No announcement yet.

Shades' WIP - Lizardman Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for commenting, everyone! It really keeps me going. I hope to post Terradons later tonight.

@MamaGeek Well, I painted the Stegadon and its howdah in one day. I painted the Skink riders along with some of their brethren a few days prior.

Originally posted by Captain Sprout View Post
    ..how did you do the skin on the big triceratops?

Roughly speaking, I painted about 4 or 5 successive washes, each one darker than the next one. I've never painted with watercolors, but I imagine it's about the same approach. I did very little highlighting or drybrushing. The jade-like snakey doo-hickey was about the only detail I worked on.
    Blog: Mini Mayhem - The Blog!

Comment

Not quite where I wanted to end for the day, but I'm still pretty pleased with the outcome. There's actually a sixth one, but I still need to finish his weapon, which is fancy and requires detail work. His mount is purple, to complete the sunrise-colors theme.

I want more contrast in the individual models, but I ran out of time to work on dry-brushing.

There aren't any ready-made colors in my collection for salmon or dark purplish-grey. I spent a lot of time mixing colors.

I still need to grey out the post some more, and, of course, basing awaits.

I have only three more evenings to finish out 1-and-a-half Kroxigors, 4 Jungle Swarms, touch-ups for the Terradons, varnishing, and basing.

Arg.

Comment

Mike, these look fantastic!!!
        "Have i gone 'round the bend?"
        "Yes, you are mad. Completely bonkers. But here's a secret... the best of us are."
        -Alice in Wonderland

Proud member of Fredericksburg, VA Game Vault Painters and W.A.S
        Whimsical Miniatures Site and My Blog

Comment

I agree with PM, Shades, fantastic job! This army is gonna look ace on the table :D
          "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
          Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743
          sigpic

Comment

Some nice looking dinosaurs there, Shades, old chap.

Are you finding any issues with the Terradon centre of gravity with them on those poles?
            My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Irregular Miniature Paintfest 2011 - Sunday 17th July

The other editor of Irregular

Winner -
            WAMPed! Most entries

Dysartes' WIPs - 2011 Edition | Dysartes' Completed Work - 2011 Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Dysartes View Post
              Are you finding any issues with the Terradon centre of gravity with them on those poles?
              Sure enough, Dysartes. I solve it by using 2 or 3 rare earth magnets on the bases to attach them to the movement tray. Still, I have to be very careful. I also didn't account for how much extra space they require to transport.

Well, for all the extra annoyance, I think they'll be different from the typical Terradon, which is one thing I wanted to achieve. I also wanted them to look more dynamic, which required a little more vertical room to look realistic. I enjoy looking at the different poses, at the end of the day.

Comment

An evening's worth of work. A Kroxigor proxy.

I wanted to come up with a fancy pattern for the plates, but I ran out of time.

Comment

Not a fan of the traditional Krox, eh, Shades?
                  My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Winner -
                  WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

@Dysartes I'm fine with the traditional Krox. They're just overpriced. And I like having variety. And I like presenting something on the board that's different than what everyone always sees. And this figure for 100 Kingdoms is just awesome. :-)

Comment

Dinosaur haven't looked this awesome since Jurrasic park! nice work
                      Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

You know, it just occurred to me: maybe that hood that the Proxigor is wearing is supposed to be a metal skullcap helmet.....

Maybe I should add a spike on top and give him some Harley cred.
                        Last edited by Shades; 23-08-2011, 05:46 pm.

Comment

These guys aren't ideal, but, man, what a time-consuming pain-in-the-butt. They'll have to do.

Only one more evening to do final details/touch-ups and flock all the bases for the work of the last week.

Comment

Nice variety in the jungle swarms, Shades - all accurate to real species?

At least if you're down to touch-ups and flock, the hard work is out of the way - I'd recommend flock first, then touch-ups, mind you, especially if the event has a basing requirement.

Winner -
                            WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

Thanks, Dysartes.

There are just a few that are modeled or inspired by real species. I did double-check some photo references while I was painting, to generate some ideas. There were a lot of color schemes I wanted to try out, but it was just too ambitious. I stayed up until midnight as it was. Yeah, I know, big deal, midnight. But I like my sleep, and I like to feel well-rested or else I can throw off my entire week. It's helpful that I pulled my late night earlier in the week, so that I have a chance to be well-rested for the tournament. I have no delusions of actually playing well. My army list is kinda soft, after all, and on top of that, I still count myself as a novice player. I just want to be fresh enough for my mind to be functioning well and to enjoy the experience. Five games over two days will be grueling, I think.

I'll be following your advice and doing the basing first. I definitely want to complete the Terradon leader, too. The third Kroxigor needs some touch-up, and I'm sure I'll remember some stuff. I'm also going to scrounge around to see if I can improvise a display board, but it might be too late for that. I also need to make sure I can transport everything.

Comment

Looking good! Love how the dino's carry bedrolls, lol.
                                "Everyone gets cold"

Really like the red/black snake in that bottom right group.

Comment

Working...
                                X