Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Mako's new WIP of more randomness

That's more by luck than design I suspect, although I did put a glaze of the blackish colour round the areas that would be compressedto try and help with that look!

The dress was pretty simple, just a darkened turquoise and blue mix, shaded with brown and black and highlighted with white. I did run through the midtones quite quickly - The dress is a copy of one I bought a girl a few years ago, it was satin so I tried to replicate it.

Its good she's worked out so well, i really wasn't convinced at first she wasn't going to end up in paint stripper a second time!
    A model what I painted: My WIP thread
    A rather large sculpt: Take two

Beautiful dress color and freehand pattern! Mind sharing the colors u used for her dress? I really like the effect and might give it a try on one of my next minis. :)

No problem, it started as a 1:1:1 mix of VMC black, VGC jade green and GW hawk turquoise. I shaded it by adding in little bits of VGC charred brown and the black and diluting it half way to being a wash, then retouched the mid tones with a glaze or two. I then worked my way up to 1:1 turquoise and green, and the final highlight was a couple of thin layers of that with a touch of white in it. I then made up a very thin wash of the black, and put a thin coat of that on to smooth some of the blending together.

Hope that helps!

Nae problem!

I've had an idea for something to try on the next showgirl, but I really need to finish Cassandra first or she'll never get done. And after all this effort, that would just be daft...

Ok, I totally failed to stay focused on Cassandra. Here's the next showgirl, and it's time for a game of 'Name that race'!

i painted this skin tone intending one thing, although it didn't turn out like I planned I like it so I want to keep it. Bu in order to figure out what hair and eyes to put on, I wanted to work out exactly what skin tone it looks like! So, if anyone has an opinion on what region or nationality or whatever, do say, and I'll then be able to put appropriate hair colouring on. I suspect brown-black hair, although I'm open to suggestions...

Also, as Fet pointed out on PB, her legs are a little pale comparatively, but they'll be covered in patterned stockings so I'm not worried about that. They'll get darker soon! So the face and shoulders is probably the area to focus on.

Cheers!

7. Loving your work This user likes what you had to say. Good on Ya! Spectral Dragon

Wamp Incarnate
    Blog Entries
    Chinese or indonesian?

Lovely work so far Mako. Her face looks slightly the wrong shape to me for Chinese, Indonesian would be good as would the sub-continent as there's quite a range of skin tones from North to South. Fet is right about the lower part of the legs though.

A community driven repository aimed at the whole miniature painting community.
    Contributions can be made directly in the Wiki or by contacting the admin team here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The concept of 'why' is way more important to understand than the question of 'how' (which is only ever a variation of 'get paint - paint paint')." - Orki, November 2010.

Yeah, I was aiming for chinese but the face just didn't work for me. Still, if Indonesian seems to be the look, then I'll claim that as a success - having an identifiable race is surprising to me!

I'm glad the legs will be covered with stockings as they would need toning down otherwise, but they'll get sorted as the stockings go on. Whenever that is...

Well, progress wasn't too long in coming, not done the stockings yet, but the dress turned out pretty much how I wanted. Always a nice surprise when that happens...

Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast