Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott vs The Russians

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries

Scott vs The Russians

So I wanted to take a break from the 28mm stuff I've been working on. I got the "Flower Power" challenge I need an idea for and this kid Hestan101 challenged me at CMoN to a beer themed fig paint-off so I needed something that wouldn't tax me too much. Rather then go that route I decided to work on a couple Russian Armies for Flames of War.

Flames of War is the best Mini game I've ever played. It's a blatant rip off of the GW style games, only much improved with a really great flow to the game. I love it! It's 15mm which means that the tanks are slightly bigger than your average 28mm project and the infantry is way, way smaller and a real pain to work on. Infantry painting is probably the only reason I haven't gone fully over to FoW and left my other mini painting stuff behind.

Anyway I wanted to make as much use of my airbrush and my new Vallejo Model Air color paint sets as possible on the armor. This is a big long term project and I don't know how many starts and stops it's gonna take to "Git 'er done.".

So I thought I would start simple with a couple T-34's and a five man infantry stand. The Armor is painted mostly ripping the techniques from the excellent article called "For the love of painting" by MoMini's in the gallery section at flamesofwar.com the link I tried required a login so I can't provide one.

The tanks are primed black, then primed white again from a single angle about 45 degrees above the model and rotated around. This is supposed to help create some built in highlights to the model. We'll find out...

While I waited for that to dry I prepped and primed 5 russian infantry figs. There's a GW dwarf there for scale purposes for those who aren't acquainted with the size difference 15mm makes.

After that was done the primer was ready for some airbrushin' so I headed back out to the garage. I applied VMAC Russian Green in about 3 passes over the two models. I am trying to take some shortcuts so I also tried to apply a little bit of rough highlights using VMAC Gunship Green on the high points. It's not that visible in the picks but you can see some evidence on the near turret in the pic.

These models will be extensively weathered so I am not too worried about the rough appearance of the highlights or paint on the road wheels at this point. It's all going to get quite a bit more attention once I start weathering it. Next step is some decals.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion
    "Who needs weights? Animals don't lift weights, and animals are STRONG!"
    -Chuck "the Truck" Wallace

Nice use of golf T's! Very clever! I might just go get some to use on tiny bits that need painting before assembly.
    Keeper quote: "I've got 10 inches, here!!"

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it's from the 15mm guys at the flames of war site. I live across the street from a golf course, but I haven't really golfed in years. They look at you funny when you walk in and just buy a couple bags of cheap tees and obviously have no intention of golfing with them.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion

Would you really WANT to associate with ... Golfers?? :/

I'd quite like to try some smaller scale stuff actually - least that way I might actually FINISH a whole squad! :D

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    that is a good idea
    Available for Commissions Like my Facebook Page: Brett Johnson Designs

Shop at the Wampstore Wamp Corporate

Like the Golf Tee's it certainly makes the job easier. I'm thinking of doing some historicals soon, I'll be interested in how you do these.

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Okay, so I did a little (very little) research on Soviet tank markings. The other 15mm stuff I have done included Americans and Germans almost exclusively and their vehicles were rather extensively marked. Not so the Russians! They just sort of slapped some paint on 'em and got them out there. They weren't too worried about getting organizational marking etc. on the vehicles. Lazy Russians! Suites me just fine though. So since these are going to be two vehicles out of something like 32 when finished I just plopped a red star on one side of the turret and moved on. The decals go on pretty standard.

I prep the surface with a layer of Vallejo gloss varnish. I soak the decal and apply Micro Sol to the surface of the turret and place the decal on. I wait about 3 seconds then blob lots of Micro Sol on the surface. These were flat surfaces but the two part system of micro sol and micro set make decals super easy. For anyone out there using decals you NEED to pick this product up. I've put decals over zimmerit (Very, very contoured surface) and it looks like paint when done. Of course most of you out there could just freehand this stuff... After the decals are dry (Wait at least a couple hours) I put on a layer of matte varnish....

The above image is after I've applied a very thin wash of oil paint and turpentine. The technique I used I stole from a dude with the handle MoMini's from the Flames of War official site. I would provide a link but the ones I try to set up need a log in. It's in the gallery section stickied and it's called "For the love of painting". It's a great article that takes you from start to finish of some really great looking panzer IV's. It's worth the look.

In a nutshell you take some artist's oils, I used a small amount of Burnt Sienna and an equal amount of Lamp Black and dilute it in gum spirits of turpentine. I actually went quit a bit thinner then MoMini's suggested after using it on some previous projects and it's maybe 5% paint to 95% turpentine. Once dry you can always take a brush wet it in turpentine to take some of the wash away. The washes purpose at this point it to bring some definition to the vehicle and shade the recesses. It'll be weathered quite a bit later, so the finish need not be perfect. This wash needs to be left to dry for about a full day before the next step. Here's another shot of the hull that should show the difference from the clean layers of airbursh applied paint to it's current state....

Next step is to get the tracks brought up to snuff!
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    i think the russians were churning out the tigers at an astonishing rate at the end of the war - they were driven off the production line by the actual tank driver and straight to the front line from there. no time for go faster stripes!!

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    That was actually Mid-War during the battle of Stalingrad. Tanks would come off the line from the "Red Oktober" Tractor factory and head right into the fray without paint and many of the details finished.
    Tigers were German tanks amigo.
    Awards:
    Wamp Monthly Champion

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    sorry, im so used to hollywood changing the history of it i get confused!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast