Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brambleten Paints Stuff

New Year, New Wamp, New Plog!

In this case it's doubly new Wamp as I'm testing posting this from the App.

2020 was predominately unproductive, with the exception being August, in which I painted up the Necron half of the Indomitus box. All told, I painted up 65 models last year.

2021 started up better - I got 11 painted up in January! They can be found here. My aim for the year is to keep my miniature completion remains above 6% on my spreadsheet. I was able to get up to 6% with these Albionnicans, so now I need to keep it there!

February has so far been a lot slower - I'm back attempting to be in Exam prep mode for the next fortnight.

That's enough talk - pictures!

I currently have two minis on the go - Black Panther from Crisis Protocol and the new Psychomancer for my Necrons.
    Attached Files
    The Chilling Network - home of #nonstopwargaming :)

That Necron is a cool sculpt, so much potential for a huge diorama.

Spreadsheets and percentages, when accounting meets painting! If you dont hit the 6% does that mean you cannot buy anymore until you do?
    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord
      That Necron is a cool sculpt, so much potential for a huge diorama.

Spreadsheets and percentages, when accounting meets painting! If you dont hit the 6% does that mean you cannot buy anymore until you do?
      The Psychomancer is a lot of fun, and was a really satisfying build. Some 40k characters are done in 5 pieces and still set you bacl 25 quid. This guy has an RRP at £21 and actually felt like he was value for money in the build.

Not hitting 6% would just mean sadness and not hitting my New Years Resolution. Focusing more on getting stuff done and boosting productivity is higher up the chart for me at the moment than boosting quality (not that I'll deliberately paint something crap - seeing some bad Crisis Protocol minis recently hurt my soul) so in places I'll be happy to draw the line at tabletop - which is where that Necron is headed to.

Comment

Last night was mostly spent adding recess washes of various inks into the coils on the necron - a bit of a faff, but once a little tidy up is done it'll match the robes on my previous Cryptek.

20210214_000427.jpg

20210214_000438.jpg

20210214_000448.jpg

Comment

looking good dude! nice to see you painting again.

also did you get the picyutes inline from the app? if so how?

Comment

Originally posted by ArkMechanicus View Post
            also did you get the picyutes inline from the app? if so how?
            Nope, this second set of pictures was uploaded via the mobile web page rather than the app. I haven't actually played with the forum on a desktop yet, which is something I need to remedy once the rugby is finished

Comment

This last week or so has been a bit quieter on the hobby front - I was supposed to have an exam on this upcoming Wednesday, so I've been stressing and working for that.

However, Thursday evening came around and they cancelled it, so my free time is back for now!

GW put their Black Library miniature for this year, Uriel Ventris, up for order on Saturday and I wanted him. However, despite 19 years in the hobby I've never been tempted to paint an Ultramarine due to not really liking the pastel blue scheme GW do and the whole poster boy thing.

I decided to do a test mini, with the condition that I didn't use any Macragge/Ultramarine blue, so I aimed a bit darker with some Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue as the core tone.

20210221_135545-01.jpeg

Being a test model, I figured I should probably do the shoulder icon as well. In the toss up between hating transfers and being crap at freehand, freehand practice won out and I followed the video that The Goldfish of Justice did a few months back. It's a little iffy in places, but it'll do for a first shot at it.

20210221_135949-01.jpeg

He was looking incredibly Games Workshop by the time I'd done his quick base of texture paint so I stuck some Gamer Grass neon pink tufts on, which adds a bit more brightness.

20210221_135535-01.jpeg

Now that he's done and photographed, I'm actually tempted to paint more of them - whether I feel the same after Ventris I'll have to wait and see, but I definitely don't hate this scheme.

Comment

I really like this in fact I think it's easily the best painting you've ever done. So much so I wasnt sure it was yours at first.

The blue tone is really nice and much better in my eyes than the usual
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Cheers. The blue had to be different to the usual one without going as dark as to invade the Crimson Fists territory.

I can see where I've cut corners or used the excuse of him being a test model to not do things 100%, so there is space to push the scheme higher if needed for the likes of Guilliman, who I do have sat in Resin Mountain.

In different 40k news, I finished the Psychomancer. Had a lot of fun with this guy, he just works so well just with washes, contrast and inks. He's such a fun sculpt compared to regular Infantry.

20210222_130100-01.jpeg

20210222_130107-01.jpeg

20210222_130118-01.jpeg

20210222_130130-01.jpeg

20210222_130142-01.jpeg

While the skull bit is a lot of fun, the most pain in the arse fussy bits were the coil recesses - I lined those with a few different blue inks, going from Daler Rowney Turquoise into Scale Colour Cyan and into DR Paynes Grey and back again on each coil.

I think part of the reason I've managed to get him done so quickly (he got released a fortnight ago) is that I've told myself that this army is purely tabletop level - hence messy metallic work and overflowing glow bits, also known in some circles as weathering and OSL. That way I'm not putting pressure on myself to get it 100% right on each mini.

Comment

Often the minis that are quick and easy paintjobs come out the best because your not trying to force it
                    It's like doing football tricks on the training ground is easier than during the cup final
                    Last edited by Darklord; 23-02-2021, 10:54 am.
                    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Nice job on his glowy digital skull thingy!

Comment

That's a nice looking marine Brambleten!

Originally posted by Brambleten

I think part of the reason I've managed to get him done so quickly (he got released a fortnight ago) is that I've told myself that this army is purely tabletop level - hence messy metallic work and overflowing glow bits, also known in some circles as weathering and OSL. That way I'm not putting pressure on myself to get it 100% right on each mini.
                        That's great too, are you happy with having him done to that standard?

Comment

Darklord yep, completely agree on that.

aku.chan cheers!

@Ark - thanks! I am pretty happy with the standard on the Necrons. They were a happy accident - I didn't manage to shift that half of the ForgeBane box from a few years back so already had some when Indomitus came around and decided I may as well paint some in an easy scheme that wasn't silver washed in black with green glow.

I'd quite happily say that they're tabletop, maybe a tiny bit more. In doing them in this scheme I've so far managed to get a lot more painted than I usually do in an army (usually I get paralysed by not wanting to screw up).

Helpfully this screenshot doesnt have the actual column titles on, so coming back in from the right, there is completion percentage, total minis and painted minis - so Necrons are substantially further in than everyone else in 40k :)

Screenshot_20210228-150408_Dropbox.jpg

Comment

Ahh, the spreadsheet of shame! Always fun to see :D

Lovely stuff, how was painting the purple markings on Black Panther?
                            A model what I painted: My WIP thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mako View Post
                              Ahh, the spreadsheet of shame! Always fun to see :D

Lovely stuff, how was painting the purple markings on Black Panther?
                              The Panther markings were interesting. I still need to go back and finish him to be honest. All of the areas I've added purple to him were sculpted suit details, just really light! Add in the muscle tone across the entire body and you get a pattern that is completely at odds with itself, so the suit highlights need toning down to make the purple pop more.

Once upon a time, I used to be good at updating each and every stage of a paintjob, but apparently I've built and painted Uriel Ventris without posting him at all!

So here he is - he did get a coat of Instar Varnish+ which has muted him a little, particularly on the metals, but he'll fit in with the rest of the force once I paint it now.

20210309_003226-01.jpeg

20210309_003236-01.jpeg

20210309_003248-01.jpeg
                              20210309_003304-01.jpeg

20210309_003312-01.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X