Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help requested.....Triarch Preatorians

Help requested.....Triarch Preatorians

Well, it's been a long time since I have asked for help on a specific model on here, and honestly I should be doing it more often considering how much I need to improve.

I am having kind of a weird experience with these models: on one hand I am discovering painting techniques that I never thought I could pull off, namely feathering paint like you would with an airbrush, only I am using a paintbrush. I am also getting new and better ideas on how to work with colored metallic paint all the time, and finding my overall skill improving. That said, I am feeling like these models are not turning out as well as they should be considering how many hours I have put into them. So far I have 20 all told, from putting all five together (which I took the better part of 8 of those hours to do, and am happy I did so,) to painting this single model.

I would like to know what's good, whats bad, and tips on how to improve it. This is my first attempt at OSL btw.

If you want to see a bit of a progression to this stage you can check out this thread if interested:
    http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showth...175#post157175
    Jason's New 001.jpg
    Please let me know what you think, both good and bad. I know this is a ladder challenge but I want to get these models right as they are elites and some of my favorite models in the current necron range.
    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .
    Full Metal Dragon - A miniature/wargame/RPG/general entertainment business.
    My WIP Thread with a little bit of everything in it.
    Mini's painted in 2014: 0 / In progress - 5 (2 gaming mini's, 3 display mini's)

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    A simple answer would be you need brighter stronger highlights - it will push the contrast more and thats what you need on these I think
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Like DL said and also practice, practice, practice so the feather blends are smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    A simple answer would be you need brighter stronger highlights - it will push the contrast more and thats what you need on these I think
    Well, the green parts I am not sure I can go brighter than pure silver, unless I added some white, unless you are talking about the rest of the model?

Come to think of it, I might give it a shot on the rest of the colors anyway, would definitely improve it.

Anything you guys like about it? I'm beginning to wonder if this whole green metal thing is a bad way to go.
    The WAMP Wiki - A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community. Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here .

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries
    You have some contrast in hues (the orange/green mix), but since they are both desaturated and the mean value (light/dark) is about the same, it appears there's not much contrast at all, making it more difficult to make out the full form. I do like the green metal, but it could be pushed more. Since you're already so 'light' with the silver/white, you'll have to go darker, or make the highlights "sharper" (smaller area). Note the "sharper" you make the highlights, the shinier the metal will seem.

I'm not so sure on the red/blue for the head... it does attract attention (a good thing), but it doesn't seem to belong to the same model (bad thing).

For OSL, honestly I don't notice that. OSL seems to require a .lot. of contrast, and the light source should be the lightest/brightest thing on the model. Usually this means your shadows are going to end up close to black. Otherwise, just moving the colour over to surrounding objects looks more 'reflective' than 'lit'.
    "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
    Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I like the colour scheme but like KD said the head looks out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by kdlynch View Post
    You have some contrast in hues (the orange/green mix), but since they are both desaturated and the mean value (light/dark) is about the same, it appears there's not much contrast at all, making it more difficult to make out the full form. I do like the green metal, but it could be pushed more. Since you're already so 'light' with the silver/white, you'll have to go darker, or make the highlights "sharper" (smaller area). Note the "sharper" you make the highlights, the shinier the metal will seem.

I'm not so sure on the red/blue for the head... it does attract attention (a good thing), but it doesn't seem to belong to the same model (bad thing).

For OSL, honestly I don't notice that. OSL seems to require a .lot. of contrast, and the light source should be the lightest/brightest thing on the model. Usually this means your shadows are going to end up close to black. Otherwise, just moving the colour over to surrounding objects looks more 'reflective' than 'lit'.
    Considering the contrast for the OSL is going to be difficult to pull off on a mid-color, I wonder if it's more worth it to get rid of it, or change the color to a more yellowish color. Alternatively I could simply brighten the metal using silver in the OSL areas instead of coloring it.

The red head has me concerned as well, not sure what I am going to do about that. I thought about changing the red to a off-white to make it look more like a Ceramite Face Plate. Might still do that.

Triarch WIP3 006.jpg

Defitely still a WIP, but a marked improvement. The hard work on the face with the subtle de-saturating shading on the face isn't showing anywhere near as well on this, and neither is the OSL from the orb on the face piece.

Please tell me what you think of the improvements thus far, I also further highlighted the OSL on the weapon and thinned the highlights with a careful application of wash.

Not sure what to do with the rest of the weapon yet, have thought about going the normal NMM green like on the normal necron weapons.

If you want the weapon to remain metallic then try the green, if not, try the orange as that is a nice shade!
    Awards:
    Posting AwardTop DogSociable AwardMost ReputableFrequent Poster

Super Wamp
    The change in face colour helps to bring the mini together as a whole. I would really push the osl a little more, although as you say the pictures aren't helping this aspect. As for the metallics of his arms etc, I would try to get a little more colour in there, something other than green. You could try to juice in some of the orange yellow to try to get the shadows deeper and add more interest. I think it's been mentioned before a few carefully applied edge highlights would help too.

It's getting better a better, keep going and enjoy brining him to life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast