it. Probably something to do with the enormous expense of making the thing. Still, I'm pretty sure Disney may just make the odd sheckel from merchandising so they might not be too worried about the box office.
                        "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
                        Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

I saw this movie and liked it. worth to see. I think why this and movie like Tron Legacy do so bad is because it has the Walt Disney name attached to it. Movie critics gave Tron 2 1/2 stars? All sci-fi Disney movies don't rate/do well in the theaters. Must be some inside story to this?

Comment

Didn't Disney use to release movies like this under the Touchstone label to stop people associating them with the kids' cartoons?

If that well known English film critic and pretentious [eupemism for a lady's front bottom, erroneously believed to mean a pregnant fish] Mark Kermode doesn't like it, that's a good enough recommendation for my money.
                            "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
                            Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

Re the sword, I've studied several sword styles from differing periods of history, which include rapier, 1.33 medieval single sword, sabre, cutlass and none use to forearm to block blows, as most swords would slice right through the arm.
                              http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
                              http://irregular-magazine.com
                              http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
                              http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Comment

Working...
                              X