Shades' WIP - Lizardman Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades' WIP - Lizardman Army

I'm underway again. Here is my Slann proxy/conversion. This miniature is Reaper's Frog Demon, sculpted by Jason Wiebe. I built the palanquin out of two Confrontation bases scavenged from their PPP Griffon Knights, and then I decorated it with leftover bits from a Stegadon sprue.

I was torn between this color scheme and one that is orange-yellow-brown-beige. Playing a game yesterday and seeing this guy with the rest of the army helped me decide to keep this scheme. I still have plenty of work to do on it.

I have less than a month to complete:
    • Slann
    • Stegadon & crew
    • 2 Kroxigors
    • 6 Terradons
    • 6 Skink warbeast handlers
    • Skink standard-bearer
    • 4 Jungle Swarms
    • an army display board
    • ideally, another core unit or two

This is a tough assignment.
    Blog: Mini Mayhem - The Blog!

Your FFF (Floating Fat Frog) seems far too lively, shades - however, it is looking a nice scheme.
    My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Irregular Miniature Paintfest 2011 - Sunday 17th July

The other editor of Irregular

Winner -
    WAMPed! Most entries

Dysartes' WIPs - 2011 Edition | Dysartes' Completed Work - 2011 Edition

Comment

I think that's really good, its manic enough to look like its in a thrall to some God or other that's for sure! I think its much more inspiring to lizards than a big fat blobby thing (though I do like the GW version too).

Nice conversion. I like the palanquin, it doesn't detract from the frog.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I definitely wanted something a little more dynamic and crazed, rather than the sleepy Jabba the Hut look. I hope folks get a kick out of it, when they see it on the gaming table.

If I didn't have so many minis to work on to prepare for this tournament, I would be more ambitious, and I would construct a blue fireball of lightning coming from his hand. Maybe I'll add that for next year, in order to give the army some freshness.

Comment

Out of interest, Shades, what are you planning for the display board? And are the figures you've listed all of the army, or is there more of it?
          My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Winner -
          WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

Nice colour scheme Shades, I really like the frog, a nice change from the more sedate GW versions, and good luck with getting it all done on time.

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
            Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Dysartes View Post
              Out of interest, Shades, what are you planning for the display board? And are the figures you've listed all of the army, or is there more of it?
              I have no idea what to do for the display board, Dysartes. I'm not going to do anything too elaborate, just functional for carrying the army between games and just enough interest to give the army context when displaying them for the art judging. I recall some vendor, I can't remember if it was GW or BattleFoam or someone else, who sells a premade army board exactly for that purpose. I may just find that.

There are definitely more figures in the army. As a matter of fact, they're shown in their WIP state in the Army Painting Competition here on WAMP, the one where you generated 6+ entire armies! Now that's the kind of production level I'm going to need to meet my goal for the end of the month. Here's the link to the Lizardman Army WIP, and here's a link to the Avatars of War Lizardman hero.

Comment

Are you going to bring these to the VA Mini Painters Meetup?
                MamaGeekMinis.com
                "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." -St. Francis

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGeek View Post
                  Are you going to bring these to the VA Mini Painters Meetup?
                  Hi, MamaGeek. I doubt the library will tolerate accommodating my two dogs, so it's going to be difficult for me to meet with you guys, since traveling to Fredericksburg risks forcing the dogs beyond their potty threshold. I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline until we can find another location. Sorry! I wish it were easier.

Comment

Ah, that's too bad! Go ahead and post in the group discussion, and maybe we'll try to find someplace else for next time!
                    MamaGeekMinis.com
                    "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." -St. Francis

Comment

I still have more work to do, but I should have him done this week.

I'm thinking of painting the claws a gloss black. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Last edited by Shades; 04-08-2011, 02:31 am.

Comment

Mike, he looks AMAZING!! Can you throw out some pointers on blending when we meet up next?? I like the idea of glossy black claws. Could you bring him to our next meeting??? I'd really like to see him in person! :D
                        "Have i gone 'round the bend?"
                        "Yes, you are mad. Completely bonkers. But here's a secret... the best of us are."
                        -Alice in Wonderland

Proud member of Fredericksburg, VA Game Vault Painters and W.A.S
                        Whimsical Miniatures Site and My Blog

Comment

Sure thing, Angie! Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Nice work on the eyes, Shades, and the stone plaques on the front of the palanquin.

How're you getting on with everything else? Is your deadline still plausible? Will I stop talking in questions at some point soon?

Winner -
                            WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

Loving the work on that frog. Fantastic stuff.
                              I see lead people.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              GHRP total : -106.4 points : Started on 11/11/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X