Dysartes' WIPs - 2011 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dysartes' WIPs - 2011 Edition

So, I've started to pick up the brush once more - I burned out for a while following the army challenge, but it's time to get back in the saddle. As a result, I've got two figures actively on the go, as shown below:

Ulrik the Slayer
    Ulrik_11062011.JPG

Cadian Company Commander
    CadianCommander_11062011.JPG
    My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Irregular Miniature Paintfest 2011 - Sunday 17th July

The other editor of Irregular

Winner -
    WAMPed! Most entries

Dysartes' WIPs - 2011 Edition | Dysartes' Completed Work - 2011 Edition

Ulrik is looking good. I'm always impressed by well-done metallics. I'll be keeping an eye on this as it progresses.
    MamaGeekMinis.com
    "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." -St. Francis

Comment

Well, I'm working on the Cadian dude today - and I've been preparing four other new figures as well, which may show up soon. I'll upload an updated Cadian pic this evening.

Quick question regarding Ulrik - the plastic backpack I've used for him has a diamond-shaped gem on the back. Does anyone have any tips/examples of how to place the highlights on a gem of that shape?

Cheers.
      My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Winner -
      WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

Highlight the point on all four facets then each edge. Do the lower facets slightly darker than the upper ones.

Comment

Good to see you back. Nice work so far.
          http://noddwyr.wordpress.com/

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
          Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Comment

Thanks for that, shane - where would you normally put the usual white dot that (by contract) must appear on all gems?

Winner -
            WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

i'm thinking if there is no upper surface directly facing the light source, then the gem has broken the contract first, and thus no white dot is needed. hehe.

In doing 3d renders of stones like that, the faces that are at angles to the light source have a white (or colour of light source).... sheen (not exactly the right word) evenly over said face, brighter the more perpendicular to the light source they appear to be... but painting that on a miniature would probably make the light appear on the wrong side (since we paint the depths of the gems, not the surfaces). besides, the gloss coating should take care of any 'sheen' for us, anyway. there is no contracted white spot unless you can draw a direct reflection from your eyes->gem->light source.
              "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
              Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743
              sigpic

Comment

These look awesome and I really like the metallics on Ulrik :) Mind posting how you did them? I can't wait to see the finished products!!
                "Have i gone 'round the bend?"
                "Yes, you are mad. Completely bonkers. But here's a secret... the best of us are."
                -Alice in Wonderland

Proud member of Fredericksburg, VA Game Vault Painters and W.A.S
                Whimsical Miniatures Site and My Blog

Comment

So, I've been working on this dude on and off throughout today - as well as undercoating a couple of other figures and watching the Canadian Grand Prix - and I'm pretty happy with his progress:
                  CadianCommander_12062011.JPG

By my reckoning, I need to do the cable that's linked to his bionic eye, tidy up that very small chip on his hair, and do the trim on his coat, and I'm pretty much done with him.

piratemama, if you're referring to the gold on Ulrik (and the Cadian), then it is a very simple approach which I liberated from The Painting Corps blog.

Step 1: Basecoat the area you wish to be gold with Chainmail
                  Step 2: Wash area with Gryphonne Sepia
                  Step 3: Repeat step 2 until you are happy with the result, allowing the wash to dry fully each time before applying the next coat.

You can do a step 0 of "Apply a basecoat of brown to the area you wish to be gold" first, meaning you need to let the brown show through in crevasses when performing step 1, but I stopped doing that a while back.

Winner -
                  WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

Originally posted by Dysartes View Post
                    Thanks for that, shane - where would you normally put the usual white dot that (by contract) must appear on all gems?
                    No white dot on these, just push the edge highlight up to white.

Also for the gold, you can add some thin glazes of purple for added depth.
                    Last edited by shanerozzell; 12-06-2011, 11:38 pm.

Comment

OK, time for an update - before I begin, I'm going to be trying to do updates on Thursdays and Sundays moving forwards - hopefully a declared schedule will keep me working on things ;)

Second quick question - can anyone recommend a bits store for 40k in the UK? I have an idea for a piece, but need to price up a couple of components first.

Anyway, on with the work. As I mentioned, I prepared a group of four figures from different manufacturers last week, and started working on them this week. I've also pulled in some WIP Imperial Guard that were lying around, as well as a warjack that I need to finish this week - oh, and Ulrik is still being worked on. So, without further ado, let's see what I've got to show off.

Ulrik the Slayer
                      Ulrik_19062011.JPG

Inquisitor Gideon Lorr - limited release a few years back. I think that's the right name, anyway.
                      inquisitor_lorr_1906.JPG

Death Korps Kommander
                      kreig_commander_1906.JPG

Steel Legion Commissar
                      SL_commissar_1906.JPG

Sedition Wars - Barker with Pulse Cannon
                      sedition_barker_1906.JPG

Beasts of Bolsover - Mutant with Chemical Weapon
                      BoB_Mutant_1906.JPG

Mordian Officer
                      mordian_officer_1906.JPG

Four Tallarn Imperial Guard
                      four_tallarn_WAMP_1906.JPG

Mangler Heavy Warjack
                      mangler_WAMP_1906.JPG

DL, what is the solution if the forum says "remote file is too large" when trying to link to the larger version of a Gallery image?

Winner -
                      WAMPed! Most entries

Comment

Off to a good start Dysartes :) curious to see how several of these develop
                        "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
                        Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743
                        sigpic

Comment

Good start on this lot

Second quick question - can anyone recommend a bits store for 40k in the UK? I have an idea for a piece, but need to price up a couple of components first.
                          Bitz Box

Comment

Nice start. Man you work on alot of pieces at once.
                            http://noddwyr.wordpress.com/

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
                            Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Comment

As ever you have alot on the go, looking forward to seeing them develop.

As far as bits suppliers there are several around, as well as Bitz Box from Shane's link there's also Bits and Kits, Model bits and Bitz Bunker. Can't speak for the las two but I've used Bitz Box and Bits & Kits in the past and found them to be quite good, although you have to keep a regular eye on them if you are after some of the more popular bits such as Space Marine legs.

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
                              Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X