Top secret: Project Thelwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top secret: Project Thelwell

Taking the not particularly huge risk that Unwife will come on WaMP before her birthday on Thursday I've decided to post some WIPs of her birthday present. I picked up a Hasslefree Shetland at Salute and I'm intending to turn it into a little display piece in the style of a Thelwell cartoon.

So far I've started the rider and a bit of the tack on the pony. If any of you (particularly WP) have any authenticity suggestions regarding the saddle and reins please let me know asap because Emma's likely to nitpick if the saddle is too far forward or the bit is in the wrong place.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

The rider so far

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."

Comment

lovely idea UnDave :D
      "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
      I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Comment

link to diffrent types of english saddles..I would say the flaps should be more rounded

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Category.aspx?CATID=691

parts of a saddle

http://www.completerider.com/learn/e...ddleparts.html
        Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says " oh crap....she's awake!~

Comment

Cheers WP, Emma's primarily a dressage rider so I've only really seen her saddle.

Comment

My first riding lessons were on a saddleseat saddle, close to a dressage saddle, very flat that forced a rider to seat far, far back so you could get the high front action of a Tennessee walker or other gaited breeds.

The horse was half arab/hackney pony, his trot was murder and going down from a canter to his trot gave new meaning to pain........ UnWife will understand

oh I learned to use a double bridle and carry a whip, which I could switch to both hands
            Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says " oh crap....she's awake!~

Comment

This is going to be an awesome piece :) the second i saw your reference illustration i chuckled to myself :D it's so full of character and cute at the same time and that mini of a pony you have is just ideal for it. Definately one im going to be eagerly awaiting to see the end result.

Comment

Just about finished the rider. I've only got the hair behind her ears to add once the rest of it has cured.

It's meant to be our daughter Kate hence the huge plait. When she had her first riding lesson last year she spent the whole time bouncing round on the saddle like she had a rubber bottom so this is kind of appropriate.

Comment

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

This is turning out rather nicely :D

Comment

:lol: it certainly is!
                    Oooh. That's a BINGO!
                    This is grapeshot. This is what it does.

Comment

Clock is ticking dude...
                      looks good so far though.
                      What a great unhusband you are!

Comment

Great job Undave, you've captured the Thelwell spirit beautifully :lol:
                        "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Comment

All done with the sculpting now I just have to wait for the GS to cure before I spray it.

Comment

Paintamatisation has commencified!

Comment

This is crazy. Beauty stuff, and I am sure you're alleged wife will love it!
                              "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                              -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Working...
                              X