• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladder discussion

the place for general ladder chat, smack talk, discussing results etc
    Shop at the Wampstore

Question....

How exactly is the gain/loss of points calculated on the ladder?
    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
    Originally posted by TheProdigalGamer
    You people scare me

Comment

its based on the ElO rating system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
      basically points are awarded based upon your opponents ranking - the higher their ranking compared to your the greater the points you recieve if you win ( likewise the lsee youl ose)
      So challenging a higher ranked player may increase the difficulty but also the reward. At the moment its a little unbalanced as everyone is new but it will settle down after a while.
      Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

I now know less than I ever did before.
        In fact, looking at that wiki page has made me more stupid, and if I ever look at it again I am likely to devolve enough that I start flinging poo and bashing myself over the head with a stick...
        You people scare me

Comment

yeah I pruposefully havent read it! just remember the higher the points of the person you beat the more points you win. Its just likt betting - rankings are like odds - the longer they are the more you win but the less likely that win is
          Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

It doesn't address who decides the statistical likelihood of someone winning from what little I read, but I'm guessing that you input the result into a program and some digital jiggery pokery gives you a number?
            You people scare me

Comment

OK, I have a headache now. Never direct an English guy to a math site.

So in a nutshell, we'll post our minis, everyone will vote, a winner will be declared, Darklord or Hinton will input the result into the Ladder part of the forum and the forum will spit out a set of points.

So if we lose do we lose points, or does one's point total only change via winning?

TS
              Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Check out my website at www.talespinnerminis.com.

Comment

I do believe that points are won and lost, hence the need to start with 1000 points rather than 0
                You people scare me

Comment

the actual score inputted is irrelevant that just logs the scores and decides the winner. what the program does is look at the points difference between the competitors ranking and based on that award points to the winnners ranking and deduct points from the losers. so eys rankings will go up or down.
                  Say for example in a few months someone joins the ladder - they start with 1000 points. They could challenge someone at the top with say 2,000 points or maybe someone at the bottom with 500 points. now the person at the bottom is going to be an easier match (usually) but you would win very few points. Whereas beating someone on 2000 points would gain you more points the match will be more difficult to win.
                  Its a bit strange at the moment as everyone is on 1000 points so youd get the same reward currently for beating Iacton or Brushmistress as you would wag (sorry Ian!) even though their ablilities are quite different.
                  So at the moment Iacton or Brushmistress are not very desirable matches, they are both great painters but gain you no more than beating Wag who currently is a good match while on the same points
                  Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Holy smokes guys!

1000 points is even. Par. When you compete against someone you will win or lose and the rating goes up or down some points. once some more ladder battles get resolved their should be a good mix of scores. what it means is that it has a built in system so if someone with a lower score - like 800 say, challenges someone with a score of 1300 and wins, their score jumps quite a bit. Probably around 110 points or so. But if the guy with 1300 poionts wins his score would probably only increase by about 20 points or so. It's got a built in system that rewards people for winning challneges deemed tougher ('cuz of their ladder ranking differences y'see) and rewards less people for pikcing on members with a lower score.

Chess has used it for years. Though I think they start at 2000 instead?
                    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
                    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

Sounds very similair to the WOW arena rankings I used to worry about.

It's pretty nifty and should make sense once everyone see's how it plays out.

Comment

yeah the systems used on a fair number of video games online
                        Shop at the Wampstore

Comment

Originally posted by Darklord View Post
                          Its a bit strange at the moment as everyone is on 1000 points so youd get the same reward currently for beating Iacton or Brushmistress as you would wag (sorry Ian!) even though their ablilities are quite different.
                          So at the moment Iacton or Brushmistress are not very desirable matches, they are both great painters but gain you no more than beating Wag who currently is a good match while on the same points
                          Your choice of examples is not exactly giving me a warm fuzzy here. :06:
                          Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Check out my website at www.talespinnerminis.com.

Comment

tell me about it !!

Comment

check out Scott the grand master..
                              Peace James
                              https://www.facebook.com/exilespainting/
                              https://www.instagram.com/exilespainting/

Comment

Working...
                              X