Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aly_R Challenge for a year.

Aly_R Challenge for a year.

So a while back i read about a guy who took up a challenge to paint/sculpt a mini a week for a year and as my birthday approaches and i grow another year older I've decided to make a go at painting my lead,resin and plastic mountain i have sitting in my room over my next year. My challenge is to paint at least one model or unit a week. To actually make it a challenge though i am going to stick to Saturday night deadlines and work off a schedule at least 4 weeks in advance. This whole experience should hopefully improve my painting both in speed and quality. One of my concerns though is i have many models i am afraid to touch for the time being until i can make a sufficient job of them (Studio Mcvey L.Es, JoeKs strombringer/elf lord, games day models etc), so i will probably pick up a new model here and there until i'm happy enough to attempt them. This though wont fund itself so if you ever see a model that wont sell on E-bay (where i will put anything i dont have use for in my army) that you fancy drop me a pm and i'll give you it for the price of the model and postage, this will allow my project to tick over off its own accord. My initial plan is as follows:-

wk1: plastic orc war boss on foot (24/09/11)
    wk2: Reaper female wood elf mage
    wk3: steve buddles geeklord from heresy
    wk4: plastic orc war boss on boar
    wk5: Secret project for halloween painting challenge
    wk6: high elf prince serafin

It probably goes without saying i intend to post my progress, hopefully once a week. I'm also going to use the challenge towards my paint for profit thread as i have kinda ground to a halt.

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    cool idea - best of luck - should be fun to watch this progress
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Us- Southern Caifornia, where the weather cant make up its mind in the winter : /
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck, cant wait to see!

Enlightened Wamp warhammergrimace's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, my similar chanllenge fell apart due to a ton of stuff that happened this year, though I did make a dent in the pile whilst I was doing the challenge...
    Awards:
    Blog Award
    http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
    http://irregular-magazine.com
    http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
    http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Blog Entries
    yea, looking forward to what you come up with!

Ok so i've decide the best way to track progress would be to paint the same model at different points throughout. I decided seen as i accidentally "won" three of them on E-bay i'm going to go with the Mordheim elf model Aenur. One had been sitting half painted for a while but the thought of a challenge made me pull my finger out and finish him. So he will be a good start model to judge any improvements on, ill then paint one at the six month mark and then another a year down the line assuming i haven't snapped all my brushes and thrown the paints out the pram. I just threw him on a lipped display base i had sitting around as i don't know when ill get back around to photographing and posting pics. I cant tell how long he took me as its been over several months but i would guess somewhere around 7 hours. If i'm being honest there are several things i would touch up if i really cared but as it stands so i'm not varnishing him just but for the purposes of this hes done. Anyway here he is:-

Comments and criticism are more than welcome as that is kinda what this whole challenge about. I also forgot til i looked at the pics i had started dotting the eyes a while back so please ignore that...

Inspiring challenge! Stuff like this is fantastic to watch and makes me want to try something like it. Excited to see your progress throughout the year.

Plenty of people here to cheerlead for you, although beware, some of us are still a little too attached to wearing cheerleader uniforms to do it (looking at you ScottRadom :)
    "I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."

So managed to get this weeks entry finished a few days early. He's nothing spectacular, but is reasonably neat from a painting by numbers point of view. My three lessons I've learned from this week from this week have been:-
    1. games workshop browns are a bit ****.
    2. Halfords primer should really be used straight away as i primed this model ages ago and as i painted the model i kept rubbing paint off. I'm assuming its a combination of a build up of grime and greasy fingers.
    3. my metals need work.

here he is, only one pic i'm afraid the rest weren't even worth uploading as they were over-saturated.

Time to start week twos model...

Quote Originally Posted by aly_r View Post
    So managed to get this weeks entry finished a few days early. He's nothing spectacular, but is reasonably neat from a painting by numbers point of view. My three lessons I've learned from this week from this week have been:-
    1. games workshop browns are a bit ****.
    2. Halfords primer should really be used straight away as i primed this model ages ago and as i painted the model i kept rubbing paint off. I'm assuming its a combination of a build up of grime and greasy fingers.
    3. my metals need work.

here he is, only one pic i'm afraid the rest weren't even worth uploading as they were over-saturated.

Time to start week twos model...
    Suggested lesson: models you have not touched in a long time should be rinsed off under water and possibly scrubbed, and old primer should be re-activating by using a very watered down paint of similar color over the entire model, and letting dry.

Try that next time ;)

So got week 2 finished. Repainted bits of her her several times so what should have taken an hour or two took six in the end and i'm still not remotely happy but i'm kinda sick of the sight of her so i've got no real plans to do too much more on her/anymore. The base is just the cork i painted her on because the small round base i got with her looked daft.

photos don't do some bits justice and make others look better if i'm honest. Hopefully i'll get a better job done on next weeks model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast