Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MamaGeek
    replied
    I was home sick with a cold, so I finished up the diorama. I plan to do tweaks, nitpicks, etc., so have at it, tell me what needs fixing. I'd like to add a railing to the top of the stair landing, but I don't know what to make it out of that I have at hand. I'm entering this in a show on Saturday, along with several other pieces, including St. Patrick, which I also need to finish this week, so I don't have a lot of time.

Here's what all the symbols mean:

Door Number:
    9413: "九死一生" (gau2 sei2 yat1 saang1 in Cantonese) nine die to one live, meaning 90% chance of being dead and only 10% chance of being alive, or survived from such situations (a narrow escape).

Wall Art:
    Literally: the Changjiang River waves behind drive the waves ahead.
    Meaning: Each new generation excels the last one.

Graffiti:
    River Crab - internet slang for censorship
    Text - "Inharmonious"

Book Cover:
    Falun Dafa emblem - symbol of the banned Chinese religion Falun Gong

Leave a comment:

• MamaGeek
    replied
    Thanks, Iacton!

OK, so I replaced the too-big rat with a pile of newspapers, a bucket, and a couple crumpled pieces of paper. You can see my oops! on the wall there. Plus I fixed the stairs, and need to repaint them. I plan to add some graffiti to the walls in the alleyway as well.

Here's a closeup:

And here are the kids:

Leave a comment:

• Darklord
    replied
    a bicycle?

or a motorway?

Sounds daft but found this while googling chinese house images for you

A four-lane highway has been built around a solitary apartment block in China after residents refused to sign an agreement to allow their home to be demolished.

They said that the compensation offered was not enough to cover rebuilding costs, according to local media.

Their house is the only building left standing on the road, which was paved through their village Xiazhangyang near Wenling in Zhejiang province.

Thousands of cars will soon be speeding past the building every day on their way to the railway station in Wenling, a metropolis of

Stubborn families said they could open up a shop for business.

Resident Zhang Ling, 46, told the Mirror: “They didn’t offer us enough compensation to leave so we’re staying. It could be a good opportunity for us. We could open up a drive through shop on the ground floor.

Leave a comment:

• Iacton
    replied
    I ended up watching an art programme on BBC a few nights ago and Ai Weiwei's Sacred piece was featured as part of the modern art thing currently going on in Venice. The inspiration to you is obvious in what you've done so far. :)

Leave a comment:

• Corporea
    replied
    A pile of newspapers? Otherwise the bucket would look good, maybe with a sponge and partial graffiti? The lighting looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

• MamaGeek
    replied
    I worked on the OSL some more, and the police are attached now. The door, doorknob, and hinges are painted as well. I need to add an apartment number somewhere, I think.

And I'm still not thrilled with that rat. I think I will take him off. I just need to figure out what to put in its place. Here's what I have in my bits box:
    closed book, empty wooden bucket, wooden barrel, long-handled shovel, chicken (to scale), coiled rope.

I am not very good at sculpting, but I could probably manage some trash.

Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• MamaGeek
    replied
    Thanks, DL. I keep,going back and forth on the rat. Some people love it, and some hate it. I think it's too big, but others point out it is a symbol of fertility in China, so I don't know.

thanks for the OSL advice. Just what I was looking for. I'll try what you suggested!

Leave a comment:

• Darklord
    replied
    great work on the stockings and hair.

I would drop the rat, looks more like a capybara at that scale!

the OSl reflections look good but I wuold go much brighter (using white in the mix) on the lamp itself. Then I would really push the contrast on the OSL by making the Shadows much darker, almost black at the edges. Doing this will not only make the OSL pop but also give a sense of dark oppressiveness which will help the mood of the piece

Leave a comment:

• MamaGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Endor View Post
    Great work, I like the sheer effect and the hair looks really black with the right shine to it. What did you use to highlight it? Working a lot with blacks lately and always on the lookout for new ways to approach it :)
    Nothing special, just black and white.

Leave a comment:

• Endor
    replied
    Great work, I like the sheer effect and the hair looks really black with the right shine to it. What did you use to highlight it? Working a lot with blacks lately and always on the lookout for new ways to approach it :)

Leave a comment:

• MamaGeek
    replied
    Yeah, I know the sides are kind of bulging. I did use plasticard, but it was after I had already did the plaster thing on the walls. I decided after I saw it that I wanted plain black there, so I wrapped the plasticard over it. I was too chicken to trim it first.

Thanks for the OSL advice. I'll probably put some more time in on that soon. In the meantime, here's the Mom. She needs a few touchups, but she's mostly done. The hair was really fun to paint!

Leave a comment:

• Normski
    replied
    Hey Mama, nice work so far, I can see Endors point about the sloping edges but its your burger have it your way but if it was me I would have to make it straighter just a bit of OCD lol

Im no expert on OSL but light fades the further away from the sourse it goes so to make it seem brighter you may only need to shade the surrounding areas more so the area around the lights look brighter? maybe a couple of layers of dark wash from the edges inwards? if ya know what I mean?

Leave a comment:

• Endor
    replied
    Great work on the oriental rug - I actually thought it was a piece of fabric you had worked on! Anyway, I would have preferred sharp edges framing the scene. The edges of the 'cube' are very rounded, kind of falling off towards the edges. I find this a bit distracting, but might be a matter of taste. I'd frame the whole dio with plasticard or the like to get straight edges. Just my two cents ;)

Leave a comment:

• MamaGeek
    replied
    It is difficult to get accurate information about what goes on in China, but the one-child policy is excessively enforced, especially in rural areas, through coercive measures, including forced abortions and sterilizations. It is for exposing such atrocities that Chen Guangcheng had to flee to the U.S. Embassy in May of last year, to seek asylum for himself and his family.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ons/56465974/1

Leave a comment:

• warhammergrimace
    replied
    The one child policy was a bit of a farce, as my partners parents had two children.... But were never charged with violating the policy..... It no longer exists these days....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X