Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!

Thread: A funny from the FLGS

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries

A funny from the FLGS

I was at the local game store painting away on my infernal ambassador... that's one of the demon models for the hell dorado game.

After a few hours working on the red skin, trying to blend 7 colors (reds, blues, oranges, browns, etc) to get the right shading and highlighting, a friend comes up to see what I'm working on. Looks over my shoulder, and says in all seriousness, "That looks neat, Kelly. What color did you use... red with a black wash?"

Me and the game store owner who'd been peeking in from time to time over the several hours just had to laugh. Quite funny. The sad thing is... it is a subtle difference between all that layering, and a 3 minute red with black wash. lol

:)
    "what color did you use, red with a black wash?"
    Current size of lead mountain: 3619. Painted: 743

That had to be kind of a kick in the ribs to huh?

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries
    @NathanS: aye ... a bit demoralizing, but we did get a huge laugh out of it, so it was fully worth it. we miniature painters can't take ourselves too seriously, after all. :)

@Everyone Else: please feel free to tell us your favorite funny from your FLGS's and get-togethers. :D

I wish I could say there were funnies but usually they end in a wallowing fit of depression as I tend to only see the worst at the local shop. I bring my boys up once a month, ages seven and six. We play Flintloque with a few other guys who don't mind a 7 and 6 year old at the table who need help on the rules to some extent, but they both behave themselves, have a good time, and have dice luck like their father (all bad). Last month their was a Magic the Gathering tournament going on and a dad brought his three year old son up. I don't have room to talk, my kids are there but hey, I'm at the table playing with them. In this case the dad just let's his kid wander the store, rifle through the shelves, knock stuff over... The straw bent (did not break) when the kid was digging through the trash can and I and the other adult Flintloque player excused ourselves and gently shooed the tyke out of the trashcan and began making enquiries as to where the parent was... Who was too busy playing Magic to actually, I don't know, watch his fecking kid!!! I wish it were isolated but another dad brought his six year old as well who was alternately tearing around the store on a sugar high and desperately trying to drag my youngest into his mad race of destruction through the store. My son politely declined said, "I'm playing wargames with my dad." He fixed the boys with a silent stare as if that were enough and he was dismissed. That made my heart sort of swell honestly. Personally, I think the store owners should ban the deadbeat dads irregardless of how many Magic cards they might buy but hey, not my shop.

All I can say is that I'm proud that my boys share my hobby with me and enjoy spending that time with me. Be it at the shop or at home. I've probably not got long before I'm horribly uncool and the games are likewise uncool and they will be more concerned with pre-teen/teen/post teen things. I at least hope I'm generating enough good memories that when they resettle they come back to me and my game table.*

*Yeah, I know I've got them until they're at least thirteen, maybe fourteen, but time as a parent moves fast.

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    My Fav thing is going into the GW shops. I always get some spotty teenager asking me if I play the games and do I have an army. When I tell them I'm a painter not a gamer they tend to perk up and ask how long I've been painting. I always answer "Since before you were an itch in your Daddies pants now, *&^% off". Sarah, my better third, likes to watch the wargaming and periodically shout "WWAARRGGHH!" at them, that always makes me laugh.

I like to French Kiss Racoons

Wamp Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Oh man... parenting fail by that one dude. Glad you are enjoying time gaming with the kids Bob. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My local Game store (Guardian Games) just go their liqour license and we can now drink beer while playing games!!! /WIN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeatPete View Post
    My local Game store (Guardian Games) just go their liqour license and we can now drink beer while playing games!!
    Jealous!

I think that's really the way forward. A gaming tavern opened up 3 years or so ago up in Frederick, Maryland. I haven't had a chance to visit there, but I heard it was very well received. I hope it's still doing well. What a perfect formula. I've often daydreamed of opening a game tavern in Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia. However, I know from prior experience what it's like to be an entrepreneur, and I no longer have the taste for it. I think Maelstrom Games should expand into a franchise and launch a store in the D.C. area. Like right now.

Enlightened Wamp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoGunBob View Post
    *Yeah, I know I've got them until they're at least thirteen, maybe fourteen, but time as a parent moves fast.
    Amen to that, Bob... amen. Our daughter just moved to Japan yesterday... furthest she's been from us now. :)

We've had a couple 'parents' like that in the game store before, but fortunately, they don't tend to keep coming to the store after a month or so. Perhaps it's all the glaring by the rest of us when the kids aren't behaving. lol (we do also have a couple of behaving kids, that are always welcome to play. :) )

@NeatPete: I'll mention that to our owner... if only liq.licenses weren't stupidly expensive. He is seriously considering carrying cigars for the cigar smokers however. (No smoking in the store, but there's a 'smoking lounge' out front.)
    Last edited by kdlynch; 04-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.