Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering my friend

Remembering my friend

I found out recently that a friend of mine I served with in the Navy, passed away in the recent tornadoes in Alabama. I wanted to share a clip from a news article with you, he was a good friend and he taught me a lot about what it meant to be a good sailor.

Ronnie McGaha
    Ronnie McGaha moved to the Harvest area a couple of years ago after retiring from the U.S. Navy. He had served 20 years, joining after high school, said his brother Maurice McGaha.
    View full sizeRonnie McGaha
    The two were years apart in age - Ronnie was 42 and Maurice was 29 - but they grew close after Ronnie came back to Alabama. The boys grew up in Muscle Shoals, where their parents, Ronnie Sr. and Emma McGaha, and Maurice still live.
    "We talked about every day," Maurice said.
    Ronnie loved music and grew up singing and playing keyboards in church. He liked to cook, specializing in ribs, which he made for his mother's birthday on April 11.
    "That was the last time he was here" in Muscle Shoals, Maurice said.
    Ronnie and his wife, Lisa, had recently remodeled their two-story Colonial-style house on Wilbanks Lane to add a shop where Lisa could work as a hairdresser, Maurice said. The family was at the house when the storm barreled down on them.
    Ronnie, Lisa, their son, Aaron, 24, and teenage daughter, Denae, were huddled under the staircase, but Denae decided to go upstairs, Maurice said.
    Ronnie heard the tornado coming. He scrambled out from under the stairs and covered Denae as "the house exploded," Maurice said. The chimney fell on top of them. Ronnie died from internal injuries. Denae was bruised but not otherwise hurt.
    "He died saving his family," Maurice said.

Blog Entries
    My deepest sympathies to you and your friends family,Mercius.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. D. Adams.

'Taxation is just a sophisticated way of demanding money with menaces.' Vetinari

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry for your loss mate; from what I have seen on the news over here, the aftermath of a tornado is devastating and I feel for everyone effect by them.

I like to French Kiss Racoons
    Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear Mercius. I have a friend from high school currently missing.

Seems like mother Earth is getting much more upset these days. I wonder how long until most, if not all of us meet his same fate. Almost every week there is some sort of major natural destruction and I'm getting increasingly concerned.

sorry to hear such bad news ..........

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts are with you, and all those affected by the tornados
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Deepest sympathies, mercius. :(
    "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
    Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743

My sympathies, Mark. Also I hope your friend turns up safe and well, Pete.
    The eyes!, the EYES!!

...tapping fingers impatiently...

Very sorry to hear about your friend Mercius.

Also hope you have happier news about your friend Pete.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Small comfort but at least his family can remember him as the hero he was, which will help in time. The Harvest one was really bad tornado in a sea of extremely bad weather. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast