Mako's new WIP of more randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako's new WIP of more randomness

Well, after a bit of a clearout and settling back to painting, I realised I hadn't actually posted any progress up here!

Because of my rather random work schedule and being dozy as hell half the time, updates will probably be sporadic, but I'll do my best to remember
    Last edited by Mako; 05-01-2011, 04:51 pm.
    A model what I painted: My WIP thread

Here's something I've been working on for a short while. He's already been reworked a few times to change little bits. I still can't decide if the dark blue skirt works, or if a blue-ish white, or a brown/cream mix would work better.

Gore is to be added at the end, but not in huge globs that cover up the details...

Oni warau corrected 1.jpg

(Oh, and I know his toe bones are chipped, I can't seem to help it. Every time I handle him, no matter how carefully. Even using a pin vice on the foot peg. So I'll retouch those when he's finished and going onto his base )

Comment

Like the way you have done the muscles, really nice. I think the dark blue looks good but depends on the other colours you have in mind. Nice work so far.
      http://noddwyr.wordpress.com/

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
      Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Comment

He reminds me of the demon protagonist of the "Dungeon Master" video games. Evil-looking but with just a hint of goofy in his eeeeevil grin.
        << NSA's Coolmini Gallery >>
        << Painting Agency - my painting blog >>

Comment

The muscles are really cool and I like the colour of the skirt you have in the image. It has a nice contrast to the skin colour.

Comment

The skirt color goes well with the skin. I would add something like Dheneb Stone or Bleached Bone into your base color in increasing amounts to create your highlight colors.
            http://www.stonetowerminiatures.com/.../ST_banner.gif

This Writer's Journey

If wishes were fished we'd all cast nets. - Gurney Halleck

Comment

Totally forgot to add updates here as I was working on oni warau, but here's the finished piece I took to salute this year:

oni gore.jpg

Since then I've amused myself mostly by sculpting, and with a little bit of on off painting. The latest stuff I've been fiddling with is the Spirits of Vengeance Malifaux crew, have painted up Kirai and Ikiryo so far. Trying to keep it all very muted, using VGC bonewhite and night blue as the highlights and shadows and adding grey to all the colours except the white faces.
              kirai ikiryo.jpg

Also, if anyone can remind me how to upload files from the PC full size rather than thumbnail that would be handy, I appear to have forgotten!

Comment

Really nice job Mako! What did you use to make the Bamboo?

Comment

Cheers, the bamboo is just plastic tubing from a model shop with some green stuff to make the joins. used astronomican grey instead of true grey to give it the slight blueness that real bamboo has

Comment

Well its a great job as they look very real. What green did you use?

Comment

The whole process was layered using mixes going through dark angels green, camo green, bleached bone and astronomican grey, with snakebite leather/bleached bone jointing. Using lines that widen towards the top end of each segment makes it look more natural

Comment

Thanks for the tips on doing bamboo! Kirai looks great and I really like the Oni as well.
                        My Small Blog: http://bloodthornstudios.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's a few more malifaux bits, the onryo and Kirai's totem (lost love) and a shot of the gang so far. Lost love is supposed to look like he's not really visible except in the light of his heart (oh god how sickeningly sweet and ET that sounds!), so there are glazes of the ground colours on his feet and less shading/highlighting as you get round his back. Considering these are tabletop rather than endless fussing and fiddling, I'm pretty happy with how they're going.

onryo.jpg
                          lost love.jpg
                          5 man crew.jpg

And I appear to have found a way to add in large photos again!

Comment

Excellent work, Mako. :D love the detail on the robes of Karai & onryo, and that's a neat idea for the lost love. :)
                            "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
                            Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743
                            sigpic

Comment

Really looking good so far!
                              "Have i gone 'round the bend?"
                              "Yes, you are mad. Completely bonkers. But here's a secret... the best of us are."
                              -Alice in Wonderland

Proud member of Fredericksburg, VA Game Vault Painters and W.A.S
                              Whimsical Miniatures Site and My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X