Sculpting Debut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sculpting Debut

Well okay, it's not strictly a debut because I've re-sculpted some bits and pieces in the past, but never from scratch with a wire armature.

I've been umming and ahhing for a while wondering whether I should do a wee project, just for myself, and if so, what? Lots of historical stuff comes to mind, but that's been covered before.

Fantasy stuff is kind of samey really and tricky to get something really different.

So I thought about a comicbook theme after reading my Marshall Law graphic novels over the weekend. What think others? How about a 'Hero Hunter' model, based on Marshall Law? Or perhaps a spoiled teenage costumed hero, like 2000AD's 'Zenith'?

Both stories have a good range of characters to go into if I manage to get through the first one intact. Bear in mind, this will be pretty rough and ready because it's my first go.
    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
    Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comic book sculpt is a good idea, but start with something that doesn't have too much detail. I made that mistake my first sculpt and never bothered to finish it because I knew too little. I am now going into simple details on a whole model and working my way up.
    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
    Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
    My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
    Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

Well the Zenith characters have simple costumes and don't carry guns or equipment, so perhaps that's the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubster View Post
        Well the Zenith characters have simple costumes and don't carry guns or equipment, so perhaps that's the way to go.
        Go for it! I rarely see sculpts of Comic book characters!
        The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
        Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
        My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
        Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

Pick something you're enthusiastic about and that'll come through into the sculpt. What sculpting medium are you planning to use?

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
          Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulfgrimr View Post
            What sculpting medium are you planning to use?
            Well I've got some Fimo, Milliput and plenty of Greenstuff. I know there are some superior sculpting mediums out there, but I'm not keen to splash out yet until I know my sculpting is competent enough to warrant getting it. No point learning to drive in a Porsche and all that.

Anyone got any good links to anatomy pics so I can get proportions and poses right?

Comment

e-mail on its way. I'd also recommend searching for anatomy pics or diagrams (avoid the medical ones as they go into a bit too much detail, at least for me) and figure drawing pics, there's loads of reference images out there.
              Last edited by Ulfgrimr; 16-11-2011, 10:42 am.

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
              Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Comment

Hey, thanks for that! That should be very useful indeed, ta.

Comment

This is a fabulous book and well worth the money. Clearly it's aimed at figure drawers but you could do much worse.
                  I'll be lucky to paint a single figure this year or any other. If I do manage it, no one will be more shocked than I.

Comment

Cheers David, I tracked down a cheap copy on AbeBooks and it's on the way!

Comment

I rather like the attached anatomical image from the guy who does the glimbit.com web comic. I've got lots of anatomical and figure references, but an awful lot of it is copyrighted stuff that I don't want to post into a public forums.

There are some figure references that are available for free (or at least parts are free) on the web. Many of these contain nudity, so caveat emptor (and NSFW)

http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=photosets
                      http://www.scott-eaton.com/anatomy-a...erence-library
                      http://www.bartleby.com/107/ (Gray's Anatomy, primarily medical reference, but many plates on muscles and skeleton are good)
                      http://www.figuredrawings.com/
                      http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/Andrew Loomis.rar (All six Andrew Loomis books, out of print, copyright never renewed and expired though Loomis family claims otherwise)

DeviantArt is a good resource. If you look for people with "stock" in their account name, or search for images using the keyword "stock", you'll find literally thousands of pictures from people intended for artists to use as reference material.

If you have the money, the 3D references from FreedomOfTeach are excellent, and any sculptor should have a selection of 3D references (planes of face and hand, escorche, nose/ear/eye casts). Unfortunately, they are very expensive: http://www.anatomytools.com/

Also, just looking at features you like on existing minis and trying to copy those features (don't try and copy entire sculpts, of course) is a huge help. At this scale, there are a lot of shortcuts and you have to vary from realistic proportions somewhat (though not as much as many figures do). The 1ListSculpting faq in the file section at…

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1listSculpting/

…contains lots of good information. Though it hasn't been updated in a while, most of what's in there is still valid.

Stefan Niehues has a number of YouTube videos of himself sculpting, some of which are tutorials. Unfortunately, most of them are not in English, but they're still cool to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/user/studioworx

Hmm... that's all I can think of offhand, if I think of others, I'll post them.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by FigureSculptor; 17-11-2011, 07:48 pm.

Comment

For dead-tree books, this is probably my favorite anatomy reference:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Human-Anatomy-Function-Movement/dp/0823024156

A little pricey, but well worth it. Great coverage of the material without being too "medical", very much by an artist for artists.

Comment

I am overwhelmed!

Very generous, thanks for taking the time to make all this available. I shall dip the toe a little before immersing myself completely.

Comment

Maybe there is something useful for you here on Massive Voodoo. I wrote a tutorial once on working with polyclays ( fimo/ sculpy etc. ) and there is the prpotion chart I use to download for your needs too.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/20...html#sculpting

Most important advice: Have fun ! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Badsmile View Post
                              Most important advice: Have fun ! ;)
                              Bang spot on. It's awfully easy to get frustrated. The scale is hard. The medium is hard. The subject matter is hard. If you're not enjoying the ride, it'll be an awful long journey. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X