Signup Now
Come on sign up, you know you want to. It's free and easy and you get to be even more awesome!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: knott v. Exilesjjb - "Always Out Numbered, Never Out Gunned" - RESULTS!

Blog Entries

knott v. Exilesjjb - "Always Out Numbered, Never Out Gunned" - RESULTS!

These two challengers have fought their way through and their entries are in your sights for voting.

This will be Open Voting (x/10 for Theme; x/10 for Overall) with voting closing on Sunday, October 24, 2010.

And here are the entries:

knott:

exilesjjb:

Good luck to both of you!
    To equate intelligence and wisdom with occupation is, at best, insulting.

Enlightened Wamp warhammergrimace's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Knott: 7/10 Theme
    9/10 Overall

I'm not quite sure how this quite meets the theme, as it says always out numbered never out gunned, it meets the never out gunned, though for me I can't see how it meets the out numbered part of the theme. It's very nicely painted and is a great duel piece.

Exile; 9/10 Theme
    8/10 Overall

British Infantry for me meets the theme perfectly as they were on the whole always out numbered but never out gunned. Overall it could have maybe done with some Zulus or something to help give the piece something more, I'd have prefered to see some enemy on the base as well.
    Awards:
    Blog Award
    http://musketswordpaint.wordpress.com/
    http://irregular-magazine.com
    http://warhammergrimace.wordpress.com/
    http://paper.li/jbhubbard

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy."

Wamp Guru
    Blog Entries
    Knott: 7/10 Theme
    9/10 Overall

Exile; 9/10 Theme
    8/10 Overall

have to agree with warhammergrimmace's comments on both of these entries, great work though and good luck!
    "I lOVE your attitude Wag - painting for the hell of it, because you want to - one of the best things I did was invite you over here as to me you invoke the wamp spirit perfectly." - thankyou DL !

"...you've done things with Blood Bowl Orcs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Certainly wouldn't have thought they were sensible!..." - Lobo, Iron Painter 8 competition

Blog Entries
    knott
    Theme 5/10 sorry, but it's only half the theme for me
    Overall 9/10 scoring high for the action. I really love the toppling guy and the smoking gun, and the broken doors. Great storytelling.

exiles
    Theme 4/10 I guess I'm missing some historical perspective on this, but I'm just not feeling the theme here. O
    Overall 7.5/10 I really like the paintwork, but the plinth is a bit too big which spoils it. Also the bases are not the same colour as the ground which looks a bit odd.

I've been picky guys - but these are both excellent pieces.
    "Resin...I think I just threw up a little" - ARG
    I have not bought a miniature since Nov 2010.

Knott:
    Theme: 5/10 You need a few more bodies lying around to meet the theme better.
    Overall: 9/10 Excellent work. You put a lot of emotion into the piece.

exiles:
    Theme: 5/10 I guess I'm too much of an American to understand how this fits the theme.
    Overall: 8/10 Everything is excellent, except the bases. I'd give you 9 out of 10 if they matched the display base.
    Some tales are best left for the light of day.

Check out my website at www.talespinnerminis.com.

Super Wamp
    knott
    Theme: 6/10
    Overall: 9/10
    Great scene, the story is immediately clear.

exiles
    Theme 6/10
    Overall: 8/10
    Looks good, the figures really go well together and you can see some kind of interaction. I do agree with the above mentions comments on the base.

As for theme I gave you both a 6. It might be that I don't understand the quote in the theme really, but I don't see the outnumbering part.
    Great work for both though :)

Knott
    Theme - 7 The theme is inferred but not obvious, agree that a couple of bodies would have been great.
    Overall - 9 Very nice piece overall, alot of work has gone into the scene. I like the little touches and the painting is very good, particularly the guy being shot.

Exiles
    Theme - 9 British infantry, Zulu wars, meets the theme for me but I appreciate that those without the historical perspective might miss this.
    Overall - 7 Colours are a little flat for me and the base could do with more variety in the grass height but the other ground work is good. You have chosen 2 nice figures and I like the way they interact.

Enlightened Wamp
    Knott

Theme 6/10
    Overall 8/10

Not obviously outnumbered, unfortunately, but I like the scene and the painting.

Exiles

Theme 7/10
    Overall 7/10

More in theme, but they do look like they're standing in puddles of wee!
    CMON Gallery / Me on Putty&Paint/ Wamp Gallery / Black Hand Painting Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalGamer View Post
    You people scare me

Quote Originally Posted by Iacton View Post
    but they do look like they're standing in puddles of wee!
    So would you if you were facing a few thousand Zulu's

Knott

Theme: 5/10
    As mentioned by most this scene is nicely executed but is let down by the lack of figures involved, a few more bodies or even an extra gun in the had would have brought this up as it is at the moment it just reminds me of a bar room brawl carried over the the outside of the building.

Overall: 8/10
    Paint job looks very nice

Exilesjjb

Theme: 7/10
    Once again as others have said some Zulu's would have tipped this more to the story of the theme.

Overall: 7/10
    I think a bit more attention to detail on the interface between the figures and the base itself would have help a lot.
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    "women are like minis - both are expensive hobbies, there's always better looking ones on the internet, many dont look so good with age. Only difference is minis are easier to strip" - Darklord

"If you love something set it free. If it loves you it will come back for revenge" - From the Reaper Dark Maiden box.

Knott
    Theme : 5/10
    Overall : 7/10
    Definitely shows not being outgunned but does`nt portray being outnumbered sorry, but a nicely made diorama all the same.

Exiles
    Theme : 5/10
    Overall : 7/10
    Nice little diorama that sort of shows part of the theme never out gunned but as was said by WHG needs some zulu`s or some spears in the ground in front of them to help show the outnumbered part of the theme.

Good luck guys they are both good entries
    "Painting is so poetic, while sculpture is more logical and scientific and makes you worry about gravity" - Damien Hirst

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast