Nathan's ongoing bretonnian project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nathan's ongoing bretonnian project

So I am in the process of making an angelic/crusading-themed bretonnian army. The story I have come up with is this: A small band of knights who have forsaken the Lady and are outcasts. They are led by a knight who had a vision of a utopia shown to him by a bright winged being. He and his knights have been joined by a fanatic band of warrior-monks (battle pilgrims). The other half of the army are the angels (the bright winged beings) who represent pegasus knights and characters riding royal pegasi (I'm not sure of the plural of pegasus). I am almost done the knightly units, I have 3 units which are based on knightly orders from the crusades: templars (red and white), teutonic (yellow and white) and hospitaliers (black and white). I'm not really going for historical accuracy here so the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" was my main inspiration! The battle pilgrims are going to be lugging around a cross (the grail reliquae) similar to the one that the army of Jerusalem carried with them in the movie.

Now that I've completely bored you with a lot of words here are the shiney pictures! Please don't hold back with your comments/criticism!

Test model for the black Hospitalier unit:

Knights Templar with the army standard bearer (the red one):

Teutonic Knights (just need to finish off the musician and they are done):

The white and black cloth were new for me. Before this if I wanted something white I painted it white, one coat and moved on. Here I tried some blending with greys and it worked pretty well. If I was to do it again and time was no issue I'd probably put more layers into them, but as it is I'm pretty happy with the results. Only 5 more knights to paint and then I'm on to the 30 or so battle pilgrims!

I like the bases a pile. As you say more layers would be your friend with the whites. I still think it's great, and the best stuff you've done. The metalics can be improved, but I'll let some others with better experience chime in on that.

Glad you're here!
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Thanks Scott, the bases were really easy to do. I just slapped a thin layer of greenstuff down, used a knife to get the cobblestone pattern and then glued some sand down for the moss/grass. They were base coated black, then the cobblestones got scorched brown, graveyard earth and desert yellow while the moss is just dark angels green with a drybrush of goblin green.

Comment

These are good mate. May be a few more layers in the blend, but the techniques there. You've obviously got a steady had to get those crosses fairly neat too.

Plus your trying to get an army done, I find getting one regiment done tedious so hats off to you!!

Comment

The whites look a bit thin. Do you prime in black? It shows through a bit. But you're on the right track with the whites. Just need a bit more coverage. I like the bases too. Well done on those!

Black and white are very hard to do. I'll look around for some articles I saw on them a while back.
          Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Comment

I do prime with black. I then painted everything with codex gray, then fortress gray and finally a couple coats of thinned white (maybe I need a couple more). The red crosses are scab red then blood red and outlined with black and the yellow are golden yellow then bad moon yellow. The black knights are basecoated black, then varying mixtures of black and codex gray, then some fortress gray. After I'm done with that I take very watered down black and go back over it especially in the lower spots on the cloth to darken it back down. I then go in and paint the crosses and put some thinned white highlights along edges and high points, blending them slightly with my fingers. I can definately do more with the metallics, basically it is just boltgun metal. I plan to go back in with some mithril silver later but for the sake of getting done I haven't yet. Maybe over Christmas holidays.

Thanks for all the comments, here is a picture of the battle standard bearer. I am pretty proud of how this guy turned out but that doesn't mean you can't have criticism!

(this was before I had decided on a way to base them)

Comment

REally like this, great theme with a lot of opportunities for painting as well as converting. Think the standard bearer looks awesome.

Comment

your white need a lot more layers, say 10.
                i would personally prime with white or grey for these models. will give you a brugihter look which suits brettonian. anyway thats by the by.
                Get the white solid by adding more layers. I would be tempted to redefine the heraldic crosses on the edges. some are black edged others arent.
                the red needs more coats, and i would add a wash to the metal, a 1 part blck to 2 parts blue wash would work well (keep it thin though and do in 3 or so layers.
                A thin brown wash on the parchment would help give it some depth and age,
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Any more progress on this Nathan?
                  "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                  -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

I finished painting the rest of the knights, now it is on to the pilgrims! I'm going to try some sculpting with the reliquae, I'm getting rid of the skeleton guy and I'm going to try to sculpt either a big cross or the ark (like from Indiana Jones (or the Bible!)). I'm also going to try to sculpt some cool bases for them, but I'll wait until I find out if I'm successful before going into more detail!

Thanks for the advice Darklord, I agree that I do need more layers to get smoother gradients from shadows to light and to make everything look a bit more natural, I'm happy with what I did, but I know that I still have a long way to go! The problem is I don't have the patience or the time to do 10 layers on 18 knights! I'm probably going to go back and give these guys some touch-ups, especially the metals but for now I'm more interested in getting the army ready for gaming. I still have to figure out how to make 9 angels (pegasus knights) as well as 2 greater angels (lord and hero). Any suggestions?

Comment

Can we see a shot of the finished unit please?
                      Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Comment

prime white and the number of layers of white isnt an issue!!! for angels i would agree with pagesus knights for the wings. If you dont mind going away from GW then check out the satan wars minis by westwind, those would save on converting etc.
                        The links in the link section bud
                        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I think I am going to try painting the pilgrims' robes white so I'll try priming them white to start with. Once I have everything else done I'll go back and add some layers to smooth out the knights, as well as some more highlighting on the knights. Speaking of which, I'll put some pictures of them up as soon as I have time.

For the angels I think I would like to try keep with GW stuff so that the army fits together nicely. I was thinking of using dark elf witch-elves with the pointy bits on their armour filed smooth and with shields and spears instead of the evil-looking swords and daggers I would have to do some green-stuff work with their hair to make it more angelic-looking but I think it might work. I think I might also have to add some more flowing robes or something.

For my characters I have the Deceiver from 40K with griffon wings and Sigmund the Magnificent from the new Warriors of Chaos with The metal folded Pegasus wings. They are somewhat assembled but not quite ready for photos yet.

Comment

sounds good, looking forward to seeing sigmund
                            Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

As promised here are the last of the knights. The pictures aren't that great, I don't have any special photobooth or even light setup so it is just macro setting on the camera and a steady hand! As I said before these guys were painted quickly for the sake of being done and I'll go back and touch them up if I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X