Pegaso 75mm Diorama Base WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegaso 75mm Diorama Base WIP

This diorama base is in the final stages of construction. All three figures are now fixed in place with 5-minute epoxy and blended into the vignette base. A bit more vegetation around the "Well of Souls" is planned - and I need to get Doom's helmet back into the crook of his left arm. I'm a lot happier with the skin tones on Arnie now, but his lipstick has just got to go..!!
    I'll get figure close-up's posted once the base is finished.

Cheers
    Harry

thats looking awesome! whats the foliage?
    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Looking forward to the closeups

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
        thats looking awesome! whats the foliage?
        The foilage is just the usual stuff, some lichen, static grass, etc. The rushes are strands of an old sweeping brush stuck in place and flower heads added using drops of superglue gel. I've deliberately left room for a couple of additional figures I'll add to the scenario in future. By the way, the dragon is an item by McFarlane Models. A giant snake would've been better, but I didn't have one handy, so the dragon it is.

This other diorama base is coming along as well; just needs a few more details added, and that Mycenean Lion statue at the back painted then weathered. I'm only including the 75mm Pegaso Greek Mercenary, (Ares), and the Seil Models Hoplite, (Agamemnon), in this one - the rest of the figures are there for layout purposes.
        Haven't quite made up my mind whether to take a razor saw to the 54mm female seated next to Ares and replace her head, or go with my original plan and order up the 70mm Greek Goddess figure mfr'd by Nocturna/Historic Art Miniatures.
        I'm presently preparing six 54mm kit figures that'll replace most of those in these photos. The base and all figures should be finished in a couple of weeks time, and then I'll get several snaps of the complete diorama posted up in the Display Cabinet Section.

Sorry the photos aren't better, but it's dark o'clock right now and I had to use the camera flash.

Cheers
        H

Last edited by harrytheheid; 18-08-2011, 04:34 pm. Reason: added a comment

Comment

TWO SNAKES, COMING TOGETHER, FACING EACH OTHER!!!

Looking good so far, should turn out pretty cool. Who doesn;t love Conan and ninjas?

Comment

Snakes on a Diorama!!!! ackkkk. lol!

Lookin' good Harry! :)
            "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
            Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shanerozzell View Post
              Looking forward to the closeups
              The diorama base is coming on - and I've got rid of Arnie's bright red lipsalve.
              Cheers
              H

Last edited by harrytheheid; 21-08-2011, 04:47 am.

Comment

Quite pleased with the way this one's developing too.
                H

Comment

Iíd like to share the present status of this WIP.
                  Probably had the white balance adjusted too low on the camera, but itís darkíoíclock in my location right now and I didnít want to use my flash attachment.

75mm PEGASO CIMMERIAN WARRIOR

75mm PEGASO NINJA

75mm PEGASO THULSA DOOM

I was originally going to add two 75mm Tartar Miniatures Picinean Warriors to the diorama, but decided not to overcrowd the scenario, so Iím only going to use one of them and heís going to be located approximately where Iíve placed him in the next photo Ė once heís finished and I can remove that choc-ice stick and plastic vice of course. Iím leaving him alone for a full 24 hours before adding a few darker flesh tone glazes to his legs and arms. Might have him and the entire diorama finished by Sunday/Monday Ė must remember to replace the rope for the bucket at the well and weather the metal fittings a bit more.

75mm TARTAR MINIATURES PICINEAN WARRIOR

I decided to give the underside of the rotary base a lick of varnish today. Hereís the base out on the patio supported by my sooper-dooper painting jig while the stuff was drying this afternoon. Just as well I pinned the figures and fixed them in place with super-strength 5-minute epoxyÖ.and just as well Iím not of a nervous disposition either.
                  I had to do this job outside cos the varnish stinks to high heaven. I reckon itís secondary purpose must be to clear blocked drains or something Ė but at least the fumes kept the mosquitoes at bay.

HI-TECH PAINTING JIG

Hereís the underside tonight Ė looks okay considering the brush used and the fact that no-oneís ever really going to be seeing it anyway.

