X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darklord
    replied
    Originally posted by Claooeia View Post
    The slip of quality from some companies has in part been allowed because as hobbyists we have grown up with needing to prep the mini.
    I actually think theres less prep these days. The casting quality is usually much better than the old 80's stuff in terms of smoothness of the sculpt etc.

But some companies now the QA is poor

Leave a comment:

• Claooeia
    replied
    Who can tell a few words what is this article about. I wanted to read it, but for some reason I cannot open the link. I am from https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/florida/ and there should not be location restrictions. Or I will appreciate if someone can make a print screen of that material and send to me. That will be the best variant to access and read it myself.
    Last edited by Claooeia; 18-07-2021, 06:33 am.

Leave a comment:

• DalinFasdah
    replied
    To be honest, it is not worth it, as mentioned above, the quality is average!

Leave a comment:

• Darklord
    replied
    To draw a line under this I would say its a case of being aware of what you buy and where and that there are a lot of dodgy sellers and recasters out there.
    Whether this company is or not is not for me to say but I have no reason to doubt Steve and the information is there should people choose to look at it.

Now back to the original topic......

Leave a comment:

• Flashcad
    replied
    Originally posted by Forte Nocturnus View Post

I have a screenshot for if even needed. I run a group on Facebook for bust painting and it was flagged up to me by the owner of the original bust/company who sells it. You won't find it on their site because they shouldn't be casting it or selling it in the first place.
    Not interested mate. Screenshots mean nothing. Even I can alter them if I ever felt like it.
    In addition, absolutely anything on Facebook is inevitably open to being used for personal agendas and/or virtue-signaling, which is the main reason why I deleted my own FB account years ago.
    IMO if there is indeed some dispute, then it ought to remain an issue between the individual companies involved and should be resolved between themselves privately.
    Having said that, it's curious that I've never seen any slightest sign of this allegation against Chronos Miniatures on other painting and modelling websites. Perhaps I missed it.
    Fact is, Chronos Miniatures have an excellent range of reasonably priced, and well cast, historical and fantasy figures -- that's what interests me -- and that was the subject of my original post.
    This is my last comment on the matter.

Leave a comment:

• Forte Nocturnus
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashcad View Post

Thank you for the response.
    I can only see one bust on their website, but as I'm not interested in these I've no idea if it is another company's sculpt, or not.
    Okay I'll leave it at that.
    I have a screenshot for if even needed. I run a group on Facebook for bust painting and it was flagged up to me by the owner of the original bust/company who sells it. You won't find it on their site because they shouldn't be casting it or selling it in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Flashcad
    replied

A bust from a different company cast up with their logo.
    Thank you for the response.
    I can only see one bust on their website, but as I'm not interested in these I've no idea if it is another company's sculpt, or not.
    Okay I'll leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• Forte Nocturnus
    replied

That's news to me. I seem to remember they did a Napoleonic woman and child kit that was based on some painting and had to withdraw it from the market, but that's the only issue I've ever heard of.
    Would you care to expand on your post?
    A bust from a different company cast up with their logo.

Leave a comment:

• Flashcad
    replied

There are some questionable things I've found out with Chronos Miniatures and the way they operate unfortunately.
    That's news to me. I seem to remember they did a Napoleonic woman and child kit that was based on some painting and had to withdraw it from the market, but that's the only issue I've ever heard of.
    Would you care to expand on your post?

Leave a comment:

• Forte Nocturnus
    replied
    I try to avoid white metal kit figures these days as I find resin to be a much easier material to work with, (usually). In addition, ever since I got involved in this hobby the vast majority of my kits have been ordered from two main dealers in the UK who's service has been second to none. But due to ever increasing hassle with importing the shipping boxes, which has become even worse because of the ongoing worldwide virus situation, I've had to place a temporary halt on imports from the UK and USA. However, for the past year or so I've been ordering kit figures direct from manufacturers in Russia and found their products, whether white metal or resin, to be far superior castings and also a sight cheaper, than what's been on offer from western companies for years now, (I'm looking at you Andrea Miniatures). Not only that, but the shipping boxes seem to attract a lot less unwelcome attention from the local Customs office as well.

I would highly recommend taking a look through the Chronos Miniatures catalog. The owner is helpful, easy to deal with and charges a flat rate shipping fee of only US$12 per shipping box.
    http://chronos-miniatures.com/index....id=104&lang=en

For expats in the same position as myself with problems importing from western dealers, Soga Miniatures is a good option and they cover most of the usual kit figure manufacturers, plus some lesser known names. The Russian manufacturers are well worth taking the time to explore on their website.
    http://soga-miniatures.ru.com/

Hope this helps and provides a few options outwith the mainstream names we all know and, umm, love...

Cheers the Noo
    H
    There are some questionable things I've found out with Chronos Miniatures and the way they operate unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Flashcad
    replied
    I try to avoid white metal kit figures these days as I find resin to be a much easier material to work with, (usually). In addition, ever since I got involved in this hobby the vast majority of my kits have been ordered from two main dealers in the UK who's service has been second to none. But due to ever increasing hassle with importing the shipping boxes, which has become even worse because of the ongoing worldwide virus situation, I've had to place a temporary halt on imports from the UK and USA. However, for the past year or so I've been ordering kit figures direct from manufacturers in Russia and found their products, whether white metal or resin, to be far superior castings and also a sight cheaper, than what's been on offer from western companies for years now, (I'm looking at you Andrea Miniatures). Not only that, but the shipping boxes seem to attract a lot less unwelcome attention from the local Customs office as well.

I would highly recommend taking a look through the Chronos Miniatures catalog. The owner is helpful, easy to deal with and charges a flat rate shipping fee of only US$12 per shipping box.
    http://chronos-miniatures.com/index....id=104&lang=en

For expats in the same position as myself with problems importing from western dealers, Soga Miniatures is a good option and they cover most of the usual kit figure manufacturers, plus some lesser known names. The Russian manufacturers are well worth taking the time to explore on their website.
    http://soga-miniatures.ru.com/

Hope this helps and provides a few options outwith the mainstream names we all know and, umm, love...

Cheers the Noo
    H

Leave a comment:

• Darklord
    replied
    Originally posted by aku.chan View Post

Urgh, finecast... All those danged little triangles that had to be cut out.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons (The other being my own natural clumsiness) that I try to avoid working on resin, just had too many bad experiences with too many companies.
    Oh for me resin beats metal and plastic any day except for durability! problem is resin is usually the material entry level products come in as its easy enough to start out with so you get all the bad apples!

Leave a comment:

• aku.chan
    replied
    Originally posted by Darklord View Post
    I don't miss fine cast
    Urgh, finecast... All those danged little triangles that had to be cut out.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons (The other being my own natural clumsiness) that I try to avoid working on resin, just had too many bad experiences with too many companies.

Leave a comment:

• Darklord
    replied

They still do their resin cast though after failcast I won't even attempt it.
    when I was doing comissions and that came out I had to charge extra to customers to cover the additional prep time

Leave a comment:

• Forte Nocturnus
    replied
    Originally posted by Darklord View Post
    I don't miss fine cast
    They still do their resin cast though after failcast I won't even attempt it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X