Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegascat's ongoing WiPs - Roll the bones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the addition of gold and spirits - raised it up to an "end of level boss encounter" feel.

Still think you should get some moss or grass tufts in-between the edges of the stairs and the tower itself to break up the outline and add texture.

The traps and guide ropes on the stairs are a great touch, you spot something new on each picture. This has come together very nicely!
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

Comment

• Thanks Nerodine! Of course I remembered your suggestion of the grass tufts after taking pictures tonight. :P

I added the skeletons and ivy today. I'm most likely going to go over the skeletons with a brown wash of some kind to make them look a bit dirtier than they do now, though I'm not 100% certain of that. I added ivy in three places and I'm honestly not sure if I need more or its fine as is. Its my first time using it and so I'm at a loss. Let me know what you folks think.

I just couldn't get a good shot of the last one, so here are a few so you get the idea:

Thanks again for looking and please let me know what you think. I have about half a pack of ivy left and so I can add more if you folks think it needs it.
      Attached Files
      Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Comment

• After finishing the great diorama of 2016 and attending TempleCon (which was fun, but a huge disappointment due to severe lack of attendance). I picked a model that I'd been wanting to work on since getting my models from the Bombshell Babes 2 KS a while ago (they're doing BB 3 right now for those interested). I've apparently forgotten everything I know about two brush blending and had a hell of a time getting the model to where it is. Although part of that is what little I did last weekend on the bottom, purple, part of her dress. Overall, I think it doesn't look bad, but its not where I want it to be. I tried one of Soshie Bauer's skin painting tutorials and I think the skin turned out 100% better than my usual skin tones. Her eyes look...okay. Otherwise I've not idea what I've done to her face. It looks odd to me, but I'm not sure if its the sculpt or just my crappy painting. Please let me know what you guys think I can do to fix her face and the blending.

Oh! I almost forgot that I finally took the plunge and made a arch light for my painting desk!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Wow, what a light setup!

I think the face is mostly the sculpt, the nose is pretty wide, I don't think it's too awful though, just looks Asian. The eyes are slightly wonky I think? If you fix that I think it would be fine.

The purple transition is a bit sudden, but you can fix that with some glazes. :)

The skin and cloth around the waist looks ace!

Comment

• Thanks for the compliments! I'm going to work on the purple again this weekend. I watched a video about purple today and flesh tones were recommended to use for highlighting, so I may try a bit of that as well as some glazes from the purple into the color above it. Someone else recommended drying retarder to help with blending, which I have, but have never used. Any recommendations there?

Comment

• I've sometimes used it but generally not, I did find it invaluable in the hot weather in the UK recently though. So maybe it depends a bit on your climate? I find in hot/dry conditions the paint dries a bit too quickly for me so you need it. But in the (mostly) rainy moderate conditions of the UK I don't really use it.

Comment

• I like the skintones on her, smooth work. Can't comment on the two-brush blending, it isn't a technique I've tried previously - but echoing Ark that a few glazes in the transition would help that greatly.

Also, scrolling back a few more posts, the finished tower looks great!
                Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

Comment

• Interesting light setup. Are the leds quite blue or is that just how they show in the photo?
                  Free Graphic Novels. Here

One Thousand Monkeys writing - including free ebooksmy dA

Comment

• @Nerodine - Thanks! I'm hopefully going to be able to work on her tomorrow night.

@Truename - They just look blue in the photo for some reason. I have a feeling its the light bouncing off of the desk that makes it look that way. I really do like it now that I've been using it for a few weeks.

I did get a little midweek time in last night and worked on this base for another model. Its my first time working with real earth. I just mixed earth with white glue and applied it. It looks okay, but looks more like mud than dirt, do you guys know any way to fix that? Thank you in advance!

Comment

• You could try having a go at it with a wire brush to rough it up (I think the muddy-ness you point out might partly be the smoothness of it), and/or rubbing in some soft pastels of the right colours.
                      Free Graphic Novels. Here

One Thousand Monkeys writing - including free ebooksmy dA

Comment

• Thanks, I'll give that a try! And then try the pastels if it still doesn't workout.

Comment

• Yeah I agree it's the texture, maybe stippling when you're painting might get it more like soil?

What model are you putting on it? Looks like a battle engine?

EDIT: Lovely idea for a base by the way! where did you get the skull?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArkMechanicus View Post
                            Yeah I agree it's the texture, maybe stippling when you're painting might get it more like soil?

What model are you putting on it? Looks like a battle engine?

EDIT: Lovely idea for a base by the way! where did you get the skull?

Close, its a colossal, the Conquest, for my friend's Khador army. I'm probably going to start painting the model (Well, the lower half anyways) this weekend so that I can pin it to the base, so that I can work on the rest of the base around the legs of the model. I did some initial spacing on the legs and I think I'll be okay, but I don't want to get too far into the other side of the base and then realize I have to go back and start trying to cut things off of the base so that the model will fit.

The skull and the LED light under it are both from the Dollar Store, so I paid a whopping two dollars total for both of them. With Halloween coming up soon, there's different sized skeletons/skulls there for me to chose from. Also, because its so cheap, I don't feel bad about carving the skull up to make this base.

Here's two links to two short videos I made of the skulls with the LED glowing initially. I also wrote a bit of backstory for the base (Yes, I know, *total* overkill for a base for a model, but I was in the groove and my muse was singing sweetly in my ear). I'll post the short backstory here if anyone's interested in reading it. In any case, here's the links for the two very short videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=584Kcig89N0
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRiHPQHc7KI
                            vegascat
                            Destroyer of Ladders
                            Last edited by vegascat; 30-09-2016, 12:57 pm.

Comment

• I like the look of it this far. I've used dirt a few times but never mixed with glue and then applied, I do as I do with sand, put glue on the base and sprinkle dirt over it. From the looks of it, the dirt I use are coarser.
                              Blog- Twitter

Comment

• I have a tradition of trying to paint a Halloween/horror themed model for Halloween. This year I surprised myself by finishing this Reaper model, Skeletal Centurion. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, although I realized I should have gone up on the highlights on the cloak and helmet crest. I also probably should have edge highlighted the sword and shield. :P Amazing how much you notice after the fact, right? Not that you can tell because I added too many leaves, but I used real earth and roots in my basing for the first time and I *love* how they turned out. C&C welcome and wanted! Sorry in advance for the crappy pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X