Spartan Stuff (skin tone efforts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan Stuff (skin tone efforts)

Upon Liz's suggestion I am trying to do a little practice on skin and skin tone. She reccomended a naked chick, but I got's none of them. It is disturbing how many scantily clad men I have though. I worked this guy this afternoon. Now, this is probably where I would call it done left to my own devices. Apologies about the pic, it's mounted on a pin vice and it's impossible for me to get a better pic then this currently...

What i have done so far is a base of Scorched brown over the whole model. VMC colors were used for the rest, layering Biege Brown and then 6-7 layers of thin paint done in 4 coats each up to the final alomst white with a little pink extreme-o highlight. Then I thinned the GW flesh wash 3:1 water/wash and applied it about 3 times to try and smooth out the different layers. Now, thoughts? How do you guys do your stuff, and what should I do differently on the next stuff?
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

I would try to keep the shadow line a bit smaller.

The paint looks good and smooth in the picture but either he has a six pack with muscles sticking out six inches or you may want to try to make the shadow line a bit smaller. Just what I think not what the paint gods say.

Comment

He's a 300 style spartan from tales of war. Maybe not 6 inches but the guy can do sit ups all day. I'm kinda trying to rip off Automaton's super stylized style. TRYING. Here's something I was using as inspiration. I actually have the model pic'd here but I wanted to do this sculpt first as practice. I actually have mutliples as the guy I ordered them from is legally retarded in all but one of the United States I guess. Here's the link to Automaton's pic....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/184673

So as you say his shadows are less prominent. I'll keep an eye on that. I think that maybe less then making the line smaller between the muscle seperations, maybe a thin glaze of one of the highlight colors over top might unify the scheme a little more, and make the transition less jarring? Hmmm. Also, I boldy predict that Automaton takes a LITTLE more time then I do. My greatest challenge is patience.

Thanks Tonbo/Al. Always happy to have crits!

Comment

I need a bit lighter photo to tell for sure but so far here's what I see;

The deliniation between the muscles is too dark and too wide. It might be the pics but there seems to be not much in the way of highlight. That's probably because of the flesh wash. It will darken things a lot. Notice how light automaton's is and how narrow the seperation of the muscle groups. There's also a fair amount of blue in the shadows. Take your time with it. Don't rush it. Allow one area to get done then move on to the next. It may take you days to finish but it will look good if you really work it.

Love the model BTW.
        Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Comment

what liz and tonbo said. seb uses a lot of colours on his skin tones, greens blues purples - add a few, just experiment with it, my best work is usually thwe stuff i 'mess around with'
          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

The thing I noticed the most from yours and his is the shadow colour on yours is a lot darker. His skin is much whiter and yous is a lot darker. So if you want to bring you skin tone up to his the shadow colour may need to be a bit lighter as well.

Comment

I think it is very well done and if you able to even compare it to automaton's model you've done well. If you are interested I found a skin-tone painting article by automaton here:

http://coolminiornot.com/article/aid/757/page/1

I haven't read it yet, but the model that he uses to illustrate his technique is amazing.

Comment

its a great article that
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

That article is tops, but I am not ready to invest 30 hrs into the skin on a model yet.

My thoughts to try and fix up the skin a little is to go over the shadows and try to nullify them significantly with some of the basic skin tone, or perhaps something from the highlight range that I used. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

my inkling would be to darken the light areas to tone down the gap, effectively creating a more middle eastern skin tone, but that may change past your idea for the mini
                    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord
                      my inkling would be to darken the light areas to tone down the gap, effectively creating a more middle eastern skin tone, but that may change past your idea for the mini
                      That's a good tip. I was hoping to get it much lighter though to try and echo the (de?)saturated look from the movie.

I was studying automaton's model, and it looks to my eye that he started at an extremely dark spot on the model, then brought the color up brighter. Does it look that way to anyone else?

But I might just try your tech out Brett. Like I say I got lots of these models And what better models to practice flesh on. Well maybe the naked chick that Liz reccomended.
                      Last edited by Darklord; 04-10-2010, 10:22 pm.

Comment

You're halfway between the eavy metal 'highlight all the edges' and the zenithal or 'pre determined light source' styles. This is something I used to do. But you are definitely going in the right direction.

I'v typed out a reply a few times but I can't get it to make sense in writing.
                        But basically you need a blend from light to dark from top to bottom of the figure (if you are going for zenithal) with the recesses having different shade values.
                        Hard to explain.

When i'm back in the house I photoshop up a few examples which will explain it much better than I can type it.

Peace and love...

Comment

Thanks Matty. That is actually kind of what I was thinking of going with, in terms of half zenithal and half EM style. Something not so directed light/shade based it looks goofy on the table, but not the extreme-o EM style of stuff that looks goofy for the opposite reason.

Automaton talks about what you refer to in his article. I think. That **** was so past my current level it wasn't even funny. He could have been talking about a basic surgical procedure to cure epilepsy and it would have made about as much impact.

Thanks for the help if you can find time.

*****es and Money...

Comment

ahhh does he have a brother ;)
                            Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says " oh crap....she's awake!~

Comment

Originally posted by wiccanpony
                              ahhh does he have a brother ;)
                              ?????

Comment

Working...
                              X