Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra putty? What do you do with leftovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra putty? What do you do with leftovers?

Mmmm, leftovers.

I find myself mixing a little too much greenstuff, milliput or whatever your goop of choice may be and after I'm done with what I needed it for have a sometimes smallish, sometimes largeish, amount left over that I am then looking around for things to use it on.

I've used it to secure stuff on unfinished, or newly started bases, rolled it flat and draped it over straws to give it a few waves so maybe to use as a banner down the road.

I'm just looking for other ideas of what to use it for. flags, skulls, practice sculpting particular objects with the scraps leftover? Anything quick and dirty that you find useful later and glad you used it for something?

I was thinking of making a few basic GS press molds of some small decorative stuff I would get good use out of if I could just push extra GS into those when I'm done with whatever I was working on to have and add to the bits box once it cured. Just been stuck wondering what to make press molds that is simple enough for a one part cast and would be handy to have.[/b]
    "I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."

I waste it and I hate it... Hopefully someone suggests something awesome. Maybe I'll start making molds or mushrooms or something.

Comment

Way back when Darklord said he practiced making pouches and stuff.

Me, I have a bunch of GW 25 and 20mm square and round bases. I just plop it on one of them and smooth it out. My number one use for GS is to build a little height on bases to mount some of the cooler models on. A lot of stuff like Avatars of War and such are awesome models, but in order for them to rank up properly they usually need a little height or something. I think.
      "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
      -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Hmmm...don't really use that much milliput/greenstuff, so I usually just toss the little bit left over. Maybe I should try doing something with it, even it's just for practice.
        To equate intelligence and wisdom with occupation is, at best, insulting.

Comment

If I have some half-made base lying around I usually put leftover putty on that base to bulk things out, or sculpt rocks or fill out gaps or something. It is actually not a bad idea to have a few bases in construction all the time. As soon as you've finished a mini that only requires some standard type of base you can just pick one of the half-done and finish it up for that mini.
          Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.

Comment

Sometimes I waste it, but often I do some small stuff I can use for bases (rocks, mushrooms and the like) or just make a pressmold of a bit I have lying around thinking it may come in handy sometime ... to be honest though those pressmolds rarely get used and the basing bits often get thrown away when I clean my table every now and then :roll:
            sigpic
            darklined.com

Comment

I've done a number of things with the extra putty, most of which I haven't used...rocks, mushrooms, very flat pieces for loose parchment, textured floor, snakes (which I may cut cross wise into coins someday). I have thought about making a press mold, but have never gotten around to it.

Comment

I eat it
                http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...um/banner2.gif

Comment

I add to the unicron horn stockpile - just make a sausage shape and twist - its deeply satisfying and you can never have to many unicorn horns!!
                  Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

There's an echo in here....

Umm, I usually waste it. Have taken to fixing it to things like needles or cocktail sticks to make them into "tools" with putty handles!
                    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
                    Originally posted by TheProdigalGamer
                    You people scare me

Comment

Making a needle too is a good idea! Although I usually make scale bin bags.

Like these: http://combatzonechronicles.net/cozox/putty.htm
                      Communications Officer, Azalean Models
                      ----
                      Making people feel better about their own lead mountains since 2006!
                      ----
                      "Metal is cheap and very hard, and I can't get the hand drill to go any deeper." - Boris

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper
                        Making a needle too is a good idea! Although I usually make scale bin bags.

Like these: http://combatzonechronicles.net/cozox/putty.htm
                        That's pretty cool. I'll definitely have to give that a try.
                        To equate intelligence and wisdom with occupation is, at best, insulting.

Comment

yeah me to!

Comment

I roll it and hang it so I'll have it the next time I want to make coins (see my article on Making Money: http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/30).

TS
                            Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Check out my website at www.talespinnerminis.com.

Comment

Nice :) I shall have to give coin making a go!
                              Communications Officer, Azalean Models
                              ----
                              Making people feel better about their own lead mountains since 2006!
                              ----
                              "Metal is cheap and very hard, and I can't get the hand drill to go any deeper." - Boris

Comment

Working...
                              X