Scott's Iron Painter WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott's Iron Painter WIP

So UnDave gave me the idea to use this fig for the contest over on Wyrd. It's a wyrd mini, and I'd like to use the company's figs for this and future contest where possible.

I dunno. I like the fig, love the idea for the Joker scheme but I feel very pessimistic about this contest. Here's so far... I need a break from this project. I'm going to spend a couple days going back to doing some me stuff and not worry so much about the finished fig. This has been a rough couple weeks for my painting head space for whatever reason. I'm starting to feel like I am dating a chick with lots of emotional baggage. Except she lives in my head. Here's what I got...

So.... I need to work the gloves over a little more for sure. They look pretty rough. I plan on applying liberal blood splatter using Vallejo Transparent red. I'm actually happy with the metal work on the reflector on his head. I'm not "throw up in my mouth when I look at him" displeased with it, I just wish I felt more confident about the Iron Painter contest. Man Darklord and all who've competed over there.... that's a TOUGH crowd! Some of their WIP shots are very impressive.

Fire away. Be tough PLEASE! From the pic taking to ANYTHING on the model. I'm going to wait a couple of days so it won't be like my usual post a WIP then go finish the fig and come back to see what the tips are kind of deal.

Thanks to all. Should I post this on Wyrd or CMON? Thanks guys and gals!
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Work on the hair and gloves looks sloppy and the face could be smother. Still a good looking job.

Comment

the pic is making the gloves very purple and the clothes blue. Make sure your color balance is right
      Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Comment

the whole thing looks chalky, not sure wether there is any drybrushing in there are hard water maybe?
        anyway from top to toe here we go:
        try highlighting the hair so that the ends are slightly lighter (so each hair goes from dark at the scalp to lighter at the ends. not loads but a bit.
        leaqther strap need a highlight.
        face looks good, maybe lighten the teeth a little to bring them out and create more menace.
        his top and gloves i would redo to be honest. start with your midtones then use thin washes to go darker in the shadows (say maybe 10 - 20 thin washes) then take your mid-tone and lighten it slighttly ( say space wolves grey for the blue and bleached bone for the purple)
        trousers need further highlights and a few thin layers in the shadow areas. a thin final highlight to the shoes and the tiles need work. think what angle the light is coming from and the tile edge facing that way needs to be extreme higlighted and the tile darkened away from there.
        im being harsh here matye because you asked for it.
        hope its helped a little
        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Ok cool, thanks guys. The light levels are crap as well (for color choice) the top is purple, but defo looks blue.

Anyway, I got time yet so I'm gonna sit on it and not pick it up at all until tomorrow. UnDave reccomends I put a playing card in his left hand, I'm gonna try it!

Comment

I like the playing card idea.
            Will paint for food

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Kester
            http://www.richplanet.net

Comment

Yeah, me too. I just gotta find an image and try shrinking it down. I've never done that so I am not at all confident on what to do, or where to look for it. ANy thoughts?

I'll spend tomorrow afternoon re-working the top half of the model. I actually thought the top was pretty decent, and that the apron might've been a little lacking. I'll use the comments to re-do both the gloves and the top. I'll start back with the mid tone and use a mix of black/purple wash from the citadel range to work into the recesses. Maybe thinned to 2:1 water:wash? Thinner? I'll give it a shot.

The base has had just a base coat and a wash of ye olde Devlan mud, I'll work it as suggested. The highlights on the shoes, pants and leatehr starp will be easy enough to do.

Also, a thought. I'm painting under plain old fashioned regular cool white light bulbs but taking pic'
              s with daylight bulbs. That's probably part of why I'm not seeing on the screen what I wind up holding in my hand. I can't convert the light I paint by (as there the overhead dining room lights) so I might have to switch to plain old fashioned bulbs in my lighting for pics. Maybe?

Comment

Hey Scott remember your ork skin and using purple for your skin. I am going to suggest you add some dark green to your purple to darken up the gloves. Read something about if you use black to darken up your work you get the black absorbing light problem in those colours. So if you want try to add dark green to darken up your purple. I would be all for it.

Comment

I'll give it a shot most likely!

Comment

Okay I re-did the shirt, gloves, highlighted the hair, the leather band, the shoes, started the floor. How about now...

Any improvement?

Comment

OK piccies still outta focus but I like what you've done so far. The blends look much smoother, and the apron looks like cloth. The hair could do with some smoothing out IMO

Comment

Looks good so far. Things look far more purple. If you are going to stand any chance at all in IP you'll have to sort out your photos though. How fine a brush do you have? I'd take a really fine pointed brush and some really thin lime green paint and actually paint highlights in his hair. Individual hairs. Right now his hair looks kind of like painted clumps of matted hair. We need to see more definition. Not too much of the lime green, just a bit to suggest seperation of strands.
                        Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Comment

much better, try going a little lighter on the knuckles on the gloves. photo needs to be a bit lighter, do you edit them at all?
                          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Yeah those are edited, just the light levels corrected is all. Will do the gloves up this afternoon. Good tip using Space Wolves grey, man you LOVE that color!

Comment

yeah space wolves and devlan mud! who needs anything else! the blue tone in it helps counter the red in others (like scorched brown)
                              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Working...
                              X