XUR's Lair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XUR's Lair

Was about time I created my own general topic !

So, since you asked, let's start with that Cthulian beast I did for one of my friend's birthday.
    This gift was a real brainteaser : [recent friend Coralie + likes rap + likes football + fond of boardgames but I didn't know which ones she already had - has never seen any Alien movie] ... ?!?
    Then I was told : [+ likes HPL & Cthulhu] ... and knew I was saved !

I only had 1 day 1/2 to build this little project.
    I had in mind that hulking worm bursting from Rasputin's belly at the end of the first Hellboy movie ... in fact, that may well have been the Cthuliest being I ever saw in a film ! Such a pity we didn't have our "Mountains of Madness" eventually ...

I was in a rush to sculpt that one, so I did a crude skeleton, superglued my Fimo to the metal wire, used bits of cork inside the structure to have enough putty (that was my last pack of Dolphin grey Fimo).
    Baked some tentacles, superglued them to the main body ... realized I had to put the whole thing in the oven one more time, so I unglued them (for fear the heat would make their shapes collapse entirely).
    Didn't have time to ensure the model as a whole worked well under all angles, so it is a bit of a mess from its right side.
    Used white spirit to soften the forms, didn't wait for it to evaporate before baking the damn thing ...fortunately, of no consequence.
    (in fact, these explanations sound like a by-the-book perfect example of "what not to do" -XD-)

SDC14410.jpg

Took me about 4 hours to get this result.
    Superglued a skull at the last minute, as a scale indicator.

Since I am fortunate enough to have an airbrush, I spent only 1h20 on PJ.

SDC14433.jpg

Added Prince August Shiny Black on the tip of tentacles, slight touches of Slaanesh Grey & PA Emerald in the recesses ...

and ...dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnnnn!!! (to paraphrase Lucy :)

Cthul.jpg

Hope she was happy with it ...
    Would have made a decent boss for a game of Mansions of Madness.
    Will have to be less slapdash if I make another with this intent.
    Last edited by XUR; 14-07-2012, 12:09 am.

Beautiful! A horror that a human mind could not handle for sure!
    xoxo
    http://daughteroftheemperor.blogspot.com/

CMON Gallery
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Sister_Lucy

WAMP Gallery
    http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/users/Sister_Lucy

Comment

Maddenningly Wonderful!!! By the eldar gods, I wish I had one! A lucky and happy friend indeed! Methinks I need to watch Hellboy 2 again while I paint tonight.
      Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Comment

Great stuff man!
        "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
        -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Thanks, friends :)
          More to come :

Test Compo.jpg

(though I can't say when ... )

Comment

From the tiny pictures on my screen there looks to be excellent wrong there throughout. Have we seen some of them already?

Reagarding the tentacled beast, great work and something I wouldn't have thought possible in the time you put into it :) I love the shiny black effect at the ends of tenticals or antenna. They did the same effect on Newark in the Mauser range. What range of paints does Prince August shiny black come from?

Comment

> [...] there looks to be excellent wrong there throughout.

Let me guess ... your autocorrector again ?

>Have we seen some of them already?

Yes, lots of them are in my gallery (eventually, I will post comments alongside additional views here)
              XUR's Pics :
              http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/in...gallery_id=112
              Others remain to be seen ...

>[...] great work and something I wouldn't have thought possible in the time you put into it :)

Many thanks :)
              To be honest, that I completed this (+birthday party) in time is a miracle

>I love the shiney black effect at the ends of tenticals or antenna. They did the same effect on Newark in the Mauser range. What range of paints does Prince August shiny black come from?

There are many ways to achieve this effect (the one on Newark seems even more shiny !)
              The reference I used was :
              Noir Brillant P861 / FS17038 / RAL 9005
              (according to their charts).
              Last edited by XUR; 14-07-2012, 07:01 am.

Comment

D'oh, yep - autocorrection fail. I really must start reading what I've written before submitting it.

Change the word wrong to work - excellent work there throughout.

Cool, thanks for the reference and let me check out your gallery...

Comment

Thats a winner
                  Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I have no idea how I missed all that lovely work of yours Xur. Tarrask and Dr zeels tick all the right places for me. Beautiful work sir.

Comment

Wonderful piece XUR, captures the Cthulhu horror/madness nicely.

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
                      Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Comment

Wow, the Cthulhu horror is superb and done in such a short time. Every time I experiment with sculpting it takes me that long to get the clay stuck tot he armature. You, my friend are just too damn good!

Comment

> A lucky and happy friend indeed!

Eventually, I'm not so sure it was that appropriate ...

>Methinks I need to watch Hellboy 2 again while I paint tonight.

HB1 is really cool, but "The Golden Army" is a true masterpiece.
                          Every minute, a new & incredible design shows up on screen ... so many actual props ...
                          That's it ... goodbye Mr Burton, Guillermo is now for me the man to follow when it comes to visual creativity !!

>Tarrask and Dr zeels tick all the right places for me. Beautiful work sir.

A pity the SMOG range now seems complete, for that's quite some time since they last sent me a concept.
                          As for Maelstrom, we do lots of things at the moment, and are both quite happy with this collaboration :)
                          Also, as hinted before, I'm starting to work for StudioMcVey on the Sedition Wars project.
                          Last edited by XUR; 07-08-2012, 03:18 pm.

Comment

Wow, that beastie is fantastic (& under 5 hours from start to finish! )

Not sure I agree with about HBII mind (although the creatures were good), just a shame that HBIII look unlikely to happen
                            Oooh. That's a BINGO!
                            This is grapeshot. This is what it does.

Comment

WIP of a new horror : a razorclaw Aberration (had that one in mind for quite some time now).

I've always wanted to see if Centurus claws would work well on a creature of this type.
                              Also, I found out how to sculpt neat alien tails during the course of my last 2 professional projects ... I was eager to try it on a personal mini :)

Comment

Working...
                              X