UNDERSIDE OF CONAN/DOOM DIORAMA BASE

Hereís the overall 90% finished diorama tonight Ė looking none the worse for itís upside down ordeal earlier today.

And Iíll be using that Chinese calligraphy brush in the photo below to apply the varnish to the edges of the rotary base tomorrow sometime. Looking for a much smoother finish on these areas than that on the underside.
                  Just noticed the bend in Arnie's sword - so that'll be straightened before the next set of photos get taken.

Iím still considering a sidekick for Arnie, but havenít decided as yet Ė Iíll probably obtain the figure I want to add just behind the Conan figure end of October, depends on work commitments, but if heíll overcrowd the vignette, then Iíll use him in something else I have in mind for a future project.
                  Only other thing Iíd like to add to the diorama base is a few skulls, but canít find any 75mm examples Ė the Andrea 90mm items might work as ďGiantĒ skulls though, and I might use their 54mm vultures, or a couple of Games Workshop Giant Vampire Bats I found lurking in the bottom of my stash yesterday, (canít even remember when or where I bought them).

Any critique or suggestions for improvements welcome.

Cheers
                  Harry

Comment

looking very nice, Harry. :)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kdlynch View Post
                      looking very nice, Harry. :)
                      Thanks for the encouragement.
                      I've made some progress on this Vignette. Posted this over on The Basement Forum, but perhaps some folk aren’t members there – and these photos are a little bit bigger.

The, err, "Hyborian Lassie" looks pretty attractive now she's had a shave and put her make-up on....although I forgot to place her spear in her arms when I took these photos....

Just need to finish the Tartar miniatures Picinean Warrior, fix the additional figures in place, add the 90mm Skulls (and perhaps a pal for Conan) when they get delivered, and add one or maybe both of those GW Giant Vampire Bats I found the other day.
                      The Picinean Warrior needs a few tweaks to his shield and helmet but he's come out not too bad - I'm now considering whether I should have my second Picinean figure emerging from the trees over on the R-H-S where I have the half-done figure just to the right of Doom's helmet in this photo below. Dunno, I'll chew it over some more, but if I do add him I'll remove the foilage just behind his left leg.
                      Oh, and the Hyborian Lady found her spear for this photo.

Cheers
                      H
                      Last edited by harrytheheid; 03-09-2011, 01:56 pm.

Comment

well, you have plaid in there, and as anyone around here will tell you, I am easily bribed by plaid eye candy. lol! excellent job on that. :D Overall the entire dio looks very good. There's a few touches here and there that could bring it up a level, but at the cost of a lot more time spent on it. For example, highlight/sheen in her hair, or a flesh glaze over conan's tattoos to make them more like tats and less like greasepaint (which may have been the intention). :)
                        sigpic

Comment

thats looking really nice, lots of visual focus should be tops when finished. Her black hair looks a little flat - I would work the highlights up on that perhaps
                          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Well, itíd been a while, but hereís the final layout. Itís essentially finished although Iíve still a few minor details to do, like add more greasepaint to Arnie, and Iím still considering extending the groundwork to the edge of the diorama base.
                            Will try to get better photos tomorrow morning, cos itís darkest night right now here in the Hyborian Kingdoms.

Figures are;
                            One 75mm Pegaso Cimmerian
                            One 75mm Pegaso Doom
                            One 75mm Pegaso Ninja
                            Two 75mm Tartar Miniatures Picinean Warrior, one with slightly converted stance and sword, the other with war mace
                            One 75mm Tartar Miniatures Italic Warrior
                            One 72mm Reaper Miniatures Sophie Succubus, slightly converted

Cheers
                            Harry

Comment

These snaps, taken in daylight, are a bit better. Still work to be done on the Italic Gentleman and the Picinian Warrior on the left side of the diorama; there's a few overpaints, outlining and some other details to be fixed and/or added in, but overall I'm quite happy with this one.

Cheers
                              Harry

Comment

Working...
                              X