This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wamp's Paint for Profit Challenge

I wrote a thread the other week about comission painting and someone reffered me to a thread on another forum about a guy that had challenged himself to start with $10 and paint his way to $200 (or something like that) Anyway I thought that sounded a pretty cool challenge to do so I thought I may give it a go and wondered if anyone else also fancied the challenge?

I'm going to start with 10 and aim for 500 but you are free to set your own goals (though I think the 10/$10 start is a good one. It could be a great way to dip your toe into selling your work and getting yourself some cash at the end. You could set your target figure for enough to buy a mini you always wanted to buy but couldn't afford.

Any participating sellers I will post up the ebay links on the front page for you.

Here are the rules I am setting myself:
    • Start with 10
    • I may spend the money on any combination of miniatures, accesories etc I wish but cannot exceed what I have in the kitty.
    • Ebay and Paypal fees as well as postage and packing are all deductible.
    • I am free to use any accessories or supplies I already own or are donated free of charge.
    • I may use a mini i already own but must 'buy it' at RRP from the funds
    • I wont be counting comission work

So anyone up for this? If so add your details below
    Last edited by Darklord; 28-04-2011, 10:33 pm.
    Shop at the Wampstore

Im up for it. Will use the same rules/settings

Comment

I might give it whirl in the future when I have finished the stuff I'm working on at the mo. sounds like a good idea.

Comment

yeah, when I've finished my current projects I'll try it. Do you think minis will still be popular at all in the year 2150?
        The eyes!, the EYES!!

...tapping fingers impatiently...

Comment

only virtual reality ones mate - by time you get round to painting your 40k minis we'll have the real things running around
          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Let me just make sure I understand the rules.

Start with a pot of $10 (or whatever I decide to start with) If I use a mini I already own I deduct the price from my starting pot. Paint and sell on ebay, but profits back in pot and repeat to build up funds.

Is that the gist of it?
            http://www.stonetowerminiatures.com/.../ST_banner.gif

This Writer's Journey

If wishes were fished we'd all cast nets. - Gurney Halleck

Comment

Spot on mate. Where you buy from is up to you - Im looking at grabbing something used of ebay to begin with to get more for my money. As your fund grows you can buy bigger/better minis or sets or just go for quantity instead. What target you go for is up to you.
              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Darklord:

10 Starting Fund

Target: 500

Current Profit/Loss: 10
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I'm in! I'll be using stuff I've mostly already bought though. I'll start with 10$ and see what I can do. Add the money to my Oktoberfest beer fund!
                  "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                  -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

OK DL,
                    I'll take you up on that one. I have a funny feeling I might not get there quite as quick though. :)

My ruleset...same as DL except the RRP bit. I'll use minis at whatever price I got it at (e.g. if I bought it for 5 even though GW might sell for 8 it counts as 5 from the funds).
                    The goal 250 - but it's more about the journey really At the very least it will encourage the painting skills to improve.

I've already managed to snaffle an XV8 Crisis Suit from ebay for 8 so I've got 2 quid left in my fund.

Tau... get yer Tau here... Aun'Va 2 fera paaaahhnd. :grin

Comment

Cregan Tur

$10 starting fund

Target $500 (my real target is spending $250 on a new, high quality airbrush)

Starting Miniature: Darksword Frog Wizard
                      Cost: $10 (I'm rounding up the extra $0.01)

Current Profit/Loss: $0
                      http://www.stonetowerminiatures.com/.../ST_banner.gif

This Writer's Journey

If wishes were fished we'd all cast nets. - Gurney Halleck

Comment

I know it sounds strange, but as summer is upon us and car boots start up you can sometimes get some good bargins on minis there if you don't mind an early start and a root :)

Good luck all!

Comment

I'm in! This is a great idea.
                          1. I'll be starting with $25 (so I can have two or more auctions running when I sell, better luck of getting a buyer for both and cross over exposure)
                          2. I will not consider Ebay fees or CMON credits, but I will consider shipping costs if I offer it free in my auction.
                          3. My goal is $250 and I'm hoping to do that in @ 10 minis by the end of summer.
                          Current PnL: -$25

Comment

I couldn't do it as money will have been redecimalised by the time I completed something but its a great idea and I am certainly pulling up an interested seat.

Comment

Hmm....This sounds intruiging, but I think I will hold off...got too much going on at the moment.
                              http://southern-fried-miniatures.webs.com/ - My website.

Comment

Working...
                              X