NOVA Open and the Crystal Palette - Labor Day Weekend, 29 Aug - 1 Sep 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOVA Open and the Crystal Palette - Labor Day Weekend, 29 Aug - 1 Sep 2013

The NOVA Open is a gaming convention held in Washington, D.C., featuring a variety of tabletop miniature games, a Magic tournament, around two dozen hobby seminars, loads of vendors, and the Capital Palette painting contest. For the Capital Palette's Best of Show winner, Cool Mini or Not awards airfare to Chicago for the 2014 Crystal Brush!

Think of NOVA Open as essentially the East Coast prelude to Adepticon, but with all the city amenities and famous, historical sites of Washington, D.C., only a couple of subway hops away.

The award trophies for the Capital Palette are, in my opinion, one of the most attractive trophies in the hobby. Heavy, inscribed glass in the shape of the Washington Monument, they're practical for display and transport, as well as beautiful, tasteful trophies to adorn your shelf.

In addition to trophies, Grex USA will award category winners with a Grex airbrush! And on top of that, Secret Weapon will throw in some sweet hobby goodness as well!

Besides myself and local painter, Bob Likins, 3 more judges are on the panel this year, including Justin McCoy of Secret Weapon Miniatures as Head Judge, supported by Caleb Wissenback and Alex Akers, all three of whom have earned some assortment of Golden Demons, Crystal Brushes, etc.

Check out the categories, schedule of events, and other details about the Capital Palette on the NOVA Open web-site.
    Last edited by Shades; 25-06-2013, 01:56 am.
    Blog: Mini Mayhem - The Blog!

Thanks for the reminder, I'm really looking forward to checking out this show and entering a few figures. Since this will be my first year going, I had a few questions about the show. The multi-day figure judging system is interesting, with a cut each day on who's still in the running and who isn't. Do you think there's an optimal day to enter figures? I mean, you can get by with waiting until Sunday but entering them Friday or Saturday will give the judges more time to look over them and (hopefully) appreciate what you've done. I wonder if that influences the judging at all.

I'm planning to enter figures in a couple categories. Any tips on what to bring and what to leave at home? I'm familiar with NCMSS judging and similar shows, but not the more gaming centered shows like Games Day, Reapercon, etc. Do some figures seem to do better (or worse) at the NOVA Open? I might shuffle around my to-paint list so I can have some different projects done in time.

I was also taking a look at some of the classes/demonstrations. I'm very tempted to sit in on the Airbrushing Demo and the Pigments hands-on ones. Do you have any info on these courses? I see both are run by Justin McCoy from Secret Weapon. Any idea how big these the courses are or how quickly they fill up?

Just curious to hear some of your thoughts.
    sigpic Me on Putty&Paint
    powellminipainting.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by dpowell View Post
      I was also taking a look at some of the classes/demonstrations. I'm very tempted to sit in on the Airbrushing Demo and the Pigments hands-on ones. Do you have any info on these courses? I see both are run by Justin McCoy from Secret Weapon. Any idea how big these the courses are or how quickly they fill up?
      Classes? Holy crap! I'm extremely curious to know as well. Also, to attend the painting classes, do you have to pay for general entry to NOVA Open as well? Thanks!
      Miniatures painted in 2015: 21

I've Been Wagged! http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...844#post158844

Comment

Shades should be able to say for sure, but I'd guess the answer is yes. However instead of a weekend badge you can get a one day pass if you're just looking to attend a few classes. If you do just want to do one day, a lot of the classes are repeated on multiple days so you've got some flexibility in your scheduling. Check the registration page http://www.novaopen.com/?page_id=2995 for more info. You can also click on the class names to find out more about each one.
        sigpic Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

Thanks! Time to save my pennies then. I initially hadn't planned on going to the NOVA Open at all to save cash for attending TempleCon in February. I wish I'd known there were painting classes earlier as I'm always eager to learn and improve (hopefully) my admittedly not-so-great painting skills. While I'm wishing, I wish the Blending class was going to be held more than once.
          Last edited by vegascat; 24-06-2013, 02:54 pm.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, I'm really looking forward to checking out this show and entering a few figures.
            Yay! Glad you decided to participate, David. Your work will definitely bring a touch of class to the field.

Do you think there's an optimal day to enter figures? I mean, you can get by with waiting until Sunday but entering them Friday or Saturday will give the judges more time to look over them and (hopefully) appreciate what you've done. I wonder if that influences the judging at all.
            I suspect it will vary from judge to judge. Ideally, I hope to see the showcases and display tables full of entries for as long as possible, over all 3 days. However, I can understand the rationale to enter only on Sunday, if that's the only day a person is going to attend the convention. However, NOVA Open has a lot to offer, and I think someone who is participating solely in the art competition has plenty of options to keep himself/herself entertained and occupied for 2 or 3 days, between the seminars, the vendors, cruising around looking at army paintjobs, and just plain socializing.

