Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has The Pandemic changed your approach to the hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has The Pandemic changed your approach to the hobby?

The covid pandemic has had a huge effect on us all this last 12 months and with Games Workshop seeing a huge surge in sales it seems Wargaming is having a real boon at the moment.
    So have you found it affecting your hobby in either a positive or negative way?
    Shop at the Wampstore

well...
    kinda have (or had during the lockdown) more time so spent more time doing various projects (very few finished though :D )
    but in my local club we started an initiative where we encouraged people to write small hobby articles as they do their projects.
    We kinda noticed that everyone is already taking WIP pics so we just asked them to write a couple of sentences as well.
    In 9 months in 2020 (since March) we produced a grand total of 77 articles - which we subsequently turned into a book of articles...
    if you care to take a look - most of the articles have english versions too:
    http://www.ums-agram.hr/eng/articles...orials_in_2020

The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

thats awesome Marko
      Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Being that my kids are home all the time...it kind of killed my hobby motivation.

Comment

• Darklord
          Darklord commented
          Editing a comment
          I can relate to that. had to work at home one day. Trying to compete with 3 kids and a a teacher wife all schooling on the internet at once!

It's certainly been an interesting time. I've been working from home all the way through since last March, and my hobby motivation definitely took a big dent. I got it back in fits and spurts - painting close to 40 Necrons last August for an Indomitus box challenge but then other months went by with barely one or two minis being painted.

Being part of a wargaming community both helped and hindered - as part of the Chilling Network, there has been a lot of us all in a similar boat being able to chat away on the Chilling Wargamers discord. That's the help bit - always having someone to bounce things off.

The hinder bit feels petty, but its just the way I feel. With everyone that got furloughed, there was suddenly an influx of people with time on their hands, and so the already substantial bank of hobby content on twitch and YouTube and other social media went into overdrive, which was a little overwhelming. Wherever you turned on the hobby internet there was someone finishing a project on a livestream at 2 in the afternoon which was just disheartening when you're still doing your day job and not finishing until after finishing time as nobody is there to tell you to go home already.

That overwhelming feeling and the kicking down of the hobby mojo did definitely feed in a little bitterness, which is the bit that feels petty.

Sure I would have loved the extra time to hobby instead of working and studying for exams after work. But then, I also still have my job and routine, which a lot of people lost so I have to weigh up the pros and cons and accept that even though the hobby end took a beating, I could have been a lot worse off than I am.
        The Chilling Network - home of #nonstopwargaming :)

Comment

I know what you mean Alex. When the first lockdown loomed I compiled a to do list of things I would sort if I couldnt work. Things for Wamp that have been waiting months or even years to get done. Thankfully I managed to keep working (which being self employed was important!) but a part of me was dissapointed I couldnt get on with the to-do list or even try something the kids call miniature painting (whatever that is?)

Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

work in food retail and swapped to nights to handle restock with the panic buying just before first lockdown. Was meant to be for few weeks but social distance rules mean most the stocks gotta be done outside open hours so i'm still on them 11 months later. It's killed any energy i have for doing just about anything with my down time and like Brambleten the wave of posts from others kinda killed what mojo i had too.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkreaper View Post
              work in food retail and swapped to nights to handle restock with the panic buying just before first lockdown. Was meant to be for few weeks but social distance rules mean most the stocks gotta be done outside open hours so i'm still on them 11 months later. It's killed any energy i have for doing just about anything with my down time and like Brambleten the wave of posts from others kinda killed what mojo i had too.
              i think everyone has mental lethergy now and adding in night shifts will make it even worse for you no doubt
              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I've kept painting quite a lot, but in the absence of conventions, I find my focus has drifted toward doing miniatures for gaming.

Even the online competitions I've really just entered something I painted for some board game or another.
                Garden Ninja Studios

Comment

Working...
                X