Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades
    replied
    Dude, where've you been?! I was wondering why we haven't heard from you. Good to see you on the forum again. Welcome back!

Hey, here are a couple of threads of more recent projects:

Group project: Wood Elf King

Red Box Game competition

Project backlog out-of-control

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Well I've not been around for a while but you know I've always been a fan of your work.It's been great to see the latest additions to your army and to see the finished army. The eyes on your Slaan proxy are amazing!I wouldn't be too worried about not picking up any painting awards as long as you enjoy your hobby and the end result. While I agree that a fully detailed display board would look awesome, I wouldn't bother unless it's something you're doing for your own enjoyment.

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    I just wanted to say a big Thank You to everyone on the thread for giving me encouragement during the lead-up to the NOVA Open gaming tournament, held this past weekend in Arlington, VA (next door to my office! Sweet!). My gaming pal, Erik, and I scrambled and concentrated for two weeks solid, painting to complete our respective Lizardmen armies. Posting to the forum and hearing some encouraging words went a long way towards maintaining my motivation level.

This was my very first tournament, and it was really quite exhilerating. I've had trepidation towards the tournament scene, since I'm an avowed "casual" player, who's not interested in hardcore competition, and I assume one will encounter one or two jerk-wads at a tournament. As it turns out, my fears were unfounded and proven wrong. At a minimum, all of my opponents were polite, helpful, level-headed, and mature. Two of them were just outstanding individuals that I would befriend without hesitation. A club in Baltimore, the Inner Circle, contributed volunteers, and they are fun, raucous, and professional, all at the same time. In a nutshell, the tournament was a high-energy swirl of hobby enthusiasts, and I was glad to be a part of it.

One of the highlights of the event for me was having the opportunity to chat exclusively with Gav Thorpe for a good half-hour! He's freelancing now, having left GW a couple of years ago. We discussed Cutlass, his new ruleset for a fantasy pirate skirmish game, similar to Freebooter's Fate. It's also similar to my own homebrew game, in its mechanics, which is what drew me in. So we had an awesome conversation about Cutlass and about his thoughts on its game design.

So how did my games go? Abysmally. But I expected that result, knowing I was entering a "soft" list. My record was a 1-4. But it says a lot for Warhammer Fantasy that I had such a fun time despite such a dismal record. In my opinion, the game is sufficiently balanced when you take into account the entire game system, the statistical odds, all of the armies, all of the spells and special abilities, and all of the scenarios. Focus on any one of those things, and it's easy to feel the game is broken. Taken as a whole, the game offers a fair risk-to-reward ratio that makes the game exciting and offers you hope when you're behind.

Other than a few spots where the game became a grind, the games were exciting. I really enjoyed learning about the other armies, and it was pleasure to see them all fully painted. There was a ton of customization, and the armies just oozed theme, especially when seen on their scratch-built display/carry boards. There was a lot creative energy on display.

I didn't win any painting awards, which was a little disappointing, but I have a theory as to why. Seeing all of the armies at the event was an eye-opener in terms of understanding the stylistic and technical differences between painting for gaming and painting for display. These armies and models had a real Wow! Factor that my army lacks. Now I did receive some very nice compliments and acknowledgement, for which I was very appreciative. But the other folks' armies/models had pizazz, achieved through lots of customization/conversion, attention to basing, thematic story-telling, and model size/posing. The display boards also went a long way in achieving Wow Factor. It was all about presentation. And it's about presentation at 3 to 4 feet away, instead of 3 to 4 inches away. I'm influenced by the wish for my model to look good when I post it on a forum, where it is scrutinized under the microscope of a macro-enabled camera. My techniques are going to have an impact at that resolution, but they're entirely lost at a distance. Also, a model is judged as an individual model, rather than the collective impact of multiple units on a thematic terrain board.

I'm not sure how this will affect my painting style. I straddle two worlds, and I just might continue to keep doing what I'm doing, since I'm more interested in painting for my own satisfaction, rather than winning competitions, be they gaming tournaments, CMON rankings, or WAMP comps. On the other hand, it's nice to know what styles work better for each end of the spectrum. I'm a more informed painter as a result, and I can make more conscious decisions about what goals I want to achieve for any given project.

Now it's back to the mundane for a little while to catch up on a backlog of two weeks of house-chores!

If you've managed to read this far of my ramblings, here's another thank you: a link to photos I took at the event.

Leave a comment:

• piratemama
    replied
    WOWSERS! Very beautiful job on these!!! Good luck tomorrow!!! Stay safe, too because Irene is hitting us tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    Thanks, Tim! It was a little exhausting towards the end. I'm not even going to remember how to play Warhammer tomorrow....

Leave a comment:

• Stahler77
    replied
    Excellent work Shades. Congrats on finishing them early enough to take pictures and build the display board!

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    LOL! Sorry, man, it's a soft and squishy army-list. They'll all be dead tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Delarn
    replied
    I'm in love can I marry them?

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    Mission accomplished! I even built the simple display/carry board tonight. Here is how the army will appear at its world debut tomorrow. The photos aren't the best, but it's all I have time for since I still need to pack the army for transport. I'll post these pics of the finished army in the Display Cabinet thread as well.

Leave a comment:

• Stahler77
    replied
    Heh, you gave it a solid shot, and came really close on the name!

I've done a fair amount of reading up on the subject, and I've certainly made improvements. Just need to keep at it I guess. Also that and find an additional 4-6 hours in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    Argh, sorry, Tim. <embarrassed> Same alphabet, at least.....

Yeah, photography has been another skill that I was surprised I would have to learn. Lighting and light balance are probably the key ingredients. And a good background, which I have still yet to find.

Making a good montage is still a work-in-progress. Amazing how much time I've sunk into learning photography and Photoshop Elements.

There are some good articles here on WAMP.

Leave a comment:

• Stahler77
    replied
    Heh, first I would need to figure out how to take a picture that doesn't point out every flaw on my figures. I'm usually happy with my end product, but never happy with my quality to speed ratio.

Oh yeah, and it's Tim, but you got it 66% right at least 8^P

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    Thanks so much for the compliment, Jim! It's wonderful to hear some personal encouragement in the midst of all of these great painters on WAMP. I fully expect to be humbled and awed by the armies I see at the tournament this weekend. However, I do admit to having some satisfaction for my quality-to-speed ratio.

I look forward to seeing your work posted on WAMP!

Leave a comment:

• Stahler77
    replied
    Jeeze Shades your stuff looks great! I'm just starting to acquire some lizardmen for myself and you are going to make me feel bad when I don't even bother to get close to your quality on them!

Leave a comment:

• Shades
    replied
    Originally posted by NeatPete View Post
    Love how the dino's carry bedrolls, lol.
    "Everyone gets cold"
    I chuckled at the same thing, Pete. I guess that's the price that semi-sentient lizards pay for being Cold-Blooded in the game.

Thanks for looking and commenting, everyone. I enjoy hearing what sorts of different items-of-interest stand out to different people. Someone on the Beasts of War site thought that the coral snake broke the theme a little bit. A fair comment. We'll see whether it serves more as an accent or as a distraction when I finally take the group photo of the entire army.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X