Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKoK Commissar

http://www.coolminiornot.com/289939

I'll reserve posting my thoughts on this just yet as I'd like to get some of the brutal stuff from you guys first. 'Cept, I liked the idea of some Turquoise on this mini. Dunno why.
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Thats very nice, a corking job on one of my favourite minis.... I have 4 -- 3 unpainted and one ruined....

Robin
    http://www.tbforum.co.uk

Comment

Hi Scott,

I like the little spash of colour too, to my mind it works very well. I like the leather jacket, nice tones and the high lights and shadows look to br at the perfect levels. Overall a really good job.

If i was to look for improvements I would say work on the sword blade as it needs more, it looks like a table top quality job on a display model. Other than that I'm not sure what the disk in the base is meant to be but it's not really a problem.

How do you see it?

Comment

Don't .. touch .. it ..
        "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
        Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

Really nice job man. This is more the standard I think of your work. That leather coat is really good. Not sure I'm digging these HA bases though. The detailing on the vest is really well done, nice work that.

Comment

Wow! Lovely...

I would be prone not to touch it. But as you are looking for suggestions:
            • Agree with megazord_man - the sword is not up to the standard of the rest of the figure (though I would say it is still above table standard)
            • Not sure about the back of the coat - under the breathing mechanism it has a lighter/redder appearance - not sure what that is. If it is wear, I think similar tones would show up elsewhere such as near his buttock, elbows, coat edge, etc. If it is more pristine color of the coat (protected by the breathing mechanism) would that tone appear in other protected areas? Don't get me wrong, the fig is fantastic, but I am bothered in that I do not know what that coloration represents. It matches the cuffs and lapels - why? From the front these look to be colored differently intentionally, matching a patch on the back says no. What was your thinking? Or is it my monitor?
            • Perhaps some signs of distress on the cuffs
            In the "if you had it to do over again" category, I'd have broken one of the blocks in two on the base - the crack would add a little more visual interest.

These are all 99th percentile quibbles though.

Comment

I like it, how did you get the leather effect it looks spot on.

My only small quibble is the base as it perhaps needs a little something else industrial to tie in with the spinny blade thing.

The coat and mask though are great and I like the turquoise it says 'senior' in a world full of people in brown.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRadom View Post
                I liked the idea of some Turquoise on this mini. Dunno why.
                Because I do it all the time and my mini's are pure Canadian Awesome!

I like it mate, only point for me is the outside of the jacket just looks a little flat to me.

I do have a further grumble but its not directed at this mini per sae

I want to see you do something different. Your stuff all tends to be post apocalyptic stuff using the same limited palette. As nice as they are mate I want to see you doing something different. Something fantasy or brightly coloured. Your sitting in your comfort zone too much mate. Your painting has developed so well over the few years I have known you, mainly because you pushed yourself so much. Kind of feels like your taking the easy route right now and that ain't you. Take it head on and wrestle that moose (is that a Canadian saying? Should be!)
                I'm not taking anything away from the work you are doing mate its a pleasure to see every-time but show us something new.

Love ya bud!
                Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
                  Because I do it all the time and my mini's are pure Canadian Awesome!

I like it mate, only point for me is the outside of the jacket just looks a little flat to me.

I do have a further grumble but its not directed at this mini per sae

I want to see you do something different. Your stuff all tends to be post apocalyptic stuff using the same limited palette. As nice as they are mate I want to see you doing something different. Something fantasy or brightly coloured. Your sitting in your comfort zone too much mate. Your painting has developed so well over the few years I have known you, mainly because you pushed yourself so much. Kind of feels like your taking the easy route right now and that ain't you. Take it head on and wrestle that moose (is that a Canadian saying? Should be!)
                  I'm not taking anything away from the work you are doing mate its a pleasure to see every-time but show us something new.

Love ya bud!
                  Since we seem to be sharing the love at the moment I would even go as far to post Scott an ork, grot or something else random for him to paint. Just need a pm with an address
                  :-D

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I got ton's of mini's. I'll try to wrestle something bright and cheery after my red box is done. It's a good point! Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Cloak looks nice and has a real effect but I think the highlights on the power sword could be pushed a bit more.

The base on the other hand I think lets this down, to me it looks plain and plasticy!!
                      "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

That's a very nice work on one of my favorite minis. :)
                        BUT you asked for some brutal stuff, so here are my suggestions:
                        I miss a focus point on the mini. The facemask and/or the eagle emblem on the hat would be a good start. You can achieve a focus point with brighter and/or more satturated colors so this places "pop out".
                        An other point would be to bring out the details of the miniatures a bit more. For example the holster is very dark with nearly no refelction points. A bit more contrast (darker shadows/brighter highlights) would have been great.

So, enough bashing. ;) It's nevertheless a very good paintjob!

Comment

Appreciate the comments folks! Thanks very much for the pointers

Comment

Lovely job - already been said, but sword is weakest part, but not a killer point. No keen on the base, but that purely personal. One of the best I've seen from you
                            Oooh. That's a BINGO!
                            This is grapeshot. This is what it does.

Comment

Working...
                            X