"Pro-Painted" on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pro-Painted" on Ebay

So I was looking at the PFP threads and it got me investigating how much a decently painted squad or single mini go for on Ebay.

I was alarmed at how many extremely poor painters are advertising their wares as "Pro-Painted"! Seriously! Unbelievable. Thankfully a lot of them upload pictures which show how poor they are, but some of these people are so delusional that they can't see the difference between their work and, say, Orki's standard. It's like watching X-Factor where you have some poor sap get up and murder a song, completely tone-deaf, and then when Simon Cowell or whoever rips into them they vow "You haven't seen the last of me, I'll be famous by next year!"

All I can say is... wow. :horro:

Surely there must be some regulation about false advertising?

Aye. It's a nonsense expression really because if you're selling models you have painted I guess strictly speaking you are a pro-painter, but it's hardly an accurate description of the hapless daubing we sometimes see under the label.
    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
    Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

They have been doing that for YEARS and I don't think there is anything anyone can do about it except laugh their asses off at all the 'awesome' pro paint jobs.
      xoxo
      http://daughteroftheemperor.blogspot.com/

CMON Gallery
      http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Sister_Lucy

WAMP Gallery
      http://www.wamp-forum.com/gallery/users/Sister_Lucy

Comment

You may as well add "OOP" or "VERY RARE!!!11!!!!!" to your item description for all the notice anyone takes of it any more. Folks stopped doing that and started adding "well painted" or "master painted" but the quality remains as dubious as ever. All it does is make it harder to sift out the real gems from the dross.
        "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
        "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
        "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
        "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
        "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
        "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

Unfortunately it's one of the biggest search terms as far as I know. I would guess that there are some well known painters like DarkLord who can get away with it though.
          The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
          Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
          My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
          Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Comment

Ah nice to see things never change. we discussed this multiple times on CMON over the years. I have only ever successfully sold one "pro painted" mini on ebay. That was an Archaon from GW just after they came out. Got a really good price for him too.

Comment

Course, I guess the other side of the coin is that what I consider a well painted mini probably isn't the same as the next collector. We have been discussing an eBay 'well painted' Roman force on the Warlord site and I was about to mock its sloppy quality when another poster said he'd be very happy to one day achieve that level. It was a timely lesson in humility and I guess a bit of respect for another person's appreciation.
              "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me, it's a full time job."
              Lt. Bromhead to Prince Dabulamanzi before the Battle of Rorke's Drift.

Comment

Yeah, I know it bothers some folks, but It hasn 't ever really bothered me.

By definition, if you do something for money, you are a pro. I know that there is more implied there, but on Ebay (as everywhere) Caveat Emptor.
                Main Blog

superheroes Blog

Comment

Have just seen a nice Kharn the Betrayer on there for 85, now that's what I'm talking about! Still not as nice as a lot I've seen, but at least the work is neat and the paints have obviously been thinned properly, not straight out of the pot like some of these others I've seen.

Comment

I think 'pro-painted' description is a bit of running joke on most forums - not sure why anyone would use it really.

Originally posted by Undave View Post
                    "OOP"
                    I always add that if the figure is out of production
                    Oooh. That's a BINGO!
                    This is grapeshot. This is what it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Vern View Post
                      I always add that if the figure is out of production
                      Yeah but people have started adding it if the box has had a re-print or worse, when GW has stopped stocking them in the stores and have them on mail order only. Then there are those who stick it on any old model without actually bothering to check whether it's still in production.

It's like "pro-painted," some pieces are good quality but there are so many that aren't that it devalues the term.
                      "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
                      "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
                      "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
                      "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
                      "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
                      "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

Comment

Ah, gotcha - yeah, that annoys me too
                        Oooh. That's a BINGO!
                        This is grapeshot. This is what it does.

Comment

Yeah but I see like RARE!!!!111!!one!!! Out of PRINT111!!!!11!!!oneone!one! Flintloque figure

And you know, it's right there at Alternative Armies' website and I'm just like... meh. Course ebay doesn't do much for me these days. I think the last good buy I got was on The Prisoner novels. I haven't had a compulsive collector disorder flare up in a few years.

Comment

As already mentioned I think people use it as its a popular search term, as you can see it before you buy it you can exercise quality control on the search results.

Rare always amuses me as does the habit of putting models as by other manufacturers to try and get more money for it. Still its worth dragging through the dross for the good things..just got an original boxed Confrontation dwarf chariot for a tiny sum..as well as buyers beware, sellers should think about their titles

Comment

I hate the 'pro painted' tag to me I think it instantly buts a lot of serious buyers off. I always show 800px wide pics in my listing so people can see exactly what it is.
                              People use it purely to sell more but its not as searched for these days as people think.
                              Looking on ebay pulse the current top search times for the wargames and roleplaying category are:
                              no mention of 'pro painted'

If you look at the search terms for 'Warhammer' category you get:
                              Still no mention but you do get 'painted' showing up. So little point in using it!!

I have over the years built up a group of buyers that tend to but 75% off my stuff or at least bid on it so are obviously happy with my work, thats more important in regards of protecting my reputation than trying to bag a few quid extre - false economy really. BUT some stuff we may regard as poor may look awesome to someone new to the hobby or doesnt see the top end stuff that we are all so used to
                              Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Working...
                              X