Scott vs The MaxMini Dwarf Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott vs The MaxMini Dwarf Hero

Okay so I saw a post on the CMoN boards for a new fig from a small company out of Poland Called MaxMini. The fig looked awesome, and I had to have it. I felt obliged to act fast because as many have pointed out the fig bears an INCREDIBLE likeness to some GW artwork. I am not getting into any copyright debates or even accusing the company of knowingly sculpting it so similarily... I just felt that I wanted the mini badly enough that I may as well stay one step ahead of GW legal, just in case.

I ordered two of these mini's and after shipping they came to my door in about one weeks time for the price of 33 bucks and change CDN. So far so good. I easily felt they were worth the price. BONUS.... I may have misread the add in my haste to buy this model I don't know that I read that it came with an option for two weapons or one weapon and shield. Cool. I opted for the shield option. This model is resin, and the detail is sharp. It cleaned up well with a little filing, and just needed a shot of super glue on the shield to fill a SLIGHT deficiency in the mold. Not enough resin in one of the two shields.

The model is in two pieces and the shield hand doesn't fit that well. It looks like they had to make a small sacrifice in the fit of the shield hand to better accomadate the two hand weapon. No biggy as someone of my sculpting skills can easily overcome the obstacle (Translation: Nobody see's the wrist join when the shield fits over top). I just used a little two part 5 min epoxy -'cause pinnin' is for sucka's!- and away we go.

So this is what it looks like after the basics. I made a small mound of green stuff, coated it in white glue and my base mix of 1:1 coarse/fine sand. Primer is Armory Black Primer and the base is painted Vallejo SS Cam Black-Brown, then drybrushed Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey followed by Khemri Brown. Then it's heavily washed with good 'ole Devlan mud. So far I think the my work is on par with getting a 9/10 on CMoN or higher! Now on to step 2: Screwing it up!

So after that I basecoated the model with three thin coats of the old Matt Sterbentz 1:1 Black/Boltgun Metal creation CHAOS METAL! I followed his advice and mixed a jar of it up, and haven't looked back. Check out his metalic link article http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/744 if you haven't already!

So far, so good. I think Now I am on par for that 7/10 I have been hoping for! So now I am off to try and beat my son into sleep mode. Then I am off to pray to the God of "More Contrast" and hit this baby with both barrels in the morning before work. You take care internet, I'll see you in the morning....
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

So far so good, looking forward to seeing this done, and knowing you that will be sooner than later. Painting this one should hopefully help with your metal work.

I realy like the fig. Next time you're doing some fig ordering let me know, I may want to get in on it.

Comment

Looks good so far. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I love dwarves so you've got my attention!
      Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gluvzer
        So far so good, looking forward to seeing this done, and knowing you that will be sooner than later. Painting this one should hopefully help with your metal work.

I realy like the fig. Next time you're doing some fig ordering let me know, I may want to get in on it.
        Hey, I could sell you the other one and always re-order it...

I will likely be doing a gamezone order here on the quick-quick. I let Dragon's Den have first crack to see if Darren can bring in some stuff.

Comment

Cool start Scott, looking forward to seeing the next stages.

Comment

nice fig, screams chaos dwarf to me! i would be tempted to re=do a final touch on the base, a very dry drybrush of desert yellow maybe?

is he 32mm scale?
            Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

28mm, and the base will look like this once finished...

I just do that part of the basework first because it's messy.

thanks guys!

Comment

cant wait to see him done
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Nice snow there and good work on one of my favourite GW minis of all time. Have we all painted one of these?
                  "...but sorry looks like a primary school project!" - my best review yet! :thumbsup:

Comment

i havent, but then i havent painted a space marine either
                    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I haven't successfully painted a Space marine yet. I can honestly say that the dwarf was one of my favourite minis ever to paint. Full of character and detail - I highly recommend it.
                      "...but sorry looks like a primary school project!" - my best review yet! :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord
                        i havent, but then i havent painted a space marine either
                        ....?????.... What? Really? I thought they were issued with every painters first brush?

If you say that at a party the record skips and the dancing stops while everyone looks at you. A cricket chirps in the background. Now go to a mirror and say "Gav Thorpe" three times and a GW guy should rappel from the ceiling with your SM boxed set.

Comment

better than this one im doing i hope, he may be short but he's a stubborn little fella
                          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I've never done a space marine either, although my son keeps asking me to do his Chaos Marines. I will resist I will resist.

Comment

oh i've done chaos ones - just not the goody 2 shoes ones
                              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Working...
                              X