As far as my own judging goes, I plan to be fair, regardless of how long a piece has been on display. I don't think making a big splash on the last day earns any extra points, at least not in my book.

I'm planning to enter figures in a couple categories. Any tips on what to bring and what to leave at home? I'm familiar with NCMSS judging and similar shows, but not the more gaming centered shows like Games Day, Reapercon, etc. Do some figures seem to do better (or worse) at the NOVA Open? I might shuffle around my to-paint list so I can have some different projects done in time.
            Again, I expect it probably depends on the judge, which is one reason we have a multi-judge panel! Any biases should iron themselves out. We saw this averaging in action during our test-runs of the system at local game tournaments. By the way, we've had very positive response regarding the system.

Speaking for myself, again, I believe I can be fair to both gamers and display painters, since I consider myself to fall somewhere between the two camps. I've managed to enter gaming figures in display-oriented contests and hold my own, so I know from personal experience that gaming figures can compete alongside display figures. It's really going to boil down to the quality of the paintjob, according to both the objective and subjective criteria.

I'm very tempted to sit in on the Airbrushing Demo and the Pigments hands-on ones. Do you have any info on these courses? I see both are run by Justin McCoy from Secret Weapon. Any idea how big these the courses are or how quickly they fill up?
            I took Justin's Pigments course at Adepticon. It was very well done. A good mix of hands-on, "lecture", and over-the-shoulder observation. And Justin can be fairly entertaining, to boot. The course I attended had somewhere between a dozen and twenty people.

I'm not sure if or how the site informs you of remaining seats in a class. I'll provide that feedback to the organizers.

Shades should be able to say for sure, but I'd guess the answer is yes. However instead of a weekend badge you can get a one day pass if you're just looking to attend a few classes. If you do just want to do one day, a lot of the classes are repeated on multiple days so you've got some flexibility in your scheduling. Check the registration page http://www.novaopen.com/?page_id=2995 for more info. You can also click on the class names to find out more about each one.
            What David said! Thanks, dude.
            Last edited by Shades; 25-06-2013, 01:54 am.

Comment

Thought I'd give a little post show update.

NOVA Open was this past weekend. This was my first time attending and the show definitely lived up to expectations. We had some real nice entries to the painting competition. I'd seen a few of the pieces posted on galleries in the various forums, so it was a treat to see them in person. There were some nicely done conversions and a few of the newer forge world kits showed up too. Overall a really nice mix of entries across the 9 different categories.

I sat in on two of the seminars, airbrushing and weathering with pigments, both by Justin McCoy of Secret Weapon Miniatures. I thoroughly enjoyed them and wish I'd taken more. A few friends took the Masterclass Painting seminar and it sounded like that was also very good. There were plenty more as well.

Overall it was a great show. I'm looking forward to going back next year and anyone within traveling distance should consider checking it out.
              sigpic Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

David, wish I could have attended. Assuming there's no government furlough next year, I'm planning on attending.

Comment

sounds good guys, any pics?
                  Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Hopefully Shades can post some or a link to NOVA's gallery once they set it up. I know they were taking a lot of pictures of the figures along with the rest of the events at the show.
                    sigpic Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

David, thank you so much for the kind testimonial. You are most gracious, as always.

What David is too humble to say, folks, is that he won Best of Show!

His hockey player model, "Irbe", won Gold for Historical Large (to be renamed next year, Historical/Modern, just to be clearer!), and it won Best in Show, earning David a trip to compete in the Crystal Brush at Adepticon 2014.

David placed strongly in other categories as well, as did fellow WAMPers Yellamoon and MamaGeek. As a matter of fact, Yellamoon swept four Golds!

We'll be posting results soon, I expect. It's a little out of my hands at the moment, while the photographer and the lead NOVA Open organizer finalize the announcement with CMON. I'll pass along the link, as soon as I know it. For a small taste of some of the entries, feel free to check out my blog (link in the signature block below). I envisioned having the time to take photos of every model in the case, but my time was totally consumed by running the event and attending to emergencies.

The show was a tremendous success, in terms of quantity and quality of models. The average quality was easily on par with art competitions for any gaming convention, and it was in the same ballpark as many of the display model shows. MamaGeek is right, though, as she commented in her blog, that it's too bad that we didn't have more recognition for the broader field of entrants. I have ideas to remedy that for next year, which I will be proposing to the NOVA Open board.

I wish to thank all of the gamers and artists who participated! I feel that the diversity and quality of the entries were eye-opening and inspirational -- to show the broad reach of our hobby to a larger audience. This year was a great step forward, and I hope to build on its success to motivate folks to submit even more entries for next year!

Comment

yay! love wampers winning stuff. the hockey player is a stunning piece, if it was a fantasy piece is would be all over the net. glad it got recognition
                        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Thanks, Shades and Darklord. That's very kind of you to say.
                          sigpic Me on Putty&Paint

Comment

The official photos are up! Check out the galleries here.

Comment

Working...
                            X