A look at the 80's and very early 90's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look at the 80's and very early 90's

For my 5000th post I thought I would have a think back to when I first started painting, which happened to be a long way back in the past or so it feels.

I actually started in the very early 70's with the plastic 1/35th and HO/OO Airfix figures painting the smaller stuff like belts with a pin because my pocket money and the lack of hobby shops at the time meant I could only get the sort of brushes that came with children's water colours (well I was a child at the time...).

I later moved on to better brushes and the Tamiya tanks and figures as well as model aircraft.

Then cam 1981 when a Royal Marine decided half of us were going to be involved with his role playing game onboard ship. This lead to the discovery and the downward trail of my addiction, the game he introduced me to was AD&D and I played this through to around the mid 80's .

The first figure I painted was a Paladin Character for the game we started with. Nothing special in the way of paint jobs.

I was always interested in the figures more than the games even though I did wargame for a short while, the first fantasy rules I owned were the paper slips that Citadel put in the boxes at the time and I still have my copy of the first edition of WHFB and later editions/rules upgrades as well as Rogue Trader as well as various historical periods. Over the years the amount of metal and later resin and plastic has continued to grow as was shown in the lead mountain thread http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...ountain/page10

I stopped playing in 1993 moving away from the group/area I used to game with but kept on painting until about 98. I then had a break for a few years until about 2003 when I got back into the hobby again.

So for my 5000th post I thought I would tell this little tale and show some of the very early things I painted, far to many figures to take photos of but here are a few and for the more up to date stuff, well they can be found in my galleries here on WAMP http://www.wamp-forum.com/photopost/...r-griffon.html and on Coolmini http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/War%20Griffon

So there you have my 5000th post here on WAMP
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

And for a change, a story about a Marine offering to to show you his little man, that didn't end in tears! :D

Grats on the posts, Martyn! :) I recognise all the early GW stuff, and the old Pump Wagon is still one of my favourites.

Comment

Very nice, WG :) Thanks for sharaing and congratualtions on your 5000th post! :)
      Communications Officer, Azalean Models
      ----
      Making people feel better about their own lead mountains since 2006!
      ----
      "Metal is cheap and very hard, and I can't get the hand drill to go any deeper." - Boris

Comment

Congratulations on the 5000th post!

Those are better than my first paint jobs, although I never did the airfix figures or kits as my dad would take them from me and paint them himself...git.
        The eyes!, the EYES!!

...tapping fingers impatiently...

Comment

Congratulations on reaching 5K.

Some of those figures bring back memories and I've got similar lead in my "unpainted" box. My first paintbrush was a toothpick and I still use them some today
          sigpic

Current WIPs: 134 Undead (Mantic) + 46 Elves (Mantic) **the last plastic minis I plan to ever do**
          Next WIP: Infinity Bakunin

Comment

Congrats on the 5k. Some cool minis in there.
            http://noddwyr.wordpress.com/

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
            Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice 5k WG! Some real classics on show there.

Comment

Big congrats on the 5K mate. Very well done and it's great to see some of your early stuff. :hail:

Comment

Congrats on your posting, that's about an average of 10 posts/day if you joined in nov 2009: Forum addict spotted!!!
                    I love those old minis, even had a few. I had forgotten about the undead boltthrower, do not have a clue where it's now...
                    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Willett's Workshop View Post
                      Congrats on your posting, that's about an average of 10 posts/day if you joined in nov 2009: Forum addict spotted!!!
                      I love those old minis, even had a few. I had forgotten about the undead boltthrower, do not have a clue where it's now...
                      Actually its about 12 posts a day according to the stats, I really should get out more especially when you consider I joined Wamp when it was on EBay Groups but never posted until April/May of this year...

As for the Undead war machine it is the catapult/skull chucker not the bolt thrower
                      "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Comment

I've still got that Skull chucker! Wonderful model, full of character - no mean feat when you're talking about skeletons :p

I think the first 'proper' citadel mini I picked up was around 1981/82 - it was a hydra. The disappointment in my young face when I found out I couldn't just use blu-tack to fit the sodding heads into the body was almost as much as realising that the Star Wars vehicles didn't come with all the figures they pictured on the boxes!

However, after that bitter disappointment, I soon found figures which didn't require sticking together and all was rather well :)
                        JOEK MINIS
                        CMON GALLERY

Comment

Holy cow - you've posted 5000 times this year? You should get a hobby or something :grin
                          Congrats on the milestone.
                          "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
                          I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Comment

You mean this one Joe?

I am surprised that all the heads have remained in place over the years given it was a right SOB to put together.

Comment

That mini has bad memories for me. Spent my pocket money on it and didn't have any superglue. My dad suggested soldering it together, he did one head at it was perfect. then said he was off out and trusted me to do the rest. I melted all the rest of the heads I was only 11 or 12 at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X