Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast

Thread: Shades' WIP - Hobby ADD

Blog Entries
    Sessions 10-15. 2 sessions apiece. Still more to do.

2. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,Demonn,vegascat
    I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    All looking great.

4. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Shades
    Nice work Shades lookin good

6. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Shades
    Wyrd bi ful ard

Wamp Guru
    awesome!
    The best thing my mates & I have done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG9MFQ6Tcs

Me on Putty&Paint

8. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Shades
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, guys!

As a man given to lists and improving the order of things, I'm curious as to how neatly you categorise the painting on these by session. What's the goal for each session - completing a particular colour or part of the figure?
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

Blog Entries
    The process is a weird combination of order and ad-libbing, which is pretty much how I like to operate in life in general. The 'order' part is a framework, where each session is usually one-and-a-half to two hours long. Another "rule" for the framework is that I want to finish at a point where I want to continue painting "just one more thing". If I leave it at that "one more thing", that unrequited next step drives me back to the table for the next session.

Within that framework, the goal(s) vary from session to session. It might be color-sketching; it might be bases; details; blends; metals; skin and faces; or it might be a combination of things. I usually work from two general directions at the same time: layers across the entire model and inside-to-out. Colors are worked in accordance with those more general guidelines. Sometimes they go hand-in-hand, just because a color set and particular task will both last for an entire session. For example, painting leathers, straps, and other browns.

How do you other folks go about it?

Blog Entries
    Sessions 16 thru 17.

I managed to squeeze in the mascot, Salt, and the game ball. It sure was fun researching otters for color patterns!

I need one more session for touch-ups. I'm pretty much at the end of my motivation for this project. But I want to try to show the judges that I can paint eyes. I think!

Last edited by Shades; 31-08-2015 at 02:37 AM.

13. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,vegascat
    Blog Entries
    Session 18. And I'm spent.

I decided not to do the eyes. It's the difference in motivation level between painting a squad to play games with, or painting an individual miniature. I'm very satisfied with the former. The latter is just beyond my motivation level. The cost is to fall short of really impressing the judges at the Capital Palette. But that's OK. As a gamer painter, there's only so much I'm willing to do. After all, Roman, Raffa, and Justin have seen the world's best. I'll be happy to help fill the cabinets with some cool-looking minis which can at least help give a good representation of the Mid-Atlantic region.

So 18 painting sessions, plus around 4 for prep. 22 x 110 minutes = 40 hours and 20 minutes. A full work week. Less than an 8-hour day per miniature, from scratch to finish. Sounds about right.
    Last edited by Shades; 31-08-2015 at 04:49 AM.

15. Loving your work These users all liked this awesome post:: Brambleten,NeatPete,vegascat,waghorn41
    I think the finished figures look the part and bases are beautiful, too - soft colours and clear blue water. Strong coherency through the team, while keeping each of them looking individual. Nicely done!

On the sessions point, until you'd mentioned it I hadn't rationalised how an evening of painting usually progresses, but it's pretty close to your own; laying down basecoats, or completing one or two specific areas of a figure.

So what's next on the impressive production line, your Butchers?
    Nerodine (blog, WIP thread)

17. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Shades