No announcement yet.

New Challenge anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOh crud, now I have to figure out how to do it all official like. Give me a day or two to get that done. We won't lose any time, since the deadline is already decided.

10 to 12 hours is your standard per-miniature budget, isn't it? How are you supposed to push yourself into new territory? The challenge is simply costing you 5 times as much work! I suggest you give yourself some relief and cut the budget in half. Just a suggestion, of course. Do whatever is fun for you, ultimately.
    Last edited by Shades; 30-01-2013, 02:39 am.
    Blog: Mini Mayhem - The Blog!

Comment

My usual budget is 20hrs or so. I say budget like I worry about the time spent and I really typically don't. Last time I "clocked" myself was when I was trying to figure out how horribly I was paying myself for commission work and eBay. I take a lot more notes and stuff as I paint now and I sorta loosely jot down how long I spent painting most sessions.

I would like to be able to get a decent 28mm figure I enjoy looking at and had fun painting done in around 6 hrs or so as you say, and this project should help me figure out how to get there.

So what I am gonna try and do in this challenge is find some workable time saver solutions should I ever want to start rolling dice again and need to focus on armies. I've got a full DZC Post Human army staring at me. Flames of War has really been calling my name as well.

-I am still going to paint this crew as one off mini's but I know for sure I am going to do a base colour over the whole mini with the airbrush. A dark brown base colour will be put on right after the primer. Likely Burnt umber or maybe darker. I think this will save a ton of time.

-Likely I will be sticking to colours I have a tried and true history with and I can do on autopilot. A few touches here and there for interests sake and to keep things fun but creative colour choices will not be my goal. Lots of my usuals, dark green, dark brown, dark red, dark and then some dark!

-Basing will be very quick and easy. I'm doing a deserty sand base that I'll use mostly pigment washes to do. I've been screwing around with these and I think they look good and take even less time then typical painting.

-I've painted most of these mini's before. So it's almost a bit of a cheat I think.

-When in doubt, box art it out! Often I waste a lot of time while painting a mini trying to figure out what colours I should paint the details. I usually have a pretty specific idea of what I want the major area's like skin, bulk of the outfit, and that kind of stuff to look like but I waste time on crap like the backpacks, weapon sheaths etc. There is a lot of that **** on all RBG mini's btw. GODDAMN TRE! For this project as soon as I sit there thinking about what colour I am gonna use if nothing pops out I'll just reference the painting on the game cards. Simples.

So my idea Shades is to use as much time as I can in simply working on the technical brush slinging stuff and not much thinking over the next five mini's. Sure there is a punchline in there somewhere.

I plan on enjoying it for sure and it's likely I'll have to work on something else during all this but I will get it all done. Thanks for the challenge! Should be a good time.
      "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
      -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Comment

That's the spirit! Fun stuff. I think what I'll do is track my time as I go along. I have two hours on Ramos so far, plus I guess a half-hour experimenting with the texture on his bag.

I'm with you on the color choices. I'm going predominantly with studio colors, but I'll mix it up here and there. I have something adventurous in mind for the Steamborg Executioner, though. And I want to experiment with pigments more on the bases. I'm undecided whether to paint NMM or TMM for the Steampunk Arachnids. It looks like the studio job is NMM. I like the different-colored, glowing eyes on them, and that might work better using NMM, I don't know. I agonize over color choices and this kind of stuff, just like you. I guess i'm still giving myself 20% or 25% agonization.

I expect to spend about 4 to 8 hours per miniature, but who knows how it will pan out. I'll post progress on my blog, and I'll probably copy the posts onto my WAMP WIP thread, in case there are speed-painting tips that you might find useful.

Comment

Holy crap, dude, you didn't tell me you were #2 on the frikkin' Ladder!

Geesh.

Well, I guess I'm going after the big fish. Playing with the big dogs. Jumping in the deep end. Bringing the sack.

Comment

The challenge between Shades and I is in the voting stages. SO win lose or draw it's over. Anybody feel like locking brushes for a new challenge? I'm open to about anything for theme.

Comment

I'm the worst ladder-member in the history, but if you don't mind the long challenge time to tie this with the Dark Sword contest, I could perhaps finish something and not give you a free win...
              BTW, we already had a challenge that I did not finish, IIRC?
              Nameless Painter on FB (new)
              Chest of Colors Site and Painting Studio

Comment

Yeah we had an Eldar thingy in the go a while back. So I am in, what kind of theme encompasses your Dark Sword entry?

Comment

uhm, "Dark Sword Miniature" maybe? :D
                  I have two of their minis - ranger type and kneeling sorceress. I'd paint one of these, preferably a ranger. Any special theme coming to your mind to fit your plans?

Comment

Dark Sword mini's are beautifully sculpted but for some reason just don't do it for me. Couldn't explain why. Reading your blog I loved the idea you have of painting a mini from so many different companies. I Imagine this is your first Dark Sword mini? Maybe we can just forego the theme and agree to paint something from a company we've never painted before. I've got some stuff coming from Victoria Lamb that should be here any day now. Or maybe I can just paint the same type of character you pick. Either way I am good for the Dark Sword deadline as our deadline as well. Also I really enjoy your Blog! Good stuff there. Any further thoughts?

Comment

nah, painted two of their minis already. but I have two more I'd like to get off my hall of shame, hoped to use WAMP contest as a motivation. we could always go without a theme, I suppose.
                      thanks for nice words about the blog :)

Comment

I've been thinking about this today and I am just not feeling the Dark sword challenge. I'd like to postpone our duel until you're done your entry if you don't mind. I really like your quest to paint a mini from as many new companies as possible though, I think that's an awesome idea! If you're willing I'd like to wait and then see if we can't both pick a manufacturer we haven't painted something from together. I'm really keen on that idea. How does that sound?

Comment

sure thing, Scott. Do you want the same company for both of us or just any new company (say Victoria Lamb for you and something else for me)?

Comment

Same company! Doesn't have to be Victoria Lamb's stuff. In fact I'll probably gun through some of her stuff next week. Or whenever the mini's show up...

Comment

don't have VL's minis here. Will PM you with list of things I have at home, maybe we will find something for a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              X