Mako's 2021 WIP board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako's 2021 WIP board

Because the last one was 111 pages long, which seems... excessive!
    (linky: Mako's new WIP of more randomness - Wamp (wampforum.com))

So far this year I've not been too unproductive, I got these guys finished as the New year ticked over:

And have made a start on the next underworlds warband in the pile, the Slaaneshi Dread Pageant. Started out as a concept of Rocky Horror, Richard O'Brien and Rainbows, and ended up... well, nowhere near really but I'm pretty happy! Thinking of darkening the skin a little more to make the scars show up better, and then I need to worry about basing:

Also, the back of his helmet crest keeps making me want a nobbly bobbly...
    My favourite bit is the iridescent look loincloth, that came out a lot better than expected!
    Last edited by Mako; 07-02-2021, 02:42 pm.
    A model what I painted: My WIP thread

Looking good mate. I think more definition on the flesh would be good. I think the boys need more depth too, some brown glazes perhaps as the bits look a bit off, a bit. Chalky.

Basing wise temple flooring perhaps?
    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I think yeah some glazes would make the plainer areas more interesting (eg bums). That said they still have a strong look, the armour contrast with the big bases sells them from the front for me.
      Last edited by ArkMechanicus; 14-02-2021, 12:50 pm.

Comment

Cheers guys!
        I went pretty soft on the Orks, to try and give them a more soft fungus look (old school fluff there) Most of the focus was on the armour, so the rest was kept fairly simple. Maybe a little too simple!

I think the scars washed out the flesh tones on the Slaaneshi leader, need to go back over it with some deeper tones and make it look like darker skin rather than it all blending together.
        I've been toying with a kind of primitive cavern temple look, rough mosaics and rocks, as the background for them is that they're raiding an ancient (sentient) mountain, whose caverns are leaking liquid amber. Rivulets of clear amber and such on crude mosaics and rock could be fun, but it seems a bit lame after the mountains for the orks!

Comment

Sounds good mate. I've got some gems coming in stock soon, might work adding a couple into the bases if you wanted some colour in the re
          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Mako View Post
            Cheers guys!
            I went pretty soft on the Orks, to try and give them a more soft fungus look (old school fluff there) Most of the focus was on the armour, so the rest was kept fairly simple. Maybe a little too simple!

I think the scars washed out the flesh tones on the Slaaneshi leader, need to go back over it with some deeper tones and make it look like darker skin rather than it all blending together.
            I've been toying with a kind of primitive cavern temple look, rough mosaics and rocks, as the background for them is that they're raiding an ancient (sentient) mountain, whose caverns are leaking liquid amber. Rivulets of clear amber and such on crude mosaics and rock could be fun, but it seems a bit lame after the mountains for the orks!
            Nice! Have you been painting all of the underworlds warbands?

Comment

Apparently I need to edit my notifications to email me for this thread!

Not all of them Ark, I have 7 now but two were because they were in the starter boxes rather than because I wanted them particularly. Two fully painted, one in progress, and I'll get to the rest before the next ice age hopefully!

At the moment I've been distracted by Marvel Crisis Protocol, been experimenting with comic book style. Need to do something larger scale though as a break, all that tiny stuff is hard work!

Also, I'm out of gloss varnish so gaming pieces can't get their usual protection...

Comment

And with that the very last drips of gloss are used up, until the stock issues plaguing Vallejo in the UK clear up...

Tried to do something similar to the style of SAGA's cover art. Went ok in places, badly in others!

Comment

Looks good, particularly the taxi!

Comment

Working...
                  X