Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo editing tools - PS CS5 or Lightroom or ?

I started off using Photoshop CS2, but lost it when I had to reinstall Windows (though some would say I lost it some time before that - go figure).

Since then, the GIMP has satisfied my photo-tweaking needs.
    Awards:
    Photogenic!
    My blog: The Renaissance Gamer - Last updated: 28/07/2011 - Why does he game? (Guest blog by Keeper)

Irregular Miniature Paintfest 2011 - Sunday 17th July

The other editor of Irregular

Winner -
    WAMPed! Most entries

Dysartes' WIPs - 2011 Edition | Dysartes' Completed Work - 2011 Edition

GiMP all the way - but then I'm another of those Linux weirdo's

Lead Mountain
    Digital Miniatures
    <url="http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/group.php?groupid=6]WAS[/url]

Doesn't matter what OS you use as far as I am concerned, as much as I would like a legal copy of Photoshop CS5 600 to 800 for a package is just outrageous.

Gimp is just as good and with the various add ons you can download it can be just as good if not better.

Owt for nowt, if it's free give it to me as my brother days
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Gimp is probably good for what you want it to do but it definitely doesn't have the power that Photoshop has. Photoshop is the big name in graphic design and photo-editing software for a reason and the tools that it provides are definitely worth the money if you know how to use them to their potential. That said, if you are just tweaking the lighting and contrast then by all means use Gimp since it doesn't make sense to spend $1000 on something that you can get for free.

Blog Entries
    It's cheaper to buy an Adobe bundle than to get PS on it's own. I have the web bundle, I got it when I thought I was going to freelance.
    "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
    I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Banned Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I've been in the graphics industry for a long time (before computers were even thought concevalble to graphic design). When they were, I started using paintbox on the Omega and quark, on the Mac. The PC didn't have much going for it back then but things have certainly changed, as did I and I now prefere pc. Over the years I have used a few photo editing apps and I have some amazing things done on all of them. So at the end of the day, get one that suits your budget and spend a few days learning how to use it. Paintshop Pro, Painter, Gimp, Photoshop and probably a few more; when it all boils down for manipulating colour on an image they all do the same thing at the end of the day.

Edit - I thought I'd add, if you do get a cheaper (or free) app then spend the money that you save on a tablet and a monitor calibration tool. These will make life much easier and speed up that learning curve.
    Last edited by shanerozzell; 22-12-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Awards:
    Wamp Award

Blog Entries
    Ah, Deluxe Paint II on Windows 3.1 - those were the days (and yes, before that I had a zx spectrum)
    "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
    I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    and yes, before that I had a zx spectrum
    *Falls into well of nostalgia*
    Communications Officer, Azalean Models
    ----
    Making people feel better about their own lead mountains since 2006!
    ----
    "Metal is cheap and very hard, and I can't get the hand drill to go any deeper." - Boris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12