Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Print" miniatures? New $500 3D printer - too cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Print" miniatures? New $500 3D printer - too cool!

This is just too cool!
    Former MakerBot exec launches Solidoodle sub-$500 3D printer

MamaGeekMinis.com
    "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." -St. Francis

And I was just about to diss it for being a too low resolution when I found this -

Precision:
    • The resolution of the printed part is determined by the height of each layer
    • Typically we print at a layer height of .3mm, which gives nice surface finish and quick print time
    • It's possible to print hi-resolution parts at a layer height of .1mm, which gives top-notch looking prints

.1 mm will still need the surface smoothing if you're thinking of making minis with it, but for less than $500 that's a bargain I guess. :) It would be ok for large scale stuff and scenery bits etc mebbe?

Happy days ahead! Though these are to the model industry what the internet is to movies/music. This is gonna kill so many companies eventually...
    Last edited by Orki; 27-04-2012, 03:13 am.

Comment

we need one that print at 0.05mm layer tickness for mini ..:( but that Makerbot i can use it to make tanks kits :D

Comment

That's the sort of thing I was thinking too. Though given the cost of the plastic (as well as the resolution) it'll still only be viable to make masters, and then smooth them, before casting the rest up.

Comment

I don't know much about the technical side, but from what you guys are saying, sounds like this is probably a very low end one that's meant as a budget tool. Until the days when medium-high quality can be attained with these things for WELL below $500, it won't make much of an impact for personal use. It's neat, but still too expensive for the average consumer at the moment.

Comment

Someone I know 'in the know', reckons at least 10 years 'til it revolutionises our little world of little men in the domestic market. He says that before that happens, the next jump the industry will be when they replace the injection moulding process with these things at a commercial/manufacturing level, thereby eliminating tooling costs.

Comment

here how i can use it i can print out a blank model with the pose done and pre cut the model with keying slot in it then i just assemble it then start green stuffing it up that going to save me some time :D

Comment

Originally posted by Orki View Post
                the next jump the industry will be when they replace the injection moulding process with these things at a commercial/manufacturing level, thereby eliminating tooling costs.
                ...And the ironic thing - those saving will go right into the pockets of the manufacturers, rather than being passed along to the consumer. I could see a few smaller shops passing the savings along in hopes of gaining new customers with affordable pricing, but the established brands like GW and PP won't go out of their way to lower their price if they don't have to. That's how it works in most businesses, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thetang22 View Post
                  I don't know much about the technical side, but from what you guys are saying, sounds like this is probably a very low end one that's meant as a budget tool. Until the days when medium-high quality can be attained with these things for WELL below $500, it won't make much of an impact for personal use. It's neat, but still too expensive for the average consumer at the moment.
                  Last time I checked you could get one that did anything you wanted ( and easily fit somewhere in your home) for 10,000 dollars. I can easily see this becoming affordable in the timeframe Orki mentioned.
                  The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
                  Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
                  My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
                  Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

3D printing is already being used for making personalized (if freakin' expensive!) mods of existing models. On the PP forums (which I can't access from work, oddly enough) there is/was a guy who had a 3D print of an existing model that he modified and had printed for himself only. He even admits that if it wasn't for someone who works at the 3D printing company that printed it owing him a favor, he most likely wouldn't have been able to afford it.

I also recall seeing a camera last year(?) that essentially could make 3D-printable graphic files of anything it took pictures of. I think the example they showed was a video of a guy taking multiple shots of a flower and then 3D printing it minutes later. It was really cool IMHO.
                    Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Comment

Originally posted by thetang22 View Post
                      ...And the ironic thing - those saving will go right into the pockets of the manufacturers, rather than being passed along to the consumer. I could see a few smaller shops passing the savings along in hopes of gaining new customers with affordable pricing, but the established brands like GW and PP won't go out of their way to lower their price if they don't have to. That's how it works in most businesses, anyway.
                      True dat.

The execs and shareholders will grab as much as they can before the inevitable collapse of their market once it becomes domestic.

Comment

I've discussed this with some other sculptors who are afraid that 3D printing and computer modeling will put them out of business. However, it is still and will likely be for a long time faster to sculpt in RL than to model in a computer. With the advancements in 3D scaning, sculptors should be able to sculpt a model, scan it, and offer the art up for sale to the end customer who can then print it. Personally, as a sculptor I'm excited by this as I could use this technology to make manakins and armatures, print it, and then finish the details by hand.

Someday, probably in the next 20 years, this technology will be cheap enough and good enough that most people will have a High-Res version of these at their house. One could then just download the mini files and print what one needs. Sculptors/artists will be able to supply you directly. I'd also imagine that game stores will have these printers and charge a basic rate for priting minis. The people who may really be hurt by this technology are the mini companies, unless they really look at this and find a way to adapt their business to the changing times.

Eventually, this will even evolve to color 3D printing, but I doubt that will make painting obsolete either, but who knows...
                        Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Check out my website at www.talespinnerminis.com.

Comment

Originally posted by vegascat View Post
                          3D printing is already being used for making personalized (if freakin' expensive!) mods of existing models. On the PP forums (which I can't access from work, oddly enough) there is/was a guy who had a 3D print of an existing model that he modified and had printed for himself only. He even admits that if it wasn't for someone who works at the 3D printing company that printed it owing him a favor, he most likely wouldn't have been able to afford it.

I also recall seeing a camera last year(?) that essentially could make 3D-printable graphic files of anything it took pictures of. I think the example they showed was a video of a guy taking multiple shots of a flower and then 3D printing it minutes later. It was really cool IMHO.
                          Actually there are companies that will 3d print something for you at an affordable price. This comes to mind: (I don't condone stealing IP's btw, this is just an example) http://www.shapeways.com/shops/dynath?l=36 or just shapeways.
                          The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
                          Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
                          My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
                          Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

Originally posted by TaleSpinner View Post
                            With the advancements in 3D scaning, sculptors should be able to sculpt a model, scan it, and offer the art up for sale to the end customer who can then print it.
                            But once that "file/map" gets on the web it will be stolen, thus taking $ away from teh sculptor.

Comment

I think its too cool. It will lead to an awful lot crap being produced but no one forces anyone to buy it so the introduction of this to the mass market over time has to be a positive. I think it is more likely to lead to even more diversity and small companies rather than running over the hobby like a truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X