"Skrapyard" from Precinct Omega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Skrapyard" from Precinct Omega

I'm delighted to reveal to all WAMPers that I've this morning received the first two resin masters of the Skrapyard miniatures range.

Those following my blog here will recognize them immediately, from the greens I posted last year. I will be handing these (well, not these, but similar ones, unassembled) over to the casters next week, all being well, and will have the first metal casts ready for sale the following week!

I will be painting these two, just as soon as I can. But the metals should be up for sale, if the casting goes to plan, by the end of January and you'll be able to buy them from me in person at Hammerhead in Feburary.

However, you, the WAMPers, can help me, because I've not yet set the price point for these models. So let me know: what would you consider to be a fair price to pay for one of these? All comments and suggestions will be taken into account.

Feel free, also, to let me know what you think of the sculpts. I'm not averse to criticism of myself or my sculptor. There are aspects with which I'm very pleased and aspects with which I'm not so happy and which I'll be addressing over the next few months, but do share your thoughts and observations here.

R.

free
    Peace James
    https://www.facebook.com/exilespainting/
    https://www.instagram.com/exilespainting/

Comment

Nice try.

R.

Comment

I like the faerie quite a bit.
        The captain of swords looks quite small in comparison in the photo - is he the same height as the other one?
        Also, is it a he or a she - the model is very slender and I can't make out the face details.

Will be looking at these with interest at Hammerhead!

Are they going to be resin or metal?
        If resin I would have thought they'd do very well between 6 - 9. It makes them more affordable as gaming/RPG character pieces which is a bigger market than just painters - who usually pay more for a figure.
        "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
        I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Comment

I presume these are full 28mm scale?

legs look like pins to be honest and I can see a lot of these getting broken or (bending if in metal) very easily.

Who was the sculptor?
          Last edited by War Griffon; 15-01-2011, 05:15 pm.
          "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

Originally posted by War Griffon View Post
            I presume these are full 28mm scale?

legs look like pins to be hones and I can see a lot of these getting broken or (bending if in metal) very easily.
            I believe they are 40mm as per the blog post.
            http://noddwyr.wordpress.com/

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
            Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Comment

The Captain of Swords is female. There will be a male version in due course.

All Skrapyard miniatures will be 40mm scale, as these are.

They will be cast in white metal.

R.

Comment

I think they're very thin and fine for metal casting. I hope it goes well.
                I look forward to seeing them.
                "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
                I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Comment

I really like the Emissary it has style and presence, 40mm is an interesting scale. I'd prefer resin to metal, but it depends on the market I guess.

Price wise its a bit up in the air for me as price isn't the biggest factor for me in making a mini purchase..Steve B made some good comments on his blog about price points and it can be determined whether your models are going to be primarily bought by gamers as they appear to prefer models to be a bit cheaper. I'd have a look round at Studio McVey etc though most of the boutique casters are working in resin.

Comment

I don't really consider myself to be a boutique manufacturer.

Indeed, the main reason I decided on white metal was because I wanted the miniatures to be as accessible as possibl, whilst I feel that resin has a bit of an "elite" reputation.

How they cast up, we'll see next week!

R.

Comment

Price is an odd one, as a gamer I've paid between 3-8 for a metal 40mm miniature. I would look at Spartan Games they produce 40mm Ancient Greek Mythos minis at 40mm scale.
                      http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
                      http://irregular-magazine.com
                      http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
                      http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Comment

Originally posted by precinctomega View Post
                        I don't really consider myself to be a boutique manufacturer.

Indeed, the main reason I decided on white metal was because I wanted the miniatures to be as accessible as possibl, whilst I feel that resin has a bit of an "elite" reputation.

How they cast up, we'll see next week!

R.
                        I don't understand this. If you want them to be accessible, isn't 40mm a bit of an odd route to go? I'd like to see these in resin. Of all the mini's I've seen the resin ones seem to hold detail much better. I like the look of the fairy emmisary. It looks like an alien "grey" in fancy dress, which I think is neat. I'll pick one of those up when available.
                        "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                        -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Well, that's a good question.

First, let me say that by "accessible", I meant in the sense that the material is both traditional and robust, so that anyone already in the miniatures wargaming hobby should not be put off by a material that carries a need for additional skills and which commonly carries an air of being for a hobby elite.

It is also more accessible in the sense that I can with equal ease produce a casting run of 100 or 1000, which I cannot in resin.

As for the choice of 40mm, this was born out of a number of considerations. First was the desire to confer some degree of novelty to the range: an observer seeing these miniatures won't see them as models they can add to an existing game force but as something specifically designed for a new game, which they are.

Second was my experience with the 54mm skirmish game, Inquisitor, which illustrates how the relationship between player and miniature changes as the scale increases. As Skrapyard is a skirmish game with a strong narrative element, I wanted to encourage the sense that each model is an individual. I decided that 54mm was too large and technically-complex a scale to work with, but after looking at a number of different scales (35mm, 38mm, 40mm, 45mm and 50mm), I decided that 40mm was the way ahead. It is large enough to convey that sense of character, but small enough to be technically doable and remain within financial reach of most players.

Also, games will require players to own anywhere from 6 to 12 models, and I just can't put that many minis out, yet. So it had to be a scale in which a decent number of suitable minis were already available.

Another consideration was for miniature painters. This is related to the question of character, but mini painters like models with a sense of personality and drama, even bathos. Given that I could afford only a very competent rather than a brilliant sculptor, 40mm gave him more leeway in that respect.

Finally, anyone who looks at the long-term mainstream of war gaming miniatures will know that, over the last 20 years, it's moved from 20mm to 25mm, to 28mm to 28mm Heroic, to 30mm and now the convention is closer to 32mm. I just decided to cut a march and jump straight to the logical next step.

R.

Comment

Here are my thoughts on this. Firstly, If I like a mini I'll buy it regardless of what it's made from. As to your choice of scale I think your're spot on 40mm will eventaully be the norm for war gaming and I think the two painting disciplines, TT and display will get closer together. This is something I look forward to.
                            One thing does puzzle me is why you have choosen to reveal them now. Your rules are out soon (I think) and you should by now have a couple more mini's in the pipeline. personally I would have waited for a rules booklet and four mini's to promote as these would have a bigger impact on the market rather than just two mini's.

ooo, sounds critical, which it's not supposed to be I'd just like to hear your thought on the matter

Comment

Its interesting to find out how these things come about, though having worked with it I don't think resin needs additional skills or is for an elite..after all some of the biggest and most expensive 'elite' models in the hobby overall are made in metal by people like Pegaso and Andrea. I confess I prefer resin overall as its just easier to clean, assemble and its lighter. I think the resistance to resin is a wargames thing.

Not to criticise your choice and the casting runs are probably cheaper in metal so your price point for a large number of models can be a bit lower which is sensible if people expect to pay under 5 (which I find really cheap personally).

Comment

Working...
                              X