Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghoul

Chief Cabana

Ghoul

I've finally finished something after having had an extremely inproductive period since last summer. I bought this bust at the World Expo and I really wanted to do a good job on it, as it's one of the most expressive and masterful bust sculpts I've seen (at least in my opinion). Sculpted by the extraordinary Romain van den Bogaert and produced by JMD Miniatures.

I had very much fun painting this one. The blood was definitely fun and I like the way it came out. It looks a bit brighter in the photos than it actually is, but I can't be arsed to do anything about it. I used the new GW washes extensively on this one. Great product!

Here's a link to the CMON post if anyone feels like voting or commenting or sniping it: http://www.coolminiornot.com/220664

Hope you like it! Comments are always welcome.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.

OMG Ritual! Look at the veins under the skin! Please please please do an artical on how you do that!

Ok Liz. Calm down.

I'm not a fan of the bust but that's no fault of the sculpter. It's because I've had several traumatic events in my life and it reminds me of them. The sculpt is really good and your paintjob is fabulous. Having seen large quantities of blood IRL I think it's actually about right in the photos.. It's just Hollywood that dulls the color in order to make it more "visually acceptable". Anyway, well done!
    Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Chief Cabana
    Not sure I need to do an article about painting the veins. It's actually quite simple. I just painted fine lines with Leviathan Purple (from the new range of Citadel washes) during the final stages of highlighting the head. I then glazed over them with the colours I used on the skin. And did the final highlighting glazes. Using the wash to paint the lines ensures that you don't do them too pronounced.

Wamp Apostle
    Northampton, home of the shoe... apparently
    Blog Entries
    Good solid 9 that. Nicely done.
    Awards:
    Top Referrer
    "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer
    "I think they should all be topless, they're just more fun that way" - Vegascat
    "I once hit a guy in the face with a crap" - NeatPete
    "The doctor put me on a course of placebos," said the lady in the straw hat. "But I don't take them. I'm saving them all up for a mock suicide attempt."
    "Unleash a rancid potpourri of lunacy!" - Games Workshop Website.
    "I used to be Sheogorath but I took an arrow to the knee."

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    F'in Creepy man...
    Great, now I'll have nightmares!

Awesome job, very well done. I've been meaning to try out a bust, but haven't maned up yet. Seeing finished results like this aren't helping my courage either :P

Would you mind sharing how you did the eyes? They look awesome, almost pearly or a flashed metallic sheen. I'd love to hear how you did that.

Thanks, great job Anders.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful work there, Ritual. The skin tones are absolutely amazing and the blood is very well done. Think I might look into those washes myself.
    To equate intelligence and wisdom with occupation is, at best, insulting.

Wamp Member
    WOW! Hang on a sec, let me go pick up my jaw off the floor!
    Truly awesome work.

Chief Cabana
    Pete, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it.... but for some reason I can't remember exactly how I painted the eyes. I was severely hung over when I did them... But, basically it's something like this:

- Base coat with some grey colour (can't remember which)
    - Highlight with VMC Ivory or some very light grey (can't remember which)
    - Wash repeatedly with the red from the new range of GW washes
    - Make sure the eye is outlined neatly with VMC German Cam. Black Brown (or similar very dark brown)
    - Highlight with pure white
    - Wash again with the red
    - Wash with some mid tone grey
    - Re-apply white highlights focusing on the "glint spots"
    - Add some TCR around the edges of the eye
    - Glaze over the TCR with VMC Black Red
    - Apply gloss varnish

I'm not 100% sure about all these steps, but I think it's more or less correct.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :D

Blog Entries
    I really like the skin tones - will be looking again closely when I need to do some.
    "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
    I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Absolutely stunning, the blood fit in perfectly - really like Romain van den Bogaert 's work, but couldn't do it justice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast