Is it worth the price? An article by GreyMountain Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth the price? An article by GreyMountain Reviews

Usually we publish reviews over on the GMR blog but Normski didn't feel he could review his latest kit so wrote this article instead.

Is it worth the price?

What are your thoughts on this?

hes got a point has Normski I think companies need to take pride in their product. Miniatures are getting better and better in terms of sculpting but the price reflects that and you can easily spend £50 or more on one.

The slip of quality from some companies has in part been allowed because as hobbyists we have grown up with needing to prep the mini. To clear the flashing, sort mould lines etc prior to priming so we kind of expect them to be there and so the severity of them often go largly unoticed andcertainly unchallenged.

Gamezone do some fantastic sculpts (or did, its been a while!) but they were renowned for terrible casts. I once painted up one of their mounted Vampire Lords andthe gap on the horses belly was massive, im taking quarter of an inch at least. Took an age to prep but while I muttered under my breath about it I didnt even consider sending it back or anything and yet if I bought mouldy Bread from Tescos or a new Sideboard that was scratched I would be straight onto them demanding they replaced it.
    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Knight Models and Raging Heroes are two I don't touch after bad experiences. And that's coming from someone who put in 6 hours fulling, cleaning, and resculpting parts of a figure before.

Comment

Knight Models not doing so well on quality control of late
        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
          They've never been good on the quality, I was just too suckered into the licenced properties to see it properly myself until it was too late.

I agree on Raging Heroes as well. So far painted 1 mini of 100 from their Toughest Girls 2 KS.

GRX were definitely heading down that road with my last few experiences with them, but I've not bought anything that I know for certain was cast by them in the last 18 months+.
          The Chilling Network - home of #nonstopwargaming :)

Comment

Originally posted by Brambleten View Post

They've never been good on the quality, I was just too suckered into the licenced properties to see it properly myself until it was too late.

I agree on Raging Heroes as well. So far painted 1 mini of 100 from their Toughest Girls 2 KS.

GRX were definitely heading down that road with my last few experiences with them, but I've not bought anything that I know for certain was cast by them in the last 18 months+.

And that's part of the difficulty. Because each mini is different it's often bought purely on the grounds of aesthetics. You want that sculpt you have to buy from that company.
            Don't like a certain washing machine company you can find an almost identical one from a rival but with minis your stuck
            Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

They never have.

Comment

I reached a point a few years ago where I decided I wasn't putting up with that stuff anymore. Nothing dramatic I just don't use companies I've had bad experiences with again no matter what they release. Looking at you Forgeworld.

I hate the cleaning up part of the hobby if I'm honest so it's probably a particular bugbear of mine..

Comment

Originally posted by ArkMechanicus View Post
                  I hate the cleaning up part of the hobby if I'm honest so it's probably a particular bugbear of mine..
                  Might sound odd but I actually like cleaning minis...to a point. Usually more just to aim to get the highest quality finish I can or change bits I maybe aren't too keen on. Having to resculpt areas is seriously annoying though and part of why I don't do FW, GW resin, Raging Heroes, or Knight. After cleaning some Siocast bases I'm really not wanting to work on that material.

Comment

I don't miss fine cast
                    Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I don't miss fine cast
                      They still do their resin cast though after failcast I won't even attempt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Forte Nocturnus View Post

They still do their resin cast though after failcast I won't even attempt it.
                        when I was doing comissions and that came out I had to charge extra to customers to cover the additional prep time
                        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I don't miss fine cast
                          Urgh, finecast... All those danged little triangles that had to be cut out.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons (The other being my own natural clumsiness) that I try to avoid working on resin, just had too many bad experiences with too many companies.

Comment

Originally posted by aku.chan View Post

Urgh, finecast... All those danged little triangles that had to be cut out.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons (The other being my own natural clumsiness) that I try to avoid working on resin, just had too many bad experiences with too many companies.
                            Oh for me resin beats metal and plastic any day except for durability! problem is resin is usually the material entry level products come in as its easy enough to start out with so you get all the bad apples!
                            Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I try to avoid white metal kit figures these days as I find resin to be a much easier material to work with, (usually). In addition, ever since I got involved in this hobby the vast majority of my kits have been ordered from two main dealers in the UK who's service has been second to none. But due to ever increasing hassle with importing the shipping boxes, which has become even worse because of the ongoing worldwide virus situation, I've had to place a temporary halt on imports from the UK and USA. However, for the past year or so I've been ordering kit figures direct from manufacturers in Russia and found their products, whether white metal or resin, to be far superior castings and also a sight cheaper, than what's been on offer from western companies for years now, (I'm looking at you Andrea Miniatures). Not only that, but the shipping boxes seem to attract a lot less unwelcome attention from the local Customs office as well.

I would highly recommend taking a look through the Chronos Miniatures catalog. The owner is helpful, easy to deal with and charges a flat rate shipping fee of only US$12 per shipping box.
                              http://chronos-miniatures.com/index....id=104&lang=en

For expats in the same position as myself with problems importing from western dealers, Soga Miniatures is a good option and they cover most of the usual kit figure manufacturers, plus some lesser known names. The Russian manufacturers are well worth taking the time to explore on their website.
                              http://soga-miniatures.ru.com/

Hope this helps and provides a few options outwith the mainstream names we all know and, umm, love...

Cheers the Noo
                              H

Comment

Working...
                              X