Dalsgaard's WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalsgaard's WIP

Hello fellow Wamps. After a couple of years away from the hobby I have decided to pick up the brushes again. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to give everything away (brushes, figs, paints, etc) a while ago, so I have had to start over from scratch.

So far I've bought a couple of boxes of Chaos Cultists and Chaos Space Marines that I am slowly adding big blobs of paint to (Is it me or has the brushes gotten bigger and the details smaller?).

I've also decided to mess around with making some nurglish stuff to get better at sculpting (plus Nurgle is cool) which so far has resulted in this fellow.

20140106_093337.jpg

He needs a little more blobs on his legs, but otherwise I'm quite happy with the result.

I have decided that a scourged desert/wasteland would be good for bases and have made a prototype to test the design.

20140106_140027.jpg

Both the nurglestuff and the base are made with Milliput as that is what I had available, but I think I will switch to green stuff as that should be easier to work with.
    "Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back."
    - Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

My new paint blog - Brath's Paint Shop

Excellent! I like the cracked earth look. Craeful when you switch to GS , the figure should be fine but the GS is hard to get sharper edges and may look rounded as cracked earth. I use apoxie sculpt for sharp edges and GS for everything else.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the advice nemissary. I haven't had that much experience with GS (or other sculpting materials) before so I wasn't aware that something like sharp edges could be a problem. I guess I will stick to Milliput for the bases for the time being then.

Hmm.. perhaps I should read some tutorials on sculpting..

Comment

welcome back to the fold!

good start mate. I think the cracked earth need to be more angular, the cracks are too organic for me at present. I would stay with Milliput for the base asnemissary says easier to get straight edges, you cuold add a little GS to the milliput though for some pliability
        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I agree Darklord, a bit more angularity (did not know that was a real word) to the cracks would look better. I hadn't thought of mixing milliput and GS. I will have to give that a try.

Comment

no worries mate, i usually go for about a 80% Milliput/10% Green Stuff/10% Magic mix
            Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
              no worries mate, i usually go for about a 80% Milliput/10% Green Stuff/10% Magic mix
              What is Magic mix?

Comment

Originally posted by S_Dalsgaard View Post
                What is Magic mix?
                no the mix is Milliput/Greenstuff/Magic.

Only fairies can provide the last one

Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Ahh, that makes sort of sense and now excuse me while I go wash my eyes with chlorine.

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
                    no the mix is Milliput/Greenstuff/Magic.

Only fairies can provide the last one

DL made a selfie?
                    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

Earth cracks differently dependent on composition. That base looks spot on to me.

If DL didn't own the site I'd so be wielding my Banhammer of Moderation on that fairy :06:
                      "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
                      "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
                      "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
                      "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
                      "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
                      "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

Originally posted by Undave View Post
                        If DL didn't own the site I'd so be wielding my Banhammer of Moderation on that fairy :06:
                        DL, you gonna let one of your mod minions call you fairy?
                        :cheeky:

agree with the banhammering fairy bashing mod about the base, though.
                        ever thought of making a couple of bases, then moulding them and casting in plaster? it'll save you a lot of grief...
                        The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

or just buy some from Model Display Products lol
                          http://www.artisan-quarters.com/index.php
                          http://www.brokentoad.co.uk/
                          http://pnp.li/QXSl
                          http://pnp.li/q9jv
                          http://pnp.li/uTvk

Comment

Originally posted by Normski View Post
                            or just buy some from Model Display Products lol
                            That would be too easy :-)

Here's my third attempt with a little colour added to get a better idea if it works.

20140108_122015.jpg

I'm happy with the result although it isn't quite the colour I want. I need to experiment a little more.

It is my intention to make ten or so I am happy with and then make moulds of them so I can mass produce them for an entire army. Actually I might just make a texture stamp instead so I can make different sized bases. Then I can add small details like skulls to them individually.

Comment

I'm still working on my Nurgle marines, trying to sculpt some more and finding the right colour scheme for them (I'll probably go with Pre-Heresy Death Guard colours), but in the meantime I just received Steampunk Arielle (Guild of Harmony) in the mail, which I want to be my first showcase paintjob this time around.

st_steampunk_arielle.jpg

I have been thinking on how to base her and I've come up with two ideas. Either placing her on a rock with rough sea spray around her (something like Drifter083's on CMoN - www.coolminiornot.com/337991) or making a harbor setting for her, with her standing on the edge of a wharf.

One of the things I want to try with this model is painting see-through wet clothing, which her dress is perfect for and that would be most appropriate with the rock base, but on the other hand it has already been done rather well by Drifter083. With the wharf base I can better emphasize the steampunk theme (cobblestones, sewers, etc.), but it is a bit harder to explain a wet dress. Perhaps I can suggest rain somehow.

If anyone has any ideas or comments let me know. I don't intend to paint her until I get my hands on an airbrush and get a little more control over my brushes, so it will probably be a couple of months before she is finished.

Comment

Working...
                              X